General Rant: Complaint Central

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Ugh

Ok, yeah, I suppose I can give a rant here, about this thread.

It is completely unnecessary. It has already descended into jokes, in fact, pretty much every post here is a joke. I could even argue that the OP is a joke, even though I'm not too sure of Hunter's original intention when he posted it. I have no doubt that the thread that inspired this one was the one that Kordra posted about cliques and lack of content, which, like any other serious discussion in this whole community, descended into insults and (surprise, surprise) jokes rather quickly, so the question I have to ask myself is this: is this thread a serious one that just got derailed or is it an attempt to get a few laughs out of the actually sad fact that we, as a community, can't keep discussions civil? Either way, I find that it's better to not have it.

If it's meant to be a serious thread where people can actually come and complain about things and rant about things, then, as has already been demonstrated, it doesn't work, because people will see it as a possibility to make a joke and get a few Funny or Winner ratings out of it. If people would actually use the thread for what it's for, ranting, then the negative impacts would be even greater, since you'd basically have pages worth of people complaining and whining about stuff, without the discussion that follows that would be aimed towards fixing the problem, and that results in people not agreeing with the rant or getting attacked by the rant being hurt from the rant, damaging the clearly fragile community relations even further. The only thing it would breed would be more arguments and drama, and you gotta ask yourself, is that really what we want?

If someone notices something they think shouldn't be like that, they should make a separate thread about it or shoot a PM to the staff. At least the disagreements and drama resulting from it would be limited to one topic.

Considering the possibility that it's a joke, well, I'll agree to the notion that laughs can make people feel better or whatever, but do it too much and people will take everything as a joke. Imagine you actually have a serious problem you'd like to discuss and then someone comes along and drops a cheap joke about it, everybody laughs, the actual problem is soon forgotten about, but never solved. You can't go forward in a manner like this, sometimes it's best to take the hard reality instead of jokes and see where it takes you.

Have to say, I find it quite ironic how the only actually serious rant in this thread is the one against this thread.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I think we could've expected this to happen.
Raise your eyes a bit. Just a tiny bit, yeah, now to the left.
Check the link you are currently at.
Blocktopia.net

Do not tell me you did not expect this to go horribly, HORRIBLY off-topic.

I think this is one of those times that the rules of the internet actually apply.
Rule 25. Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.
Rule 26. Any topic can be turned into something totally unrelated.

Speaking about rules of the internet.
We're still at blocktopia, So endersteve5 I'm willing to wager that there is a fair chance Rule 11 may come into effect:
Rule 11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
Rule 11.1. Anything you say, no matter how truthful or carefully picked, WILL be deemed wrong if the majority is against you.

Although I do not think this thread is really a necessity. People can just make a thread and people can reply to the thread according to it's own relevant topic. If we just have a bunch of rants here, let's say 5 at a time, and all 5 are being discussed this will just turn into a clusterfuck of unreadable rant-discussions.

D

DarkHender

why is blocktopia still with minecraft like ugh so boring lets go be like rust or tf2 or garys mod

Reactions: Pikmon2

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think we could've expected this to happen.
Raise your eyes a bit. Just a tiny bit, yeah, now to the left.
Check the link you are currently at.
Blocktopia.net

Do not tell me you did not expect this to go horribly, HORRIBLY off-topic.

I think this is one of those times that the rules of the internet actually apply.
Rule 25. Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.
Rule 26. Any topic can be turned into something totally unrelated.

Speaking about rules of the internet.
We're still at blocktopia, So endersteve5 I'm willing to wager that there is a fair chance Rule 11 may come into effect:
Rule 11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
Rule 11.1. Anything you say, no matter how truthful or carefully picked, WILL be deemed wrong if the majority is against you.

Although I do not think this thread is really a necessity. People can just make a thread and people can reply to the thread according to it's own relevant topic. If we just have a bunch of rants here, let's say 5 at a time, and all 5 are being discussed this will just turn into a clusterfuck of unreadable rant-discussions.
My point exactly.

• Agree
Reactions: Fiestaguy

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score
If we talked civil and on topic all the time we would get stuff done but at what cost. I find it good we make jokes. Keeps everything up beat and happy. Not saying we should make a joke about everything but, a joke here and there is good for the society as a whole. Just my two cents. Continue with day now.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
If we talked civil and on topic all the time we would get stuff done but at what cost. I find it good we make jokes. Keeps everything up beat and happy. Not saying we should make a joke about everything but, a joke here and there is good for the society as a whole. Just my two cents. Continue with day now.
I'm not saying we shouldn't make jokes. But a clusterfuck of GIF's and a chain of unserious stuff, overpowering the actual topic is too far. Maybe one or two sentences accompanied by a serious, normal reply would be fine. But this is just bullshit.

Reactions: Jivvi