Extinct Animals

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is in no way a rant. At all.

So for the past months, there have been a few to no wild friendly mobs. Many of us know why, many of us do not.
I'm just going to make this clear, they didn't just disappear because of a update.
The reason many of the mobs dont spawn is because of mob farms.
While I myself am guilty of having one, i've cut it down in half of the animals it used to have.
And this is not out to those who have 4 of one animal.
This is mostly to talk to those who have farms of 15 or higher animals.

See, when animals spawn in the game, they are there to stay for quite a while. But what Jeb and Notch have done, is put a maximum on the amount that can spawn in the game. This is to prevent overspawnning and stop 60-year old sheep from staying in the game. Mobs recycle. More spawn elsewhere, and the cycle continues.
However, with the addition of breeding, players can control animal spawns and have a farm. We know that.
What we don't know is how something handy can be abused. (Again, I'm just learning this now. I had just as big as a farm as anyone can imagine.)
SO read this bit of information from the Minecraft Wiki which is credable.
In multiplayer, mob caps are shared by all players, no matter where they are. If one player can make a lot of mobs spawn near them, say, with a mob farm, players elsewhere in the world will see fewer mobs of the same category. Likewise, if a player can prevent mobs from spawning near them, perhaps by hanging around a large body of water and illuminating nearby caves, they will effectively dump their mobs on everyone else.
What im trying to say is those with mob farms ruin it for the entire server. It not only causes animals not to spawn to other players in need of resources, but it causes lag too. And with the amount of entitys i see straped to a fenced cage, some things need to change.
Again, im not complaining, or ranting, but this is a subject I anted those who aren't aware to know this.
PLEASE tell me your thoughts, and I want to know your ideas on this subject.
@UltimateBudgie @Iguana @GmK
Your friendly Neighborhood Lucario,
Araidian

Qoute pulled from: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn
And only post if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to say to the topic. Thanks!

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I'd say put rules on breeding, but that would be hard to enforce. Could limit to class possibly, but there would still be people with farms with 100+ cows in it.

Just, breeders, think about it: Do you really need 50 cows at a time? 5 cows should be enough, unless you plan on slaughtering them right after you breed.

• Agree
Reactions: Jayfeather

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
This is especially true since we use a Bukkit method to reduce mob spawns globally. Mobs (and Growth of crops) are the biggest reasons for lag on a MP server.

Problem: We cannot detect mob farms and can only count on the honesty and gentlemenness of players.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
Since people never look here...
This is for people like @AngelWV whose been wondering, and any others who aren't sure.

KILLING ANIMAL FARMS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL, AS STATED BY EPEHEMERALKAP AND MALCOVENT AFTER ASKING THE 2 OVER TEAMSPEAK

ALTHOUGH IT'S FROWNED UPON TO NOT LEAVE 2 ANIMALS BEHIND, IT'S NOT CONSIDERED A RULE 9 OFFENSE. IT IS LEGAL, YOU JUST GIVE YOURSELF THE NAME OF <NAME> THE ANIMAL DESTROYER. GOOD JOB.

THAT IS ALL.

Shmid

Reaction score
Since people never look here...
This is for people like @AngelWV whose been wondering, and any others who aren't sure.

KILLING ANIMAL FARMS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL, AS STATED BY EPEHEMERALKAP AND MALCOVENT AFTER ASKING THE 2 OVER TEAMSPEAK

ALTHOUGH IT'S FROWNED UPON TO NOT LEAVE 2 ANIMALS BEHIND, IT'S NOT CONSIDERED A RULE 9 OFFENSE. IT IS LEGAL, YOU JUST GIVE YOURSELF THE NAME OF <NAME> THE ANIMAL DESTROYER. GOOD JOB.

THAT IS ALL.
8I Biiiig words.

Anyway, I agree to there being some sort of rule on huge mob farms. I spent at least 5 RL day looking for chickens! I almost feel like I need to start a farm just to find these buggers.

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a farm too but I cant see why someone would need more than 10 of each animal, other than to get a ridiculous amount of drops to sell on webshop for money.

i only keep about 4-6 of each and its enough for me.

Also ive noticed that lately hostile mobs seem to be extinct too, its not like ive just been sitting on my roof at night waiting for them to spawn nearby, I looked all over the place, spent entire nights just wondering out in the wilderness and finding no mobs whatsoever.
yesterday i found one skeleton in the mines and that was it, i dunno if this is happening to anyone else, maybe its just the area i live in or something, but judging by jays status i thinks its server wide.

EDIT, after walking in a straight line away from my house for 15 mins i found a single creeper, which gave no xp :/

• Agree
Reactions: balloon98 and Shmid

Shmid

Reaction score
I have a farm too but I cant see why someone would need more than 10 of each animal, other than to get a ridiculous amount of drops to sell on webshop for money.

i only keep about 4-6 of each and its enough for me.

Also ive noticed that lately hostile mobs seem to be extinct too, its not like ive just been sitting on my roof at night waiting for them to spawn nearby, I looked all over the place, spent entire nights just wondering out in the wilderness and finding no mobs whatsoever.
yesterday i found one skeleton in the mines and that was it, i dunno if this is happening to anyone else, maybe its just the area i live in or something.
Do you live by the desert? I do, and some nights I get no hostile mobs, some nights I get loads.

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i live on the edge of the desert and i used to get groups of hostile mobs spawning outside, but its not the desert thats doing it.
ive been walking around lots of grasslands and forests, also some winter and swamp biomes pretty far off.
still nothing spawns

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score

super-spark

Reaction score
I used to have a mob farm, but I gave up when my mobs kept being killed/disappearing.
Used to keep just two Pigs, two Chickens and two Cows, make them breed then kill the offspring when it grew up. Bit sadistic but still, the general consensus of this thread is right, there's no need for vast numbers of passive mobs.

Gaia has been pretty bereft of mobs lately, I had to wander for about a half hour to find a chicken.

• Agree
Reactions: Shmid

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Please report back here if passive and agressive mobs spawn a bit more often as of this post.
Found 4 pigs all in one area, along with two creepers. Also had a zombie staring in my window.
Actually found a cow for once, and about 5 chickens. Also 7-ish sheep, along with an honest-to-goodness wolf. All in all, many times more mobs than I had seen before.

Reactions: Shmid