Grenades too over-powered?

Hardneck

Reaction score
Most weapons in this game have their own unique utility regarding effectiveness in their respective map-depended territory. Exceptions to this are minor differences in terms of vartierty, i.e, shotguns and pistols on narrows or close combat C4 and rockets on maps with holes. Grenades are a special case because they pretty much combine mortars, pistols and rockets, all the while excelling at getting high kill streaks and points. They can be used as instant TNT (also on flat maps), killing stuff in the direction in front of you and even as quick mortars when facing a height disadvantage. Aside from that, they are too fast too dodge if you aren't using /mark and pre-evading any possible weak points. On top of that, they are pretty much the most used weapon for 'skilled' players at the moment. Why is this bad?

Considering:

(1) monetary efficiency
(2) use/kills ratio
(3) usability % on maps/versatility
(4) price
(5) skill required

Grenades rank highest. (Obviously, there are relations between (1) to (4) and (5) if we don't assume maximized skill). Using non-upgraded mortar as an example, it's apparent that it has little versatility and usability on maps and therefor ranks as a below average weapon as a whole (exceptions include Frontier, Prison and most maps with cannons). Grenades should be changed because they rank too high on 1-4. I'll cut this short here.

tl;dr: current grenades are OP and make the game one-sided, one fix could include nerfing their speed (credit to razinao), also removing diagonal upgrade could make them less versatile

OldReliable

Reaction score
"Grenades too over-powered"

Well said. I don't know whats worse. Pistol spamming or grenades. Grenades never worked for me. Maybe my computer is slower.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
In my eyes, rockets and grenades are very similar. Rockets are useful in certain situations, grenades in others. But the fact that grenades don't require a block in the same Y level to explode them means that, in my eyes, grenades are much more useful than rockets.

As a (perhaps) temporary change, I did increase the price to 15. If they can be nerfed somehow, be it through slowing them down, removing the potentially overpowered upgrade or both, then I may reduce them again. It depends on what you guys want as to what happens with them.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
A possible set of nurfs:

Reduction in explosion size.

Modification to change how it travels, removing the instant-tnt feature.
• To do this: The grenade will only detonate when it cannot fall any further, i.e, hits a block. If it hits a wall, it will not move any more into the wall but slowly drop to the ground like it was normally falling.

Reduction in entity speed.

Reactions: pjaj

Super_Goku

ukoG_repuS
Reaction score
I would say slow the speed down and if there are still problems with grenades after that remove the upgrade then but I think that if the upgrade gets removed the price has to be put back to 12

• Agree
Reactions: Thymos

Maxyz73

Dawg
Reaction score
Grenades are a fun weapon, actually their implementation made me play on TNT much more :)

And the fact that you suicide when you place them too close near you, balances their instant tnt-effect a bit.
I think 15 is too much, cause comparing them with rockets,
those have the same price but they are more effective;
e.g. You can shoot them across the whole map, while grenades have a set range. Also rockets have better Upgrades.

I think 12 or 13 points for the grenade are enough.

Well but that's just my opinion :unsure: