Economy and Market

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
The economy in Dusk of Discordia is quite complicated, with a market that changes with supply and demand and ways to earn currency. Our economy is run with Topians, the currency we are using, and Topians can be used for buying items from the global shop and trading, among other things such as flaunting wealth.​
For standard economy itself, the only command you will need to use is /money. This will show you the amount of Topians you possess.​
But we have a market this time around! In a shop at spawn, and shops spread throughout the map, you will be able to buy and sell certain items. As these items are bought and sold, the prices will change. If the store has a lot of cobblestone, the price for cobblestone will go down. If the store is running short on diamonds, the price for diamonds will shoot up. The market will change with the server, and if you play the market well then you will profit from it.​
Certain items may have static prices, whereas most of the items will be dynamic and change with supply and demand. The store does have a lot of stock, but does not have infinite stock, and if an item is in very high demand the store may completely run out!​
As time goes on and people experience this market better and learn how it works, it will be better understood and work better. Hopefully you all will enjoy this new feature, and use it to your benefit!​
Command List:​
/hc - Help menu, shows all commands​
/buy [name] (amount/"max") - Buys the specified amount of specified item​
/sell [name] (amount/"max") - Sells the specified amount of specified item​
/browseshop [keywords] - Shows all items in the shop with said letters/words​
/value <item> - Shows the value of specified item​
/money - Shows your balance of Topians​

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
Topian is the currency.
Blocktopia is the community name.
Blocktopian is people who are in this community....
This means the currency is people.
Funny things aside, I really wonder how shops will be and possibly we can open our own shops.

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
I doubt roman forums could drive dynamic markets like wallstreet can.
If you make Wall Street, it will eventually crash, and cause a virtual Great Depression. We don't want that! Anyway, sounds interesting, hopefully it won't go down the drain like the US economy did.
Nah, everyone will have 26 million topians dept by end of the server.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
So basically, you buy out all the diamonds for cheap and sell it back to them for super profit? Alrighty.

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
So basically, you buy out all the diamonds for cheap and sell it back to them for super profit? Alrighty.

Some items will be set at a certain price, I am not sure if Diamonds will fall under this category, but they may, and also where are you going to get the money initially to buy a large amount of diamonds? It's going to take some time to get enough money to buy such items, they are not going to be handed out upon release for a small amount of money.

Eventually there could be a controlling force in the world, but I do not think that one could simply become rich and wealthy in a small amount of time. Although it must be noted playing the market is probably going to be a clever thing to do, and well worth doing.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score

Some items will be set at a certain price, I am not sure if Diamonds will fall under this category, but they may, and also where are you going to get the money initially to buy a large amount of diamonds? It's going to take some time to get enough money to buy such items, they are not going to be handed out upon release for a small amount of money.

Eventually there could be a controlling force in the world, but I do not think that one could simply become rich and wealthy in a small amount of time. Although it must be noted playing the market is probably going to be a clever thing to do, and well worth doing.

You can simply do this method for any item, you hoard the items then crash the price. For example cobblestone may cost a certain amount so you'd hoard cobblestone then sell a lot of it to the shop, causing the price to crash for others but you make the most money out of it, then you use that money to buy other things, etc. It's all quite simple really.

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
Exactly, which is a clever thing to do and occurs in real life, but with probably a lot of people trying to do the same thing, it will not be completely easy. It could be overpowered, but I guess we'll see!

• Agree
Reactions: Friendy

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
Unless there are restrictions on the types of items that people can make, this economy will only function around the rarest things like diamonds or metals. Theres no point to spending money I could save up for diamonds unless I cannot get that item myself.
Like in Primordia, I focused on selling mob items because animal spawns really only happened in remote forests and they were only in farms. People sold disks because they were hard-to-achieve luxeries.
If people had to choose masteries to craft certain items, this would work beautifully. Otherwise this plug-in will, even though its the sexiest idea since sliced bread, will not be all that used.
I hope it works out though, sorry for being so morbid about it xc

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Unless there are restrictions on the types of items that people can make, this economy will only function around the rarest things like diamonds or metals. Theres no point to spending money I could save up for diamonds unless I cannot get that item myself.
Like in Primordia, I focused on selling mob items because animal spawns really only happened in remote forests and they were only in farms. People sold disks because they were hard-to-achieve luxeries.
If people had to choose masteries to craft certain items, this would work beautifully. Otherwise this plug-in will, even though its the sexiest idea since sliced bread, will not be all that used.
I hope it works out though, sorry for being so morbid about it xc
That's not 'morbid' but actually a valid argument I have also already brought forward.

We had a dynamic economy on one of our SMP servers once, that worked like this one, and we had to stop using it after a while since people abused it left and right.

I am quite sure though that superstein and the team have a cunning plan to make it sexy this time round.

(I personally loved the webshop market most that we had once)

• Agree
Reactions: LISTINGS09