Help Becoming Trusted

catmss24

Reaction score
Hey, recently I've been trying to get references for the trusted application. So far, no luck. Does anyone have any advice/help for getting a reference. They also say I need to be more helpful, and I don't exactly know how to be helpful in zombie survival.
Please Help! :)

catmss4

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Hey, recently I've been trying to get references for the trusted application. So far, no luck. Does anyone have any advice/help for getting a reference. They also say I need to be more helpful, and I don't exactly know how to be helpful in zombie survival.
Please Help! :)

catmss4
Be helpful, active, friendly, and mature. Also, if you have to ask how to be helpful, you're probably not quite ready yet. ;) Good luck though!

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
With so many staff around, it can be hard to find a way to be helpful. A couple tips:
  • The help you give shouldn't interfere with an Op's job, or be backseat opping. For example, if an Operator is dealing with a WoM user, pitching in and telling "y wom is bad" is probably a bad idea.
  • While we have lots of staff, there are still some questions that go unanswered. If you know the answer, tell them!
  • That being said, it's better to admit you don't know the answer to something rather than give a wrong answer. You should be fully confident of a subject before you try explaining it to others. If you DO need clarification on a subject, you can ask Ops, they should be able to clear up confusion.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, may edit later if I think of more tips.

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
I went through the same problem, so I can sorta say I have 'experience' on this.

Well, for a start, be online as much as you can, it makes you seem like you are dedicated to this server, and that you won't just ditch the server.

Another thing:
PAY ATTENTION TO CHAT
This helps you see more oppurtunities to help out.

Apart from that, nill covers it.

snowma

Dwarf
Donor
Reaction score
First you must pick a spirit anim-

When you want to become a trusted you are always on the look out for rulebreakers to report to various staff. Just think first before you sprout that they are rule breaking in chat. Double check these things :) dont feel the urge to do it just because it will gain you brownie points. (Which it does. We are always on the look out for people checking for rule breakers and not just answering questions in chat)

Stieben

Reaction score
But yeah, a tip that I can give you is that you should try to type fast with as little grammar and/or spelling mistakes as possible. Begin sentences with a capital letter, because that makes it look more mature (to me at least). Do not get angry at people who are not immediatly following the rules, try to stay calm.
And of course: Stay happy a be nice guy :D

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
I-wish-to-add-in-a-thing-about-answering-questions.

As-stated-before:-PAY-ATTENTION.

What-I've-always-noticed-is-that-there-is-always-an-obligatory-answer-to-everything-and-that-you-should-be-ready-to-back-that-person-up-who-answers-the-question.

For-example:
00:01:02 Player 1: What is this?
00:01:13 Player 2: This is Zombie Survival. A game of hide and seek.
00:01:17 Player 2:Right now you are a zombie ((red name)) and you chase after humans ((white names))
00:0018 Player 3: As a human you run from zombies and hone your skills in hiding within the maps given to you.

I-know-that-might've-been-hard-to-follow-so-let-me-explain. From-second-17-to-18-there-was-no-short-pause. The-chat-is-always-moving-and-sometimes-it's-hard-to-get-the-answer-to-new-players. What-player-3-did-here-is-write-up-the-next-information-that-player-2-was-explaining. Basically-you-backed-player-2-up-who-might-now-be-as-a-fast-typer. There's-always-room-for-more-information-and-it's-nessecary-to-not-ever-try-to-over-speak-a-person-or-repeat-information.

Bluh. That's-all-I-have-to-add-and-if-you-had-a-hard-time-following-ask-and-I'll-try-to-explain-it-more-easier. C:

Malacath

God of Orcs & Destruction
Reaction score
I want to tell my part too!
Hold on, here it comes!

What's definitly important is being yourself. Pretending your behaviour would be bad since trusted's need to be, guess it or not, trustworthy. If someone has a question and for example an op answers it before you you can always back his asnwer up (like trap said). But it's unwise to give the same answer to that person.
Exampe might help more :
Player 0 is afk
Player1 : what does afk mean?
Player2 : It means away from keyboard
Player3 : It means away from keyboard

Giving the same answer which is already given looks kinda silly. Try to be more like this instead:
Player 0 is afk
Player1 : what does afk mean?
Player2 : It means away from keyboard
Player3 : You can also use that command yourself typing /afk, so we know you're gone for a while.

I hope it helps in someway.

May the force be with you

Reactions: Trap_Wolf

Summer10

Reaction score
Also, follow the rules.. I saw you got warned for rule 5 which is a VERY basic rule to comprehend. I suggest before you do anything else you work on understanding the /rules.

catmss24

Reaction score
Another question, how long did it take you guys to get references, and what kind of things did you say/do? And how did you ask?

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Well back in my day we didn't need references, they just helped out.

However in that case that you are asking, it varies greatly. Getting references from operators can be easy or hard, and varies greatly from person to person. You may see someone who tried getting references later than you get them before you.

One reason for this is how well you stand out. We look for people, yes who are mature and friendly but also people who show they like this community and want to help it out. Getting us to see you as someone who wants to help out instead of someone who just wants a bit more power over other people is important.

I also don't want to see a player that I have never heard of (depending on timezones, If I don't see you due to this it is a different story) try to become a trusted member.

All in all I want you to stand out from the ordinary player. Show us that you are indeed interested in becoming a staff member to better the community. I joined because I hated how people would break rules just to mess with people and I wanted to put and end to it. Show me qualities like that and you will surely get my reference.

Also get to be known in the community for things you do. Helping out on the forums doesn't hurt.

These are just a few tips and things I like to see in trusted or trusted applicants.

Reactions: Malacath

Malacath

God of Orcs & Destruction
Reaction score
Well back in my day we didn't need references, they just helped out.

However in that case that you are asking, it varies greatly. Getting references from operators can be easy or hard, and varies greatly from person to person. You may see someone who tried getting references later than you get them before you.

One reason for this is how well you stand out. We look for people, yes who are mature and friendly but also people who show they like this community and want to help it out. Getting us to see you as someone who wants to help out instead of someone who just wants a bit more power over other people is important.

I also don't want to see a player that I have never heard of (depending on timezones, If I don't see you due to this it is a different story) try to become a trusted member.

All in all I want you to stand out from the ordinary player. Show us that you are indeed interested in becoming a staff member to better the community. I joined because I hated how people would break rules just to mess with people and I wanted to put and end to it. Show me qualities like that and you will surely get my reference.

Also get to be known in the community for things you do. Helping out on the forums doesn't hurt.

These are just a few tips and things I like to see in trusted or trusted applicants.
And with this perfect help full preach I think you know pretty much everything what needs to be done now Cate. Just remember, relax, be yourself and help some peeps out and you should be doin' fine!

@ethical1337 Nice story eth. Really added the last sauce, yes, I mean it.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Tip: Don't talk over Operators, Or try to state your opinion, They'll accuse you of fighting :eek: