[Denied] S_swimmer's Staff Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I know what you're thinking.

Wtf swimmer

But believe it or not, I'm actually serious about this. I want to apply for a Staff Position. I know it's a little early in my playing days for this, and that probably nobody would take me seriously, but honestly, I would really and sincerely like this. Not to boss people around. Not for the power. For the respect. Countless times, other servers didn't take me seriously "because I'm new" or "because of my age." Even Primordia, one of the extinct Blocktopia servers. And not just for the respect. I like to help people. To see the smile on their faces (or at least what they can emote in the chat) when I help them. I like to signify that I'm nice and not a jerk. I really like to make people happy. But all this chitchat is getting me nowhere. Time for the question answering! :bounce:

Ingame username: S_swimmer
Rank requested: Anything Operator or higher :D

Would anyone be willing to reference you (players or staff): I don't really know, to be honest. I suppose Gonkus, Ice_Spark, and my other big clan member might...
In less than 140 Characters, tell us about yourself. I am VERY responsible for my age. I love to take things on, to give myself responsibility. I wear glasses, get very good grades at school. Biggest goal is to create video games.
What achievements are you most proud of? (This isn't in order) Creating my clan Whisper. Getting Swimming Team MVP Award when I was only 10 (The team is 5-17). Getting well into writing a book (not yet finished). Before I told Gonkus I was 12, he thought I was 19 :D. My countless musical compositions, which nobody has commented badly on. Umm.... I'm sure there are others, but I just can't think of them. :cry:
What do you think your position entails? First off, a sh**load of responsibility.It involves being a team player. No picking favorites. It involves not killing someone when they are calling for your assistance or innocently walking by you. It involves not using the power to your advantage. Not bossing people around or telling people not to do this when it's not against the rules and not just muting people or doing whatever to people because you feel like it. It involves not promoting people because they're your friends (though I doubt I would get a position where you can promote anyway). It involves being friendly to everybody. It involves not just abandoning your responsibilities. It involves executing your responsibilities. It involves not going insane at the number of your responsibilities. It involves treating people with respect, and not looking down on them because you're a higher rank. It involves telling people to STOP when they're doing something wrong. It involves not losing your head, no matter what the circumstances are. It involves not being afraid to give people the right amount of strictness when they are breaking the rules in any possible way. It involves making sure people have fun.
Given the likelihood that, there are 'other' candidates for this position - why should we pick you? Because I'm dang good with responsibility. If I don't know a few things, you need only tell me and- BOOM! I know it perfectly. I'm extremely efficient. In real life, I always rack my brain to figure out how I can do something the best in the most desirable amount of time. I'm real with myself. No hiding from the truth and no lazily gliding over a step when I am absolutely and fully aware that it is there. No juuuuusssstt making the cut. I'm a friendly guy with genuine kindness and, lots of times, a witty joker. I believe I would be able to keep a fun, friendly environment while still getting business done. I'm good at memorizing. Tell me what to do and I will do it.
You get given six months to live, list the things you'd like to do. 1. Write a book. 2. Make a video game. 3. Give what I have to charity. 4. Write pages after pages of every idea I have that I didn't get to execute. 5. Ask out the girl I like. :oops: 6. Get out all of my heartfelt goodbyes to those who I love. Finally - how much time do you think you spent on this application and, do you think it is appropriate? 4:36 - 6: 09. :p I believe that's pretty appropriate, not rushed, not lazily and sluggishly typing it out. I think what I said required some pretty serious and honest thought, do you? I guess I'll see! Note: Please feel free to insult me in any way or intensity you like. I'm not sensitive to that.

LagWarrior

SMP Veteran Operator
Reaction score
The whole getting staff for "respect" thing throws me off,
It throws me off for sure. Yes, this probably isn't the only think on you mind, swimmer. But, applying for respect is not how we roll. Respect comes by time. If you have a positive attitude, people will respect you for that-- ranks do not buy respect.

Moving that aside, I'm going to have to -1 this application due to recent events. Not to be offensive, but you annoy people too much in-game. You were pestering a new player into a PvP fight even though he did not want to fight at all. Also, double posting about asking someone to PvP/spar isn't a good thing.

Sorry, but you need to improve.

chris360kss

Titless
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this, when I see you you are freindly and nice, but after reading lag and defiants post it really throws me off.

0 from me

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I guess getting it for respect was more a goal on a different server, when you don't gain respect by your personality at all. But that server is dead now.

I will try to improve on what Lag is saying. just a side note, the person I was asking to spar with asked me first, and I double-posted because I thought he didn't see it or bother to read it. I am aware now that this is wrong. I'm sorry and it won't happen again.

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
I guess you wish to withdraw then?
In that case I would suggest you to wait at least 2-4 weeks, and getting a staff reference.

At least, I must say I am happy to see you are interested in wanting to staff on our server.
I suggest you to help out/assist some more in the coming weeks.
You give people a place to stay at whspr, a thing I like, but I am sure that you should be able to do more, especially if you want the Operator rank!

Good luck ^_^

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
I'm sorry S_Swimmer but it sounds more like you're out-racing somone to a rank to me than actualy wanting to be staff. I read you litteraly saying "Oh no, now me and fire have to race for who gets OP".

The appeal does show that you know what to do; but it sounds more like a comedy show to me. I can't really explain it more than this, the appeal just makes me irk a bit. I want to see you more before you re-apply, if you need to re-apply at all.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Alright, I got punched in the gut. I'm not doing all that well, and I'm joking too much. My dad says that I can joke out of hand. Okay, I guess I annoy people sometimes. Okay, I guess I did feel a little bit of competiton with firepheonix. My post irked shiny, it's not like I can change that. But I can change the other things. I've been lying here on the ground for too long. Now I'm going to get up, dust myself off, and keep walking. I'm going to change myself. I'm going to realize when I'm annoying people and stop. I'm going to straighten myself out and fill in all of the cracks in my niceness. I really, really want this. I have a passion for showing people what I'm made of, what I can do. I love making people smile and laugh, making friends. I love helping people. I'm going to show this to you guys. From what I see, I still have time. Not everybody has voted. I'm going to change your minds. I can do this.

Wooffus

Reaction score
Looking at the application, I too am with the general consensus. Swimmer can be quite fun in game to be around, but his handling of Whisper and wanting to earn a staff rank for "respect" shows that he actually wants a status of power more than anything else. Add to his relatively short stay so far, and I say that we give him another couple of months for him to both calm down and understand the general nature of SMP as a community as opposed to a game. It's going to be a -1 for now.

asaechao

─═☆The Blue Bird☆═─
Reaction score
As Wooffus said, you wanting "respect" shows you want power over others. So far, (in-game when I see you), you seem to be a bit friendly. So far, it's a 0 from me.

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
Alright, because you received too many responses along the lines of "You are not ready" and seeing enough can be improved.
I will deny this application, I thank you for your interest in staffing our server and hopefully you can make the best of all feedback given.

Once again, thank you and feel free to try again whenever you are ready ( receive staff reference? ).

Status
Not open for further replies.