Event Day: Classic TNT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we should have an event day that is a lot like the classic tnt (I've never been on it, but from what I know I propose a couple good ideas to make it seem like the old tnt, might need a lot of revising from old players who know their stuff). Here is what might be changed:
-Old Lobby Map (if we still have, I think the one where you jump into pools?)
-Classic maps in rotation only (ex. courtyard, anubis [not sure if that one is classic])
-TNT, pistols, and most other old weapons, no new ones. Also: zombie may introduce problems with keeping it in inventories, so I'm not sure about including it.
-Only normal type, maybe ctf.
-Old team skins!
I can't think of anything else that would require editing the code in a major way such as old killstreak functionality, but I think new players would like to see what it was like and old players would feel it was much alike the old tnt. Suggestions?
-superstein

GOODYSMOODY

Reaction score
Well, the portal lobby was old. I joined a bit before that time, somewhere around December 2010.
Those maps were around, including old castle and one other I forgot.
No CTF, it would kinda spoil the 'classicness' of the old TNT server.

0x3c0

Donor
Reaction score
What I remember as the older maps are Canyon, Evil, DarkPassage, Frontier, LegoForts, Prison and TNTOpolis. There are also 'classic' maps such as the original Pirates ( Alkatraz made a post in the screenshot thread about it).

It would be nice to reminisce, but I don't know if there are enough old maps to provide variety during the event.

• Agree
Reactions: balloon98

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
I do very much like this idea.
<3 retro TNT.
(It probably would take some time to restore the server to how it was, so maybe if the event was run for a week it would be better?)

It would be nice to reminisce, but I don't know if there are enough old maps to provide variety during the event.
If this was to go through, I would be happy to make some 'old style' maps. That would be awesome fun.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
You have a very strange view of "classic" superstein! (Either that, or I've just been on WAY too long).

If we're truly going for a classic feel, we should have:

Map Wise:
Arena, Arena2, Battlefield, WAR, Pirates, Village, Island, Paradise, Sandbox, Towers, Castles, Trenches, Prison, LegoForts.
And really, Arena2 should have the empty area underneath which was always rubbish!
Pirates and Castles should both have a central spawn for both players.
LegoForts would have no solid floor, it'd just go all the way to the bottom of the map, so once players got to it, they could only place blocks on the existing blocks not the floor.
No MiniMaps.

Lobby
I don't think we have the ORIGINAL lobby, as I remember helping to change it to one very similar to what we have today. Although it only had Red and Blue, back in the good ol' days, there was no tutorial, and purple just didn't exist!
We had a few other lobbies, including Yucks one where you jumped down, before we changed back to the original one, but made some changes.
So we probably ought to use the same Lobby as we have now.

Teamskins?
What are teamskins? We never had teamskins when I joined! You had to get close enough to see the colour of their names! (By which time spam killers would have already got you!)

Weapons/Upgrades
Strictly speaking, we should remove upgrades, grenades, mortars, lightning, portals.
Rockets should only fire along the diagonals!
Zombies didn't exist back then, they're pretty new creations and removals.
Cannons maybe still about.
I can't remember the old weapon prices, but I think only pistol hasn't changed!
EVERYONE could place metal and everyone pillared with and spammed it. (Guess why it was made purchase required).

Commands!
No /setpoints for KingSam
No clever command block things like CTF, KOTH etc.
Technically there would be no trusteds or VetOps.
./who used to be /stats.

Other
Glitches, LOADS of glitches, can't be Classic TNT without loads of those. /hide would do absolutely nothing!
No spawnkilling kicks, respawn kicks, no warnings.
Everyone could type colours.
Staff didn't stand out, ie no titles or DARK colours.
Referees had to type /ref after every round to continue reffing.
Referees also had to type /ref to use any command.
No Opslots.
Drastically reduced server limit.

No killstreaks whatsoever. 10 points per kill no matter what.

Okay, so that post started off as, what would go into a classic TNT day, and ended up with me just reminiscing!

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I joined on Maarch 31 of 2012 so I REALLY didnt know much about it. I guess it might be hard to do with all alka had in mind but it might have to be more of the time shortly after central spawn were removed if we wanted it to really work but if it could work like that that might be fun for a day still (given that some glitches aren't saved or points aren't saved). If this were to go I think it would be better without the fixes in commands and other since it might be a bit overkill, as I was going toward the gameplay aspect of it. Either way, thanks for the feedback.
P.S. it's like 8 am and I just woke up and I'm on an iPad so sorry for the inevitable typos that there may be..

destroyerx1

Reaction score
The lobby bug occurred randomly between rounds. When it happened, upon entering a portal players wouldn't see anything happen, but they would then be able to use weapons and build in the lobby. Fortunately the block changes in the lobby weren't saved, but it did ruin the game until a staff member came on and rebooted the server. I couldn't find the cause of the bug, so I wasn't able to fix it. It got to the point where there was talk of shutting the server down, so I rewrote the server, and the bug disappeared. I still don't know the cause of it, but now I suspect it had something to do with improper threading causing a deadlock condition (I didn't know very much about thready safety back then).

As for comparing the two codes, there are many changes in the code since then, and there are about 800 pages of code, so I'd rather not do that.

Super_Goku

ukoG_repuS
Reaction score
Like raz said the inventories and upgrades would have to be wiped clean. Here is my question: are the stuff in peoples inventories also in the backup? And also I think people might be a little pissed of if they notice that their inventory is empty during the classic TNT (day or week) other then that I think it is a really good idea cause I never played in the old TNT since I'm from october 2011

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that might be a problem, but it might give a little bit of nostalgia. Also, the inventories/upgrades might have to be wiped for a bit but I think they are saved on countless spreadsheets (forgive me if I
'm wrong)

destroyerx1

Reaction score
Yes, the points and inventories from November 2010 are with the backups. I could easily just upload the old server to a different location and start it from there instead of the normal location, then start it from the normal folder after the event is over.

Super_Goku

ukoG_repuS
Reaction score
Can you change it so that the inventories of people who were online then is empty? Just asking so it is a little bit more fair. Also do you mean we have to join an other server adress? If so is the other server still gonna be online? And when the event is over people will have their points from before the event? Sorry for all the questions :D.

EDIT: also is /home going to be the one where you need to jump in a pool I saw it in one of stiebens video's on YouTube (yes I watched most of them)

Status
Not open for further replies.