Friday Gaming Event - 14th & 21st

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
OFICIALLY CANCELLED ON THE 21st DUE TO MALC BEING UNAVAILABLE. Please read below to find out why, and fill out the form so we can set up a big get together.
Unofficially, feel free to play before / after meeting.
This meeting (Depending on how many we get to play) and mostly next meeting, we will be taking part in playing Planetside 2 - a free to play MMOFPS.​
Planetside 2 is a science fiction MMOFPS that features 3 warring factions fighting for dominance over the planet Auraxis - with battles featuring up to 2000 Participants at any one time. Combat takes place with both heavy infantry, light infantry, heavy armour, light armour and even air. Both myself, Deadl0ck, dannyboymed and many others can vouch that it is endless hours of fun.​

Want to join us? It's as easy this!
  • If you have Steam, it is available on there as a free download.
  • Alternatively, go to www.planetside2.com Click "play free" - go through the motions and download it
  • Create an account
  • We will be playing on
    • server: waterson (US)
    • faction: terran republic
[gdoc]dFBYaWN4cHFFVjJHNEVYLTVUbHBGa3c6MQ[/gdoc]

Looking forward to seeing you!

AotsFTW

Reaction score
Maybe I will play with people this time instead of randomly shouting things in Teamspeak in a random room while the HA tries talking to me...

And yes, it is damn fun.

• Haha
Reactions: balloon98

Inon

Roses are red, violets are blue
Donor
Reaction score
and the race has begun! who will win?! the time it takes planetside 2 to squeeze down my slow internet connection OR the time from now till the meeting? the bets are out ladies and gentlemen.

Agent2479

Born without a face
Reaction score
Hi, mac users complaining about your $10,000 shiny metal object not being able to run a game.
Steam is native on the mac... It's just Planetside 2 isn't. But you can still run it.
"HOW DO I DO THAT ANGET"
Well....
Step 1.
Get Wineskin Winery. It's free. (if you're a more advanced user, you can use Wine instead)
Step 2.
Create a new blank wrapper.
Step 3.
Install Steam in the wrapper (download steam, then open the wrapper you made and set the installation file as SteamInstall.msi)
Step 4.
Login to steam and install PS2.
Step 5.
Enjoy. Also, I suggest you upgrade to a better machine, or dual boot with something that works. (EDIT: ohwaityourmacdisallowsthat)
"I still have a problem!"
If you have any game related bugs, just google "Planetside 2 WineHQ".
And yes, this works on Linux (wineskin isn't available for that--- there are alternatives however).
for the record, I don't generally like to support apple at all due to their bastardization of the technology industry and questionable ethics

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Next time you gotta buy a computer that you can play decent games on.

Be happy we're organizing something, as opposed to criticizing it.
I wasn't... I was just saying it would be nice if next time your picked a game for mac too. If my windows could handle I would go, I'm not saying its bad...

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I guess I can betray my New Conglomerate brethren this once...
Will there be an outfit / squad created just for this? =D
Or will all the discussion be in a Teamspeak room? (if there is one)

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Can we stop the silly Mac/PC discussions for once?

Todays Mac generation is very able and good at running cutting-edge games, moreso than many counterparts in the PC world. As a matter of fact, it is easier for Developers to create stable Mac games, as the hardware is more closed and easier to adjust to as developer. DualBooting and all that stuff also helps.

The problem rather is that cross-platform development is only starting to really catch on. Indie devs are good at that, but the big studios are years behind.

One day we'll be at a point where it really doesn't matter what kind of platform and architecture you run - and we'll laugh at the silly finger pointing we did nowadays.

(and yes, I'd also love to be able to play this game, but currently can't be arsed to fire up my Windows partition on my Mac and install it, and would prefer games that natively run on all platforms...)

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Keh, Last night was a marginal success with about 7-8 people in a single squad. Hoping to top ten next week and start doing some decent operations :D!

For now, download, register, learn basics and enjoy it - feel free to ask me anything on steam (SteamID: Malcovent). Sometime before the next meeting i'll put up a form of people who have planetside 2/ have it working, and we'll work out a few squads :)