Decreasing Dig-able Depths

HypeBurst

Just Fabulous
Reaction score
Now this might be a lot of work, I think It would definitely help the server in the long run.
We all know those insanely deep maps such as theestate and beach where people have like 20 layers of dirt blocks under them, well i'm suggesting we (ie High Staff) make a layer of adminium around 2-3 layers down into the dirt and change the round times accordingly.

One of the most frustrating things about playing these maps with only 10 people is coming to the realization that you will have to dig through block after block after block to find the last person who is hiding near the bottom of the map. It isn't very enjoyable for new players if their first memory of this server is digging though dirt for 6 minutes. If that was my first experience, I would probably have left and not looked back. Removing the majority of the dirt would also force people to find much more creative hiding spots and it would be much more exciting for the human and for the zombies.

One map that the majority of ZS players like is tower. its small and crowded but its short and survivable and overall exciting. Removing the 100's of dirt blocks would mean we would have many more tower experiences in this server.

Now I understand that this WILL be a large workload for the Controllers+ but if we want the server to get back to the popularity that it was last year, I think we all need to work harder to strive for this goal and, I wouldn't mind adding the adminium sheets myself :p

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
If the 2x2x2 rule was still in affect, wouldn't that technically make it easier for zombies to find humans that are hiding in the ground. (I had always wondered why that was removed) And is it still in process? Because, removing the 2x2x2 rule also gives players the opportunity to hide in corners :3
And one last note, although I agree with Hype, that digging through dirt is a very boring process, hiding is still a part of the game. I enjoy creating creative hiding spots, the ones that make the zombies say, "Where were they!?"
But when someone just makes a little hiding hole in the dirt, it's boring for the zombies to try to find them.
(My 2 cents on it :))

D

DarkHender

If the 2X2X2 was removed shouldn't have the level of dirt dig-able been altered?
if not, I do like this idea. (sorry for not a better input, 3:30 am ;))

bullseye2000

Reaction score
I strongly agree on this suggestion. But what would happen to the maps like antfarm and miniantfarm?

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
If the 2x2x2 rule was still in affect, wouldn't that technically make it easier for zombies to find humans that are hiding in the ground. (I had always wondered why that was removed) And is it still in process? Because, removing the 2x2x2 rule also gives players the opportunity to hide in corners :3
And one last note, although I agree with Hype, that digging through dirt is a very boring process, hiding is still a part of the game. I enjoy creating creative hiding spots, the ones that make the zombies say, "Where were they!?"
But when someone just makes a little hiding hole in the dirt, it's boring for the zombies to try to find them.
(My 2 cents on it :))
Hopefully this will answer @DarkHender's question too, the rule was removed because it would be much more challenging to find a spot to underground. So it kind of balanced itself out - underground dig-able depths were removed as the rule was removed, and usually for underground areas you find people by scanning, not by the size of the hole.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
Hopefully this will answer @DarkHender's question too, the rule was removed because it would be much more challenging to find a spot to underground. So it kind of balanced itself out - underground dig-able depths were removed as the rule was removed, and usually for underground areas you find people by scanning, not by the size of the hole.
The way I was thinking at 3 in the morning, I forgot about scanning :p. And removing the 2x2x2 rule does give room for creative hiding spots above ground. It's just those maps that have all that dirt that get annoying.
I strongly agree on this suggestion. But what would happen to the maps like antfarm and miniantfarm?
And a map like antfarm, with it's size, the zombies could probably clear all the dirt if they really wanted to, and it would be easy to scan all of the dirt. If you removed most of the dirt in antfarm, it would become horrible ;)

Txboy1234

Reaction score
Removing the 2x2x2 rule just made it easier for humans to hide in corners/walls ect... But Hype I can see you got some ideas from being on the other servers. ;) It seems the new generation of players here don't want to hide underground, they just want maps to run in with Parkour and such. If that's what they want, give it to them.

It would burn in hell

• Agree
Reactions: bullseye2000

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Right well I am sorta in the middle of this.

I don't want to see this happen on every map because for a few of them digging to survive is a very big concept, take deadair and antfarm for example. Both of those maps have close to no or no hiding spots at all. As such the only practical way to be able to live on there (as hard as it may be) is to dig.

However on the other side some maps have a very large amount of running/hiding spots but they still have a vast diggable depth. On maps as such I would want it to be decreased to something more practical but not less than 5.

Many players would be turned away from maps that have a very big diggable area as you stated previously but I think this would only happen if they joined mid round. I am fairly positive that if a player was to join before it started and be found on a map that has a big diggable depth would like it a lot and then come back continuously. Yes, he or she may find that after a relatively easy win on their first visit the server is not always going to have those experiences ready for him or her. I would want him or her to be able to ease into the rigor of the server by finding a few easy areas to go to at first and then branch outwards with time.

Remember that we need to keep the idea that not everybody does not like maps with large depths. We need to try our best to be able to please them in addition to trying to please the others who hate those maps.

Reactions: Fruit

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
Right well I am sorta in the middle of this.

I don't want to see this happen on every map because for a few of them digging to survive is a very big concept, take deadair and antfarm for example. Both of those maps have close to no or no hiding spots at all. As such the only practical way to be able to live on there (as hard as it may be) is to dig.

However on the other side some maps have a very large amount of running/hiding spots but they still have a vast diggable depth. On maps as such I would want it to be decreased to something more practical but not less than 5.

Many players would be turned away from maps that have a very big diggable area as you stated previously but I think this would only happen if they joined mid round. I am fairly positive that if a player was to join before it started and be found on a map that has a big diggable depth would like it a lot and then come back continuously. Yes, he or she may find that after a relatively easy win on their first visit the server is not always going to have those experiences ready for him or her. I would want him or her to be able to ease into the rigor of the server by finding a few easy areas to go to at first and then branch outwards with time.

Remember that we need to keep the idea that not everybody does not like maps with large depths. We need to try our best to be able to please them in addition to trying to please the others who hate those maps.
Reading this gave me an idea. What if, the max diggable depth was 3 blocks. This way they could still hide under the top layer of dirt. This way, if you make a map, and you don't like digging, you can make it 1 or 0 blocks deep. And on the other side, if you are for digging, then you can make it 3 deep, so players can still hide. And, it would make it easier for zombies to scan, because they can be on the top level.

Also, say there's a big 128x128 map. Maybe, then it would have to be 1 deep max, because that's a lot of digging. Or, a map like antfarm, that is so small you need the dirt. Then it doesn't really matter. Maps like these could be exceptions to the 3 block max.

Reactions: Dio4344