Entering the age of Tech-nolo-gy

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
"Mother, you know last year when I said I were going 'iking in the mountains of Uberwald with me mates, well, it were kind of ... sort of ... a kind of lie, only very small, mind you." Dick blushed. "You see, I found t'keys to Dad's old shed and, well, I went back to Sheepridge and did some experimenting and ..." he loked at his mother anxiously, "I think I know what 'e were doing wrong."
Dick braced for stiff objections, but he hadn't reckoned on tears - so many tears - and as he tried to console her he added, "You, Mother and Uncle Flavius got me an education, you got me knowing of the numbers, including the arithmetic and wierd stuff dreamed up by the philosophers in Ephebe where even camels can do logarithms on their toes. Dad didn't know this stuff. He had the right ideas but he didn't have the ... tech-nol-ogy right."
At this point, Dick allowed his mother to talk, and she said, "I know there's no stopping you, our Dick, you're just like your stubborn father were, pigheaded. Is that what you've been doin' in the barn? Teck-ology?" She looked at him accusingly, then sighed. "I can see I can't tell you what to do, but you tell me: how can your 'logger-reasons' stop you goin' the way of your poor old dad?" She started sobbing again.
Dick pulled out of his jacket something that looked like a small wand, which might have been made for a miniature wizard, and said, "This'll keep me safe, Mother! I've the knowing of the sliding rule! I can tell the sine what to do, and the cosine likewise and work out the tangents of t'quaderatics! Come on, Mother, stop fretting and come wi' me now to t'barn. You must see 'er!"
Mrs Simnel, reluctant, was dragged by her son to the great open barn he had kitted out like the workshop back at Sheepridge, hoping against hope that her son had accidentally found himself a girl. Inside the barn she looked hopelessly at a large circle of metal which covered most of the floor. Something metallic whizzed round and round on the metal, sounding like a squirrel in a cage, giving off a smell much like camphor.
"Here she is, Mother. Ain't she champion?" Dick said happily. "I call her Iron Girder!"
"But what is it, son?"
He grinned hugely and said, "It's what they call a pro-to-type, Mother. You've got to 'av a pro-to-type if you're going to be an engineer."
His mother smiled wanly but there was no stopping Dick. The words just tumbled out.
"The thing is, Mother, before you attempt owt you've got to 'ave some idea of what it is you want to do. One of the books I found in the library was about being an architect. And in that book, the man who wrote it said before he built his next big 'ouse he always made quite tiny models to get an idea of how it would all work out. He said it sounds fiddly and stuff, but going slowly and being thorough is the only way forward. And so I'm testing 'er out slowly, seeing what works and what doesn't. And actually, I'm quite proud of me'sen. In the beginning I made t'track wooden, but I reckoned that the engine I wanted would be very 'eavy, so I choppe up t'wooden circle for firewood and went back to t'forge."
Mrs Simnel looked at the little mechanism running around and round on the barn floor and said, in the voice of someone really trying to understand, "Eee, lad, but what does it do?"
"Well, I remembered what Dad said about t'time he were watching t'kettle boiling and noticed t'lid going up and down with the pressure, and he told me that one day someone would build a bigger kettle that would lift more than a kettle lid. And I believe I have the knowing of the way to build a proper kettle, Mother."
"And what good would that do, my boy?" said his mother sternly.
And she watched the glow in her son's eyes as he said, "Everything, Mother. Everything."
Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett

Similar to Richard Simnel in Raising Steam, Hollowbastion's been working out the logger reasons to work on an exciting new system to access the town even faster* than before in the comfort of the overworld. We are proud to announce that over the last month the hollow transit system has been assembled. By the beginning of August, we hope to have the lite service up and running, completing the designs on the track walls by the end of August. This line will run from just outside spawn to the Broadside Inn, Hollow's local pub. If people are interested, each terminal has two remaining walls available for new routes to other towns.

Stay tuned for more updates.

*For raiding purposes against Hollowbastion.

Last edited:

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
Similar to Richard Simnel in Raising Steam, Hollowbastion's been working out the logger reasons to work on an exciting new system to access the town even faster* than before in the comfort of the overworld.
That asterisk doesn't lead to anything 0/10 F-

MetalGearSolis

That kid with the avatar
Reaction score
Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett

Similar to Richard Simnel in Raising Steam, Hollowbastion's been working out the logger reasons to work on an exciting new system to access the town even faster* than before in the comfort of the overworld. We are proud to announce that over the last month the hollow transit system has been assembled. By the beginning of August, we hope to have the lite service up and running, completing the designs on the track walls by the end of August. This line will run from just outside spawn to the Broadside Inn, Hollow's local pub. If people are interested, each terminal has two remaining walls available for new routes to other towns.

Stay tuned for more updates.
Will the keyhole be there c:

BanSwift

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
He's allergic to houses :L

EDIT: No,seriously...thats why he's making a giant cave. He won't even take a house if it was made for him >_< no wonder he sleeps in Peter's workshop *cough* cave *cough*

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Notme