Accepted Grand Architect

Bhyldir

Reaction score
Describe your suggestion:
Are you willing to work with our staff team to implement this suggestion? (It's okay to say no)
I feel like for people like me who have been Architect for a year or so now there isn't much cause other than to just build for fun and thats completely fine but I just feel like some of the motivation of building goes away since there isn't really a goal.

What I'm saying is I think there should be something to aim for even after hitting Architect, how to obtain this rank would be a different story though, some people have had the idea of Grand Architects getting handpicked which is a neat idea and would be a nice change than the current "build x ammount of plots then get refs apply etc..."

As for the perks of this rank, I was thinking of something like 10-20 more plots, kick permission perhaps, if you have more suggestions for the permissions please tell me.

Last edited:
  • Perfect
Reactions: Zelz and Rune

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I think that there should be prerequisites, especially for a higher rank, just to establish a baseline that others can try to achieve instead of being handpicked by whoever will promote the player.
This makes it so that there aren't many biases when the player is promoted such as being buddies or sucking up to the staff that are promoting you.

One idea is to consider whether the player has made any contributions to this Community. Since it's a building rank - such contributions could be making maps for the other minecraft servers or helping out in building things for future servers such as SMP or Paintball.

Bhyldir

Reaction score
I think that there should be prerequisites, especially for a higher rank, just to establish a baseline that others can try to achieve instead of being handpicked by whoever will promote the player.
This makes it so that there aren't many biases when the player is promoted such as being buddies or sucking up to the staff that are promoting you.

One idea is to consider whether the player has made any contributions to this Community. Since it's a building rank - such contributions could be making maps for the other minecraft servers or helping out in building things for future servers such as SMP or Paintball.
Yeah, I was thinking about that aswell. I didn't know if I should've included it though, it felt a bit too much like having to build maps just for the rank but I think that is a good idea aswell, just someone that builds alot for the server and not just for fun would be a good candidate in my opinion.

Bhyldir

Reaction score
I guess I'll make a list of requirements to obtain the rank and I'll update it as suggestions are made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requirements
Architect Rank
Contribution to the Community (builds, lobbies, maps etc...)

D

Deleted member 4601

Rather than having the rank ladder extend further upwards perhaps we could have multiple ranks on the same level as architect but for completing different requisites which once obtained can be freely switched around like with achievements on AoD

Bhyldir

Reaction score
Rather than having the rank ladder extend further upwards perhaps we could have multiple ranks on the same level as architect but for completing different requisites which once obtained can be freely switched around like with achievements on AoD
Hmm, that definately sounds like a fresh idea for create, I assume you mean a rank like redstoner?

D

Deleted member 4601

Hmm, that definately sounds like a fresh idea for create, I assume you mean a rank like redstoner?
Perhaps, but I was thinking more on the lines of different architectural styles like Victorian or sci-fi or like more practical ones such as map builders or city builders or whatnot

Bhyldir

Reaction score
Perhaps, but I was thinking more on the lines of different architectural styles like Victorian or sci-fi or like more practical ones such as map builders or city builders or whatnot
Hmm, I guess it would definately add more to the rank but I'm not sure how I feel about that, I don't know if the whole achievement style system would fit into Create after giving it some thought, I think I've found a way to perhaps somewhat implement your idea but it would maybe have to change the way Architect is obtained aswell, say to get Architect someone would need to build the standard 1 adv sized plot in any theme, perhaps Grand Architect could be a builder that could build in 3+ themes that include either structure, terraformation, organics etc... so this would be 3 adv sized plots with different themes to showcase the persons skill.

D

Deleted member 4601

The thing about Grand Architect or really any rank of that nature though is that Architect already has incredibly high building standards for most people and having additional ranks just to cater to the insatiable needs for more perks by building more not only saturates the rank ladder, but also makes the end look even more hopelessly unreachable than it currently is.

We could, as you said, change the requirements for Architect to accommodate Grand Architect, but Create isn't RoF and the sheer difficulty of obtaining anything higher than advanced builder causes any more ranks to have increasingly negligible or even negative net benefit for increasingly higher costs - this is why if Create's going to expand its rank structure, it would be a good idea to expand laterally instead, because stacking goals on top of one another isn't particularly stable for the server in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Firstly, thank you for the idea. Secondly, I'm all for this. The only thing is that we don't have many archs as it is, but I can think of people who are worthy of an even higher rank. It would be nice if we could implement the rank alongside extra perms, especially warns/kicks, which means we would have to be extremely careful about who we rank up however once you're that high of a rank anyway, I'm pretty sure us staff can trust you. (EDIT: I'm mostly for the idea of warns, kicks are rarely even needed on a creative server anyway tbh. I'm not too sure how to word it but I feel like giving a non-staff rank perms like a warn would be really nice because I don't like the idea of them being completely powerless. I want people to feel like they can make a change to the server, it's not just staff that influence it. Also a reminder that if anyone does abuse any perms, they will be demoted and this has always been the case.)

As for Mulb's idea of ranks, I think titles would be pretty neat if the person wanted one, however ranks I don't see the point in as we don't have any perm changes we could do for them. Even if we did, I don't want to limit people to specific building styles, etc. because I believe it's best we let people explore their imagination. (Freaky and I discussed this and I think she's chill with people having titles that show off your speciality so long as that's all they are as other titles are obtained through competitions, so feel free to ask us about that)

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Bhyldir

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I don't think there are enough architects to make a new higher rank and obviously giving kick permissions or something is a terrible idea.
I do think it's a good idea to change the create system to feel more rewarding for both lower and higher ranks. A possible solution to keep architects interested it to make a head architect role which only 1 person can hold and each week/2 weeks/month a new one gets picked based on what they build. This adds some competitiveness and gives a reason for architects to build to get or keep head architect role.

• Agree
  • Thank You
Reactions: Bhyldir and Poe

FreakyCupcake

Discord Director, SMP Mod
Reaction score
At this present moment in time I don't think there'd be much of a benefit of creating another rank such as "Grand Architect" for existing Architects (there's only five Architects at the moment) to aim for. The staff members before me had allocated certain plugins and permissions to Architects with the intention that it would be the final non-staff rank that players could achieve. If we were to create another rank it would most likely be devoid of any real substance.

I agree with what Mulb said - we created the Architect rank and promoted the five people who currently have it on the basis that they satisfied incredibly high building standards. A "Grand Architect" rank would be difficult to create unless we lowered the requirements for the Architect rank in order to distinguish the two ranks enough in terms of our expectations for the quality of the buildings. I'd possibly be in favour of allowing Architects or a rank higher than that to kick and warn but it's not something that I can imagine would be used enough to warrant its implementation at the moment. I'll consider possibly adding this though.

As for an alternative, I think that instead of creating new ranks to sit laterally alongside existing ranks, we could possibly include titles to reflect what's been mentioned in this discussion such as those who have mastered certain aspects of building such as Terraforming/City Building/Redstone etc or those who have mastered building in a particular theme. It would be nice to recognise those who have contributed to the server in a meaningful way or by giving more permanent rewards such as titles to competition winners.

I'll be declining the suggestion of adding another rank above Architect for now but I'll add titles (or something similar to titles) if It's possible to do so in a practical manner.

(Thanks everyone for discussing this and suggesting some pretty good ideas, I appreciate it a lot)

• Thank You
Reactions: Bhyldir