[GAME OVER - TOWN WIN] The Comedy Club

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
what is this motive
If four people in a room counts as two pairs, and Sessy had gone to where she was supposed to last night, there would be one room with a pair and one with two.
So Sessy going to the other room would mean no pairs, which I realize in hindsight doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyways as pairs working that way would be problematic. So disregard that.

A pair as in two people.
I realize this has probably been discussed in the thread already, but you answering this so matter of factly is kinda strange imo.

Would you like to claim your role?
I can't help but read an accusation in this technically loaded question. I have already claimed. My role is: Technician. I don't know my abilities, but I think they will be unlocked if I get my hands on a microchip, because my flavor text says I should go to the lighting box, and the only night I did that notty purified me, taking away my chance for a microchip.

hipmeow

Reaction score
man i DONT KNOW ANYMORE i keep switch between who i think is more likely to be scum. ltins claim seems like it fits nicely and doesnt really set off any alarms whereas sessys role is ???

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Timdood
Hip
Paige
Ltin
Sessy

This is who we have alive and jeez that number dropped a lot without me really noticing.
So assuming there is one mafia left, and it's either sessy or Ltin, we lynch one and if we're wrong then the ratio is 1/3 after the kill, giving us time to lynch the other without losing.

Alternatively, there's one mafia and also a third party. And the idea of a third party not being in this game doesn't quite sit well with me.

But let's consider this: Ltin's items got yoinked by notty. Notty was mafia. Notty knew who the other follower was.

Vote sessybessy

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Do we actually know how to give items to somebody?

Honestly other than the fact that she pushed me more than Sessy, and the fact that I was purified, I'm not sure there is much you can read into notty's interactions with me and sessy without descending into unhelpful wifom territory. Notty has already purchased HK a bus ticket to the graveyard, so we know she is entirely willing to bus her team mates.
However, there was some advantage in getting the Darkness killed the first time around yes?

Alternative tinfoil hat theory:
Neither me nor Sessy is mafia, and notty is using the fact that she already bussed one of her team mates to make us think she is willing to bus the other as well, when in reality it is Tim or some nonsense like that.

Atm i do still think it is Sessy, but I'm not totally sure.

hipmeow

Reaction score
Alternative tinfoil hat theory:
Neither me nor Sessy is mafia, and notty is using the fact that she already bussed one of her team mates to make us think she is willing to bus the other as well, when in reality it is Tim or some nonsense like that.
i mean paige is a confirm comedian and i dont buy the maf comedian thingy. tim could be lying but they went straight for notty after hk died which as a maf buddy voting notty would be silly due to the bus they did on hk. and ya im leaning towards sessy and i still think its entirely possible for a 3p to exist.
idk how many votes we need but ill put my vote on sessy because i really have no clue who it could be between ltin and sessy so i just want to get a vote out there, plus if we do mislynch im pretty sure we have another chance right?

vote sessy

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Timdood3 - comedian - double items - 2 wire, 2 cogs, 2 scrap metal, 4 batteries
Ltin - technician- ??? - 1 paper
hipmeow - comedian - double items - 2 wire, 4 microchips, 2 scrap metal, 4 batteries
webpaige - comedian - double items - 2 scrap metal
sessybessy - jacob - ??? - 2 cog, 1 microchip , 2 batteries

Missing: 1 wire, 1 scrap metal, 1 cog.

Ltin, Paige what did you guys get last night?

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find the soul tester but for what it's worth since I didn't see anyone link this yet here is jacob
Pamphlet PagePersonPamphlet Paraphrasing
3Alisha
P1
mentions a weird Engineer girl that the speaker doubts would show up, and if she doesn't then the speaker is as good as dead...i wonder if we can identify the speaker if there's any other references to who died that night in the immediate subsequent pages?

P2
This piece mentioned someone named Jacob that was creeping the speaker out, they said Jacob kept mentioning 'it' which sounds like a link to the scratched words earlier 'it is alive'. They were considering putting jacob up to be a Comedian since he was sounding like he was gonna die anyway

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So we can't build a tester but we can build the Totem of Light

Second, the blueprint and 'manual' of the device i found on my page, which is called the 'totem of light'.

Alright the device is something called the 'totem of light'. I found the blueprint for it. You need 6 batteries to build it, and it clears a room for being out ouf bound for 1 night. Also it says you cant use (or rather another cant be build) it again till 3 nights later.

You can build it alone in pm saying 'build totem of light' OR together in your night chat room. If you build it together all players in the room can contribute items (in this case batteries, but from what i can tell there should be more blueprints out there). The one who builds it (only players with the blueprint can build it) can place it in any dark room during the day via pm, and that room will then be available during the night (the room will still be black in the image).

If more than one totem are attemted to be used, only one will work randomly.

Anyone else find any nice blueprints? Anyhow we should discuss how we can use this. For now id say that comedians should try and aim for gathering batteries.
Moog verified in night chat that he got the Totem blueprint from page 14

Now IF HK is telling the truth here:
Should have probably mentioned earlier you contribute by saying something like 'contribute X of (item)', so you cant fake it.
We can test that people have at least a certain amount of batteries (such as Hip and Timdood contribute 3 each, which proves very little except the likelyhood that they have the double item ability which means it's more likely be town-sided comedians (and I've done similar with my 4 pages of paper)
Or we could 'test' Timdood/Hip + Sessy
We'd just need people to grab page 14 (the blueprint is required to build it)

Now here are some ways this plan can go terribly wrong:
  • HK was lying about the contribute X item and it contributes everything, or randomly selects items from people, etc. Moog only verified the blueprint in night chat, and HK never mentioned the contribute message when he revealed the Totem in the nightchat I shared with him
  • The Totem of Light is a tool for the suspicious engineer (who is hoarding batteries and/or the selfish person who wants the Light) wants to unlock and we're hurting ourselves by building this totem
  • The host is about to be killed by a player with a win condition to survive 5 days or something weird like that and we're in a mislynch and lose situation right now
Here's some FUN pages:
Pamphlet PagePersonPamphlet Paraphrasing
3Alisha
P1
mentions a weird Engineer girl that the speaker doubts would show up, and if she doesn't then the speaker is as good as dead...i wonder if we can identify the speaker if there's any other references to who died that night in the immediate subsequent pages?

P2
This piece mentioned someone named Jacob that was creeping the speaker out, they said Jacob kept mentioning 'it' which sounds like a link to the scratched words earlier 'it is alive'. They were considering putting jacob up to be a Comedian since he was sounding like he was gonna die anyway
7TimdoodPage 7 seems a lot shorter than some of the other pages. It's a photo of a dark room with chalk writing on the wall. It says that the darkness[sup]tm[/sup] reveals secrets to those with the key.
9webpaigeThere is a key someone wants and he is collecting Light, if he gets enough he'd use 'them' as a key and live happily ever after
the narrator (who is being told this by someone else) does not trust this guy, and thinks this guy's actions are selfish and won't help anyone else and he's very suspicious and secretive
the narrator feels he shouldn't help him
19Omni (by Mooglie) + webpaige'the PONDERING of i guess where we are in the wider world (like where this building/whatever we're being held in is) and whether someone was alone or safe with another person + an engineer keeping all the batteries to themselves and not explaining why'
22Hip'well mine bascically talks about how we need to escape before we die i guess
and that whoever wrote this will forgive a tratior amongst us as long as
someone makes them stop before they all ded'
Anyway sessy/ltin scum and also technicians are basically engineers and therefore scum
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Timdood3 - comedian - double items - 2 wire, 2 cogs, 2 scrap metal, 4 batteries
Ltin - technician- ??? - 1 paper, 1
hipmeow - comedian - double items - 2 wire, 4 microchips, 2 scrap metal, 4 batteries
webpaige - comedian - double items - 4 scrap metal
sessybessy - jacob - ??? - 2 cog, 1 microchip , 2 batteries
So we can't build a tester but we can build the Totem of Light

Moog verified in night chat that he got the Totem blueprint from page 14

Now IF HK is telling the truth here:

We can test that people have at least a certain amount of batteries (such as Hip and Timdood contribute 3 each, which proves very little except the likelyhood that they have the double item ability which means it's more likely be town-sided comedians (and I've done similar with my 4 pages of paper)
Or we could 'test' Timdood/Hip + Sessy
We'd just need people to grab page 14 (the blueprint is required to build it)

Now here are some ways this plan can go terribly wrong:
  • HK was lying about the contribute X item and it contributes everything, or randomly selects items from people, etc. Moog only verified the blueprint in night chat, and HK never mentioned the contribute message when he revealed the Totem in the nightchat I shared with him
  • The Totem of Light is a tool for the suspicious engineer (who is hoarding batteries and/or the selfish person who wants the Light) wants to unlock and we're hurting ourselves by building this totem
  • The host is about to be killed by a player with a win condition to survive 5 days or something weird like that and we're in a mislynch and lose situation right now
Here's some FUN pages:

Anyway sessy/ltin scum and also technicians are basically engineers and therefore scum
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
There is one problem here that invalidates any of this.
None of us have the totem blueprint.
On top of that, I'm pretty sure the totem (if it's real) and the tester run on the same emergency power supply, meaning only one of them can be used per 3 night cycle.

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
There is one problem here that invalidates any of this.
None of us have the totem blueprint.
On top of that, I'm pretty sure the totem (if it's real) and the tester run on the same emergency power supply, meaning only one of them can be used per 3 night cycle.
Do you think we're able to build a tester realistically? We're missing 3 items and we have 5 people alive and we'll likely get 1 room open after we lynch people so that mafia can get their kill
Once we start lynching/dying from the darkness we only lose more items
We get the Totem blueprint by reading page 14 (at least Moog got it that way and he's as proven as we can get)

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Idk, Ltin has always seemed scum to me but we’re all gonna bandwagon here
I’m gonna vote Ltin simply because I don’t want to vote myself but I know this is the end of the road for me.

Vote Ltin

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Votecount

sessybessy - hipmeow, Timdood3, webpaige (3/3)
Ltin - sessybessy (1/3)

--

"Very well. You've made your decision, I see. Good.

There's no need to make this drag out like the last time. You. The one vote-"

A burst of static interrupts the voice. And then, a new voice comes through.

"Okay. I'm in. Alright you guys, listen up, I don't have much time here so I'm just giving you a quick heads up.

We're getting you out. This stops, now.

Only... um, in order to do that, it's kind of tricky. There's no simple way to do it, which is why... we have to do it this way. You're not gonna like the sound of this but to be blunt, you've got no say in it anyway so I'm just trying to be polite and telling you what's about to happen.

You're about to die. But not really, because we're gonna bring you back. Uh... it's complicated, but just trust me. It's your only way out of here. To die, and then we collect your souls and we bring you back. You'll keep your bodies too, it all comes back, and any injuries you've sustained will be fixed. But, and here's the important part - it'll only bring you back if you died after it's activated. So... I know one of you is about to go on stage. And I know how awful it is. I do. But just... if you can just hold on, just try to hold on for as long as you can, because if you make it to when it's been activated you'll survive and you'll be fine. I promise. So please. Whoever it is you've chosen to go, just hang on.

And that's about all the time I have before that prick can hear me - which is bad. So don't tell them I spoke here. Once they're out talking to the audience I should be good again but any second now they'll be back. Just do what you usually do, act like nothing happened. We're getting you out of there. I swear. Okay, bye."

Another burst of static.

"Hmm? Ah. There. Apologies. Technical difficulties. But it's fixed now, so nothing to worry about.

Anyway. As I was saying...

You.

The one they voted for.

Step onto the stage."

You look around the room at the others, baffled at what you just heard, and unsure how to react.

They're getting you out?

But you're going to die?

You realise you're frowning and remember that the other voice said to act normal. You aren't sure if you should play along but you do. Your heart is beating quickly. You're sweating. You're scared.

"Well? MOVE."

The one you voted for, looking slightly confused, begins to move towards the stage at the end of the Lobby. They reach up and pull themselves up. They take a quick moment to look back at you all, and then they face the curtain.

As usual, the curtain reveals the concrete wall behind it, the person steps forward, and then the curtains close. The sound of releasing air and groaning of pipes, then a pause, and then the same sound again, completes the usual sequence.

"Good.

Remember. This is your final moment. Use it well. Don't waste that newfound spirit you've got."

The monitor above the stage flickers to reveal the darkened auditorium.

Thoughts race through your mind. Whether to trust the new voice. Whether you're prepared to stand passively and let somebody kill you. Whether that will even happen. Whether you should say something, or do something, or what you should do.

The monitor lightens up a little. You see the crowd, energetic and jumping up and down.

You look around at the others. They look around at you. You each share the same expression - concern, wanting to learn what the right thing to do is from the others, panicking.

The monitor's audio kicks in after a brief moment of static. The cheering and screaming roars through the room, as unbearable as ever. You flinch. Your palms are clammy and your throat is dry.

Are you going to die?

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND NOW. THE MOMENT YOU'VE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL BEEEN WAITING FOR. PLEASE PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER, FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR... THE COMEDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

The cheering intensifies. It hurts.

And then the person you voted for walks out on stage, slowly, very slowly, towards the microphone.

The audience quietens down. Silence falls upon the auditorium.

"There. I should be alright to speak again now."

"WHAT IS YOUR NAME, COMEDIAN?"

"So... it's almost ready. I hope you're alright. I know I've kinda dropped this bomb on you but I promise you're gonna be outta here and safe. Just hang on."

"sessy"

"They can't hear me. The one on stage. I'm speaking through the monitor. So I hope they just hang on."

"AND WHAT IS YOUR JOKE, COMEDIAN?"

"my future"

Silence.

More silence.

And then, just as before, a little chuckle is heard.

And then another.

And then another.

And another, and another, and another, and another and the whole room is suddenly exploding with laughter, heaps and heaps of it, an enormous monster of laughter engulfing the entire building, pulling at your brain, biting into your eardrums, shaking the air around you. They laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and it goes on and on and on and on and on and on.

And then something is lowered from above the stage. A tall metal pole. It lands on the stage behind the person you voted for. And two small metal arms protrude out of it, grabbing the person and pulling them backwards, tightly holding them to the pole.

And then a liquid of some sort falls onto them. A lot of it. It drenches them.

The audience are still laughing, cackling, clapping, louder and louder and louder. You need it to stop. You hate it. You'll never grow used to it. You can barely cope.

But are you really going to die?

"Alright. It's almost there. I'll do a countdown. Try to keep your thoughts and prayers with the one on stage. Try to help them get through it. They just need to last a little longer..."

Suddenly the audience erupts in cheers. Your eyes snap around the monitor, searching for what had made them react like that. And then, slowly lowering down from the ceiling, is what looks like a wooden torch, aflame.

It slowly lowers lower and lower towards the person you voted. They look up towards it, their face frightened.

It lowers towards them more. The crowd screams even louder.

"15."

It lowers in front of them. The crowd scream even more.

"14."

And then a smaller flame suddenly sparks to life on their arm, and instantly grows to become a giant flame, covering their entire body. The person screams.

"13."

The audience are going crazy. They've never been this loud before. You feel your perception warping, disorientating at the unbearable volume of their cheers of delight, as a ball of fire in the shape of a person stands, screaming a blood-curdling, vicious, desperate scream.

"12."

The screams of the person you voted for rise and rise in volume. It never stops for breath. It keeps going. Louder and louder. You watch on in horror as their skin begins to turn black.

"11."

And then...

It happens.

The person you voted for's skin changes completely. All of it, every visible part, goes pitch black. And then the metal pole holding them does too. And then even the flames grow darker. The entire room grows darker. The stage is barely visible. The audience gasp.

"10."

Amongst the chaos of the flames, one large, impossibly dark shadow rises out of the body of the person you voted for, who is still screaming in agony, still burning.

And you feel it. Similar to before, but a little stronger this time.

That terror.

The terror you didn't think you could ever exist. The terror you didn't think you were capable of feeling. It suffocates you, it squeezes your heart, it freezes you in place.

"9."

The shadow climbs through the flames towards the ceiling, and the flames spread up behind it, as it trying to drag it back down.

It moves. Not across the space but... within itself. It somehow moves, the darkness, it twists and struggles. And the orange flames claw at it, climbing up it.

"8."

Locked in a battle of flame and darkness, the half-pitch-black, half-flamed shape that you see above the stage writhes around, as though it were in pain, as though it were trying to kick the flames away. A whirlpool of fire and dark forms in the air, swishing and twisting around one another, an endless meshing of dark and light growing larger and larger and larger.

"7."

And all the while, you're frozen in place. You can't move. You can't even begin to imagine how it feels. To see it there, fighting. The most terrifying thing in existence, in a horrific battle of fire. Your heart is pulled from side to side. Your stomach churns. You feel the most unbearable, unforgivable terror. And then you feel the most invigorating hope. And it switches back and forth, back and forth, pushing your heart to the extremes over and over as you watch the very thing your soul is most afraid of in the Universe tackle with the thing you've known your entire life - light.

"6."

The person you voted for is still screaming. It hurts even more than the audience's noise. It dominates your ears.

"5."

You're overwhelmed. You can't think anymore. You can only feel. You and the rest of the group come together. You hold hands. You watch the monitor, and you squeeze tight.

"4."

The fire climbs higher and higher and there's barely any dark left. The Darkness pulls and turns and darkens the flames but the flames don't stop. They rise and grow and it hurts your eyes to watch.

"3."

The person you voted for is still screaming. Still alive. Still in agony.

"2."

The flames engulf the dark almost in its entirety. Only a small piece of darkness is left. A tiny, unforgivable terror, strangled by fire. The flames get brighter, far, far brighter. They climb towards the very last spec of dark.

"1."

You hear a familiar sound of machinery. The unfolding of the turrets from yesterday. And then several gun shots.

You fall to the floor, the bodies of those around you bleeding out onto the Lobby carpet the final things you see before your vision goes completely black.

------------

Some time later

"So."

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes. It did."

"...Hmph."

"And The Darkness?"

"It... was a close call, actually. As it turns out, The Darkness had actually infiltrated the group. From what I can tell, it severed off a small part of itself and was using one of the group like a puppet."

"It's not-"

"No. No... the host didn't make it. It died roughly a second too early. So that was lucky."

"Hm. And a team has been sent to secure the rest of it, I assume?"

"Yes. It's weakened now so it can't do much harm for the time being. It should be easy to secure. And hopefully it will never hurt anybody ever again."

"Hm. I see."

Footsteps.

"Good work."

"You too."

A pause.

"I hate-"

"I know. You hate how we have to leave it there. The Club."

"It needs to stop. We can't just turn a blind eye to it, more people will-"

"It's not what we came here to do."

"I thought we came here to do some good."

"We can't save everybody, Sasha. We have to prioritise."

A pause.

"I disagree."

"You're free to."

"Then I'll assemble a team together and we'll take it out."

"You'll do no such thing. The Comedy Club stays. If we do any more to aggravate them we risk the lives of everybody here."

"We can escape them. We've got the parts."

"We can't run forever."

A pause.

"I'm going to go back and check on them again. They've been through a lot."

"Mhm."

Footsteps.

A long sigh.

"May the future Comedians have quick, painless deaths, every one of them. Bless their souls."

--

sessybessy was sessybessy, The Darkness.

Before that, sessybessy was sessybessy, Follower of the Darkness 1:

"
The Darkness is a kind God. It has granted you talents, promised you everlasting tranquillity, and revealed to you the true nature of this world, the corruption that festers around you. Your peers are not in their right mind. They are brainwashed, and only you and the Darkness can free them. You offer your assistance. It whispers to you during the night. It kindly considers your requests. It will never harm you, for it never harms those it loves. The Darkness is a kind, loving God.

Furthermore, The Darkness has seen into your heart and tailored a talent especially for you. You have no prior experience with dark magic, but The Darkness, your gentle teacher, shows you how.

Alignment: Mafia

Role: Follower of The Darkness 1

Abilities: Take a clip of hair from somebody you are spending the night with. Use it on another night to paralyse [roleblock] that player. [Overrides The Darkness’ paralysis].

Win condition: Have the Mafia compose of at least 50% of the alive players"

--

End of Day 4: A Necessary Exit

--

The Comedy Club

Town Win

webpaige was xXx_420_PU55Y_D3STR0Y3R_69_xXx, a Comedian.
hipmeow was JOE CAR, a Comedian.
Timdood3 was Unnamed, a
Comedian.
Ltin was Ltin, the Technician:
"
You don’t remember how you got here, or where you are… but you remember who you are. You worked for the STS, maintaining and innovating spacecraft and their on-board technology. You are proud of your notable work on the S.S. Starlight, the Rundervelt, and the infamous ZUPLAR. Being a specialist in technology, you think you might be able to use your genius productively… it just isn’t quite clear yet how. From what you can gather, this building seems to be some sort of performance space, so there’s probably a Lighting Box somewhere. You think if you can get yourself there - the place, if anywhere, surely to be equipped with some sort of technology at the very least – you might be able to come up with an idea. But you have a feeling that you should keep that to yourself for now.

Alignment: Town

Role: Technician

Abilities: ??? (Unlocked after obtaining a Microchip: Attach a Paralysis Chip to any one person you're spending the Night with. Use it on any other Night to paralyse (roleblock) that person, consuming the Paralysis Chip used.)

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to Town"

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for playing. I hope you had some fun – I know I did!!

Sorry for the long essays of flavour. I had no idea the writing would be that long-winded, but to achieve the ‘vision’ I had in mind for each moment, they ended up like that lol. Hopefully it wasn’t too bad.

I’ve got a bit more writing below explaining my thought process on the mechanics and roles throughout the game in case you’re curious. I must admit I was slightly wrong when predicting some stuff and so a couple of the roles ended up being completely useless so apologies for that. If I ever host again I’ll do my best to make sure that the roles themselves are more fun to play as as well. Contrary to my setups in the past, I wanted the cast of roles here to be pretty barebones, and the PR roles only ‘somewhat’ useful, but in hindsight I probably should’ve tried to keep the roles more interesting.

But anyways, I hope overall you had a good time. Well done to Town for winning, and to Mafia for putting up a good fight.

Oh and there are some awards at the bottom of this post too.

Seeya in the next game!

-

The Setup:

Roles:

Roles

Town

Detective (Alisha): If sharing a room with a corpse you may inspect it to determine whether the cause of death was the same as the previous corpse that you inspected. Leave your findings in a journal with your corpse.

Survivalist (Omni): Craft wire barricades to prevent intruders to the room you are in during the night. [Requires 1 x Wire]

Cultist (TWG): Cast a forbidden spell. [Spend the night with only one other person in each of the four corner rooms of the building to unlock. OR spend two nights in different corners of the building with one other person and obtain an Orb of Casting to unlock. Spell doubles everybody's loot items once in the game.]

Technician (Ltin): Attach a Paralysis Chip to any one person you're spending the Night with. Use it on any other Night to paralyse (roleblock) that person, consuming the Paralysis Chip used.

Cyborg (Stranger): Be notified of how many of each loot item the people in your current room are collectively carrying overall.

Comedian (Moog, hip, Tim, paige): Having nothing else to do during the night, you spend a little more time gathering items. [x2 Loot]

Mafia

The Darkness (HK): Mafia Killing Entity

Follower of the Darkness 1 (sessy): Mafia Paralyser

Follower of the Darkness 2 (Notty): Mafia Loot Destroyer

Rationale:

The main mechanic was designed to let town have some control over who scum can kill at night, making reads not only important for day lynches, but also important for the nightly deaths.

Therefore the scum's kill was restricted to the rule that they could only kill people who weren't in a pair, with the exception of a limited-time use ability to kill anybody. This would be necessary if town planned their rooms well, because using priority lists or 'if these rooms are blacked, let's go in these rooms' posts, the town could ensure several people at night were unable to be killed, i.e. plan to keep the ones most town-read safe. And if a town’s room was blacked and they had to visit a pair and make them vulnerable, they could choose to avoid the ones they trusted. Therefore, the only chance the scum would have for killing widely trusted players was to use that limited ability to kill anyone.

Meanwhile, the limited ability allowed some room for some framing strats. If a pair was planned to stay in a night locked away, the scum could use their limited kill ability to kill one and make it look like the other had abandoned them alone. Alternatively, if the information on this limited kill ability was public (meaning a Follower had been lynched), the scum could target people who town were locking away in pairs by infiltrating the pair and abandoning them to join another room (which is why they could join Engulfed rooms - so they they could hide away with nobody knowing), and then use the excuse of 'the mafia must have used their limited ability to kill them, because I stayed in the room with them I swear' excuse to try to get away with it – or use that strategy idea as wifom for framing somebody else once again.

Additionally, the town in this setup was pretty barebones. I wanted this to be a difficult game that encouraged making reads rather than waiting for investigation results, so I made town's only hope of an investigation require collaboration to build a machine for it. The buildable concept was a purely-town orientated one and mafia had motivation to prevent them from building anything, including the Totem of Light which would allow the entire town to be safe from the Darkness for a night if planned well.

I also wanted there to be the option to do things in secret from the rest of the group. E.g., two townies find the blueprint for the Soul Verification Machine, but they don't want scum to know about it since it also comes with a list of where items are, so they decide that since they trust each other they'll keep it to themselves, and let a couple of other people they trust know about it and secretly plan to build it one night to prove one of themselves to the rest - so they send out invitations using paper to ask them to come to a certain room (or insert backup rooms if that is blacked out).

I also wanted the town to have a clear motivation to make scum vulnerable, so that if the room they had planned to join had blacked out and they were forced to make a pair vulnerable, they'd try to stay away from townies to stop them from being nightkilled, but join people they scumread because the Darkness could try to kill them, taking the bullet for a townie instead and keeping them one night away from losing the game by having no deaths that night. The other players could then also make reads based on which rooms players chose to enter – if they made somebody they previously townread vulnerable, they could question why they’d do that and wonder whether their reads list was genuine, or whether they just changed their mind, for example. Or if a player goes against group consensus and makes a widely-trusted player vulnerable, they could decide whether their reasons for distrusting them were valid.

Of course, the motivation of specifically trying to get the Darkness to kill a scum buddy and make a nokill would only appear and be useful once one of the pamphlet pages (which hinted at the Darkness being able to kill Followers and resulting in a nokill) was read and interpreted correctly. But the motivation for avoiding making trusted players vulnerable was meant to be there from start.

Meanwhile, since I wanted this to be a difficult game, I designed the PRs to be only 'somewhat' useful each - and often they were only useful in specific situations to act as a 'counter' to a mafia strategy that they might have done.

Alisha's role, the Detective, functioned as the town's only ability to truly unwravel the 'Did the Followers kill them and X and Y were in a pair, or did Y abandon X and the Darkness killed them?' question. Being able to determine whether the cause of death was the same as the previous one meant she would be able to answer that question once the Follower's mechanics information was public and use that to give the town some solid reads, but only if she had access to the corpses. This means that she'd need to be subtle about her room patterns lest the Darkness catch on that she was only visiting rooms with dead bodies in. It was a difficult role to play, especially if she didn't consider that somebody was controlling which rooms were locked away, because then she could easily just claim it and then have her role lose its use. Which is why it was so important that she didn't claim - and so I also gave her a journal so that she didn't even have to claim if she feared for her life because there would still be a chance her results would get seen anyway.

Stranger's role, the Cyborg, functioned as the town's 'counter' to the mafia strategy of hiding items. Since the town's buildables were a threat to the mafia, the mafia had a clear motivation to lie about the items they had to prevent themselves from having to contribute. Should they have used this strategy, Stranger's role was town's only way of catching them out. I made it so that she could only see what items people had in the room collectively so that there was still a little room for mafia to wiggle out of it should they be caught, by trying to blame it on another person in the room if they weren't in a pair.

Omni's role, the Survivalist, was basically a nerfed town doctor - they couldn't prevent most kills, they could only prevent the Follower's one, and only if they had wire. It was basically a 'you need to choose who you protect, and when you protect them, very carefully' scenario, making it another difficult role but one that could prevent a night kill. If town planned well, they could keep trusted town roles safe and the mafia's only counter to that would be to use their limited kill ability. Omni's role was the sort of 'unlikely chance of a counter' for that.

TWG's role, the Cultist, was designed to give town a better chance at building things late-game when items would be scarce and comedians would possibly be dead. I wanted his action to come into play near the end of the game, hence why it took a while for him to unlock his ability, making it a role where surviving for a long time was key. Furthermore, since he had to be with one person only, he had to try and be townread as much as possible to persuade town to let him stay in a pair. The main reason I made that choice was since I wanted town to absolutely want to pair up, even at the start when it might not be quite clear how useful it actually was, so I wanted at least one townie who had a clear motive to pair up so that they'd inject that into the game and try to get that idea going. I probably ended up making TWG's role too difficult to unlock their spell so that's my bad. TWG also had two paths to unlock his spell - either spending an night in each corner room, or spending 2 nights in corner rooms and spending another night or two in a non-corner room, where batteries were more likely to be found. So he could try to go for corners but if they were locked away, he could still make progress towards unlocking it if he managed to get into a room with batteries or find one with the 20% chance mechanic.

Ltin's role, the Technician, was a nerfed town blocker. Again I wanted the PRs to be fairly barebones so I made the town's blocker only able to use their role with microchips, making it limited use, and only able to be used if they managed to get into a room with somebody first. Unfortunately I failed to predict just how difficult it would be to unlock this ability so I made this role kind of redundant - my bad.

And finally out of the town roles, what is probably the most useful role in the game - the Comedian. I wanted this to function like a vanilla townie pool, giving mafia an easy fake claim to jump in on. Unfortunately the fact they could prove themselves to gain x2 items didn't cross my mind at all, but it wasn't a total disaster as there was still a possibility there for a scum role who has x2 items that made town's comedian claims less clear town than they would be otherwise, but I still regret not realizing that sooner. The comedian roles were town's main way of building the Soul Verification Machine and clearing the fog a little by revealing somebody's alignment during the night, and at building the Totem of Light.

Meanwhile the Mafia Followers were designed to be able to either (a) paralyse someone in the event that either the Darkness doesn't, or in the event the Darkness does but you don't trust them to choose the target you'd prefer [for sessy's role], and (b) remove town's items to prevent them from building things [notty's role].

--

Awards Ceremony

Alisha – A Series of Unfortunate Occurrences - Had a ROUGH time this game. “Purified” N1, Paralysed N2, Killed N3, and under serious heat on Days 1 and 2. I felt sorry for her.

Ltin – Still Looking For A Microchip – Legend has it, he still is. Another very unfortunate time for Ltin with never managing to even unlock his ability, which is my fault for not realizing it’d be so difficult. Sorry Ltin, but I’m glad you kept trying your best and I loved watching you play.

TWG – An Honest Mistake – I think TWG’s fatal mistake was being so willing to be honest about his role to Notty, which ended up in his death because the Mafia decided he sounded too powerful to keep around. He’s also a victim of having a role probably too difficult to ever unlock its usage out of – sorry Job.

Stranger – Agreeing To Die – Stranger’s decision to rate Mooglie’s post Agree was, I think, the biggest force that pushed her to be lynched Day 1. It was quite an unfortunate accident that she never got time to address before sent to be speared to death. Rip.

Omni – True To The Role – Omni was indeed the best Survivalist ever. A shame he died Night 1 since he was pushing Notty from the start, but he got what he wanted in the end anyway.

Mooglie – Leader To Victory – I felt like Moog sort of naturally fell into a leader position this game, and it was really fun watching him theorising about the setup, and I commend his effort for trying to organize town, and honourably keeping track of the pamphlet paraphrasing.

Hipmeow – <o> - Out of everybody in this game I was most impressed by hip’s reads. He was among the first to call out both Notty and Sessy and was right about none of the Comedians being Mafia. A well-deserved win I’d say.

Tim – Setup Analyst – Tim really impressed me with his analysis of the mechanics of the game. With that he was able to deduce both Notty and HK being Mafia, as well as come up with the idea to use the Darkness mechanic to keep town-read people safe at Night – something I was kind of relying on in order for a couple of the roles to be useful (as mentioned above).

Paige – The Real Comedian – Paige made me laugh a lot throughout the game and sprinkled a lot of humour into the game for me. Awards going by so fast nobody will see this but sometimes I like to cover myself in lube and pretend I’m a slug

Notty – Framed For A Crime They Didn’t Commit – Notty’s lynch was pretty unfortunate. Whilst some people seemed convinced that a “purifier” could never be town, I think one of the main reasons the lynch went through was because (a) they didn’t say they had to be in certain rooms to use their ability at the start, (b) they weren’t able to use their ability because none of their rooms were available, and therefore (c) they looked liked they’d become The Darkness. In reality of course they hadn’t and they just weren’t able to use their ability. In hindsight, had they visited the Basement or somewhere during that night, they may have actually gotten away with it, since Sessy was left alone in a room so could have lied and said Notty was with her the whole time. But Notty had no way of predicting that of course.

Sessy – A Loyal Friend – At one point, Notty gave Sessy the green light to bus them since Notty was in some trouble. But Sessy refused and fought by their side which I thought was really sweet. And they also claimed to not know their role name after Notty got some heat for doing the same, all to protect her fellow Follower. It was really nice to watch.

HK – Laziness Is A Valid Strat – Not saying HK was playing lazily here because he wasn’t and I was really impressed with his play actually – if it wasn’t for his claim mishap I thought he’d go on to the end. But HK decided to choose the rooms that he did to Engulf every night because they were the first ones on the list of rooms he received and he said he was being lazy, and unknowingly blacked out some of the most useful rooms in the game for every night that he was alive. Not that town needed those rooms in the end anyway though.

--