Hockeymatt79 Operator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrgin

Survival Staff
Reaction score
In-game username: - Hockeymatt79
Staff references (Op+): - Biblius, NogTrog, 77_is_the_best, Stretford01, JtTorso
Other Blocktopia staff experience (present and past): -Trusted on Classic Zombie survival
How would you describe the responsibility and obligation of the rank you apply for: - The rank of Operator on Dusk of Discordia would consist of being patient and approaching every situation with a positive attitude. An operator will also have to make sure that everyone is being treated fairly, by listening to everyone involved in a situation and nobody has an unfair advantage such as using disallowed mods. Represent staff and Blocktopia positively. Recognising that the members of the server are more important than your personal needs while playing.
Assume that there are more applicants and can only pick one of them, why you?: - I am very familiar with the rules of Dusk of Discordia I have a consistently increasing amount of time online on the server.
If there is a problem you aren’t sure of how to deal with, what will you do: - If there was a problem that I was not sure of a reasonable conclusion I would ask someone with more experience than myself for advice and see how they handle the situation so I can learn from it and understand how to approach the problem next time. I can explain the story as I take it to all members of the problem and quickly resolve the problem.
If a staff member of equal or higher rank is acting up, what will you do: - I will make photographic evidence as I have in the past and quickly give it to someone who has more power than I in this situation. Then I will politely confront the person privately to not embarrass or make matters worse for everyone on the server to see.
What is your most noticeable weakness, and how will you work to fix it: - I can become impatient at times when people do not take me seriously or recognize the importance of what I am trying to share with them. This can cause me to make a quick decision at times.
Tell us about yourself in less than 200 words: - I am a 16 year old Canadian, I joined Classic Blocktopia just a few days over 2 years ago. I have made my mark in the community on teamspeak, the servers and at events most people in the community know me or have heard of me.
If you have any extra information you’d like to share, please do so here: - I would like to thank you for taking your time to read over this application and I will see you on Dusk of Discordia.
-Matt

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Matt is someone who understands both the culture of SMP as well as the culture of PvP and raiding. I think I've come to the realization that DoD is very different from JtE. Diplomacy was the only way at the time, not war takes precedence over methods used by leaders such as myself. I do not understand the intricacies of PvP, or the culture at large. Current staff such as Danni do, and so do candidates like Matt. We need staff who have been on both sides of the rules, who understand the rules to a letter. I would not joke to say that Matt likely knows the rules better than I do. Let that sink in.

I am aware of his controversial history. It would not be a stretch to say having him on the team would be a risk. A risk is taken any time any staff member is added to the team. A risk was taken when Ogarci & Dirtcake accepted an Operator application from someone who was just demoted months ago for vandalism and power abuse. Many months later, that Operator became a Controller. We take a risk when we take in new staff. However, without this risk the servers would fall apart. We cannot only take squeaky-clean staff with no bad history whatsoever, those aren't the only players that need staff. We need people who understand the rulebreakers, the PvP'ers, the exploiters and the hackers. Matt understands these groups far better than I, and I'd venture to say he understands them better than many members of our current DoD staff.

Did not many of us come from scratch beginnings? When I first played TheOne's Lava Survival I was banned by Deadl0ck for something as trivial as arguing with the banning of my brother. I've been demoted from my ranks at least twice, and have faced multiple warnings. Here I stand before you, years later, to tell you that all of us who may seem lesser or less desirable, we have an understanding of those we ban. We understand how it is to be warned and band and distrusted. For this reason, we can sympathize with those who face similar positions. Do we show unnessecary leniency? Of course not, but we can certainly relate to and explain what they're going through.

Matt has dedicated much of his time and energy to this server, and I would be grateful to have such a person as DoD staff. I vote +1, and wish you the best luck.

EDIT: Ratings have been locked on this thread to prevent trolling and flaming. Let's act like adults here, please.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Vrgin and rosekill

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
I am honestly split on my vote at the moment, I will respond by friday with an actually vote. Best of luck until than Matt!

Okay, power was out yesterday (3/13/14), but I'm here now! I will vote a [BCOLOR=#00ff00]+1[/BCOLOR] on your application, as you seem to be worthy of a trial for a few reasons. Sure you have a troubled history, but I believe in the policy of 'Forgive, not forget'. I've seen you progressively get mature and mature from the times of classic zombies to now, and you have a stellar ontime.

Best of luck Matt!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vrgin

JtTorso

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people change and go from being problematic to the ideal player, the reason I gave you my reference was because of your change in attitude. This year I was pleasantly surprised by how people have changed and earned my respect, some people on the other hand won't ever reach that point, but you certainly have. You're active, helpful, friendly, and even when it comes to PvP you've proven to respect other players and even be generous, and for these many reasons you've earned +1.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
You have fucked up, several times, seriously fucked up.

So have I.

Ever since your global unban, I have seen a slow but steady change. The change have been drastical. You are now helping out much on the server, the rules, neither friendlyness (Is that a word?) nor being helpful is a problem here, since you are doing all these great.

Trust is the last issue here. If you had applies one month ago, I would have been negative towards this application, that is how much you have changed. I have really been watching you the last weeks hockey, and I have found nothing worrying at all.

I want to see a trial on this guy, and let him show if he is up for it.

1+

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

You were globally banned two times within the past year basically, the last one being relatively recent. You were nearly banned on DoD with numerous warnings and issues arising. To be completely honest, you seemed to have possibly caused more problems than you have diffused.

I don't think with this all this given, you have had enough time to even prove/redeem yourself. I do notice change but it is as danni said, very slow. And when a problem arises on the server you have seemed to sometimes make it worse of an issue.

Hell, I can definitely see you sometime in the future obtaining a rank upon the server, your activity is outstanding and you have a wide knowledge of the ins and outs of the server and PVP in general.

However, I just do not feel safe to give someone a TrialOp rank to uphold the rules with other individuals when they have had problems following those same rules within the past few months. Furthermore, I hope this is not taken wrongly but just my opinion as always.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
If I had been asked six months ago if I would reference Hockeymatt79 the answer would of been a quick and flat "no". But that would've been my mistake because this is one of those perfect examples of a player who was a troublemaker turning into a player who I would consder a role model on the server.Posting this application alone shows a great deal about your character. You don't give up. Applying for the Operator rank with five references after being globally banned not that long ago is unheard of and I feel it takes guts.

On the server you show maturity, and activity both important traits for the operator rank. In my opinion your helping is lacking a lot, but I do understand how hard it can be to find ways to give a hand helping the players when you're so limited. Operator I hope will fix that giving you more means to help the other players. We have the TrialOp rank for a reason to let you prove yourself and I feel this will help you prove to all the staff your ability to staff alongside them.

I vote, +1.​

Last edited:

asaechao

─═☆The Blue Bird☆═─
Reaction score
I will be voting a 0 leaning towards a +1. I have seen in-game that you have been mature, and active, the only thing I need to see in, is some improvement in helpfulness.

It worries me a bit because you have been banned a few times, but everyone has their bad moments.
In fact, I've been banned once and look where I ended up.

Good luck! :)

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
When hockeymatt asked me for a reference, I was seriously suprised but when I thought about it, he actually desserves it. He has become way more mature than he previously was and I think he has the right attitude for stepping up into a position such as this.
There has been a serious change here, definitely for the better and without hesitation I give him a +1.

Stretford01

Out of this World
Reaction score
When I first met matt, he was a guy who's reputation went down like a rock. Globally banned. Nobody would even talk to him. On DoD, now he has a very good clan, has 4th best ontime, and also helps many newcomers. I would seriously consider giving him at least a trial.
+1

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
I've been thinking very hard about this application.

One one hand, I have noticed changes coming from you matt. You have been probably the most active player on the server as of late, with extensive knowledge of how the sever works as well. You tend to be helpful, answering new players questions and concerns with ease.

On another hand, I have been considering your global ban but, more then that, considering your warnings on the server itself. The global ban was a decent time ago, but as of less then two months ago (if I recall correctly) you had four different warnings.

But thinking about this, I realized: These warnings as of now have mostly all expired, and the change is noticable. I'm willing to give it a shot.

+1.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
It looks like all the valid points positive and negative have been said.

Nothing really more for me to add save for the fact that my interaction with him has been positive and does not follow the hype.

Since most people only grow a negative opinion based on the hurt felings from pvp and raiding, even though its a part of the server basis.

I'll vote +1

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi hockeymatt,

So we discussed this a bunch (Sparkly, me, and Oak and Danni) and have come to a conclusion. While a lot of the responses here are positive we still see hesistation, and to be fair - the negatives that are brought up are still true. It's been observed that it seems your past actions and reputation on the server - which we can all agree was rough - glorifies how well you act now. But still, we feel it could take more time to show us you know what it means to staff DoD and that you've truly moved on and can pass the test of time.

It is commendable that you decided to apply though, and you are most certainly on the right path. I can see you being staff sometime in the future if you stay on it. I'd be laughed at if I said that a few months ago.

Thanks for applying, I hope you can still have a good time on the server despite this, and good luck if you apply again!

Status
Not open for further replies.