DarkHender's Operator Application (2nd)

D

DarkHender

In-game username: DarkHender

Time-zone: Eastern GMT-5

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? Normally 2-5 hours a day but some days I have ranged to 9 hours or more. It all depends on what I am doing that day.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? Staff keep the server fun and enjoyable but also lay down the law when it is needed. You are a role model to other players and are expected to keep things under control. You unflood houses, keep the chat appropriate and help new and old players around the game.

What sets you apart from other applicants? Within the last few years I have learned a lot about staffing. I've staffed multiple servers on blocktopia and I staffed ROF the longest (over a year). I know all of the commands and I understand how and when to use them. I have seen operators handle things and I have handled things on rof before so I understand when mutes/bans/tempbans are appropriate.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? Sometimes I get overwhelmed and cannot respond correctly to some players and have to get another staff member to help me. As a player I like to make my own home as much as I like to stay in a community home and so I suppose I am not as social as a player.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? Contact other staff to see if they have any solution. If they do not and It needs to be solved now I would deal with it to the best of my abilities and their advice. If it can wait I would ask around the staff team.

What previous experience staffing on Blocktopia servers do you have?
Ex Infection Operator April 4th - May 9th (1 Month)
Ex Rituals of Fire Operator April 26th - May 13th (1 year and 1 month)
Ex Classic Zombie Trusted October 12th - November 2nd (Around 2 weeks)
Ex Classic Zombie Operator November 2nd - Closing (5 months)
Ex Journey to Elysium Trusted January 1st - April 26th (5 months)

References: Kevin28, WiiGoGetter, IQDestructor, Coolioruless.

Last edited by a moderator:

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes~ you have no idea how glad I am to see you reapply. I was sad when you resigned before and did not understand why you did so. We already know you're capable of handling the rank. There's no question about maturity, either. Although I'm going with a huuuuuge +1 for you, I'd like to know how well you'll do with school coming back around the corner? Think there will be enough time to play and focus on that? I know there are some times during school that things can get hectic, such as midterm season or end of the quarter testing.

(Do you even *need* to go on trial?)

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
This one is a hard one for me. Your application is pretty good. You stuck to the important stuff, and that's ok.
Fairly active, very mature player. You definitely have a lot of experience and know the server very well.

Unfortunately, i don't feel comfortable giving you a plus one. The majority of your time online seems to be afking. Lately, they've been cracking down on staff making ontime that way. Another big thing for me is your interaction with the player-base. Even a year ago, i never felt like you interacted much. (To specify, i consider interaction to be just having conversations or helping build a house.) You seemed distant to me.

When i got operator a year ago, i saw that within the staff, too. I was new and you had a lot of experience. Anytime i messed up, i was scolded more than i was constructively criticized.

When i make these votes, i don't just consider how well they'll do their job as a staff member, but also consider their personality and attitude toward the player base and fellow staff. That said, it wouldn't be fair for me to use stuff that happened a year ago as a basis for my vote now. People can change, but i don't have much more experience with you, otherwise. Do I think you'd do your job well? Absolutely. But sometimes being "too mature" can cloud out other desired qualities. 0

W

Wimali

I staffed with you for a few weeks a year ago and I have no doubts that you're a good staff member. I see no reason for you to get denied. However, I'd like to point out that I think your activity is a bit of a problem. You've spent only around 8 hours on the server in the past week, and I know quite a bit of that has been AFK'ing. I'm not -that- worried about it, because I think you'll probably pick up in activity. I'm not allowed to vote on this though, so that's just my opinion.

D

DarkHender

I'd like to know how well you'll do with school coming back around the corner? Think there will be enough time to play and focus on that? I know there are some times during school that things can get hectic, such as midterm season or end of the quarter testing.
I am hopefully enrolling in an online homeschooling academy. So therefor I think I will have a lot of time to staff and work on my school work!

Add me to your references.

You were amazing while you were here, I see no reason to let you back!
+1
Alright, thank you!

Unfortunately, i don't feel comfortable giving you a plus one. The majority of your time online seems to be afking. Lately, they've been cracking down on staff making ontime that way. Another big thing for me is your interaction with the player-base. Even a year ago, i never felt like you interacted much. (To specify, i consider interaction to be just having conversations or helping build a house.) You seemed distant to me.
That's fine. Thank you for being honest. I did state that as a player I like to be my own home as much as I like joining and contributing to a community build. And I'm sorry- but I do not get what you mean? I speak with the player base a lot. (You might not be online when I do though) But as staff over the last year I can assure that I was plenty active, nonafky and contributed to the chat and to community builds. (and for sure will again)

I staffed with you for a few weeks a year ago and I have no doubts that you're a good staff member. I see no reason for you to get denied. However, I'd like to point out that I think your activity is a bit of a problem. You've spent only around 8 hours on the server in the past week, and I know quite a bit of that has been AFK'ing. I'm not -that- worried about it, because I think you'll probably pick up in activity. I'm not allowed to vote on this though, so that's just my opinion.
None of it has been afking. Maybe 30 minutes or so last night for writing this application. I afked last week a bit that I can remember but most of this week I haven't afked.
Thank you for your kind words.

Reactions: 1 person

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen you staff and you're a very capable staff member seeing you've had so much experience but lately I haven't seen you, probably mostly due to the timezones which has always been a problem when it comes to people in your timezone or similar. I know you're mature and friendly but I'd like to have the chance to check you out before I actually vote. Even though I'm going with an 0 for now I wish you luck and I'd be happy to see you get your rank back again.

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
The majority of your time online seems to be afking.
I know quite a bit of that has been AFK'ing.
None of it has been afking. Maybe 30 minutes or so last night for writing this application. I afked last week a bit that I can remember but most of this week I haven't afked.
Unless somehow these 2 Operators and myself can somehow misunderstand you being AFK before you writing your application AFK then I have to highly doubt that you haven't been AFK'ing at least some. I've also seen you AFK in the past when you were staff and I've seen you do it currently as a player. Does that mean I don't do it and I'm the almighty non-ever-AFK staff member? Hell no. I'm as guilty as sin with AFK'ing consistently. To be honest, I can't even really hold this against you or judge you on it considering I've done it so often myself but I know not even mentioning that in this post would be counter-productive of expressing my opinions on this application.

But moving on to other things, No one can argue your maturity or kindness. You're as mature as most of our staff team and in my eyes, even more mature than some and I think this boosts your ability to make sound judgement calls and I'd love to have someone like that back.

Now for my ending. Due to my previous experiences with you and you're one of my closest friends on Blocktopia. I feel I can't really pass an unbiased vote considering how close I am to you. I will thus be voting 0 on your application and wish you the best of luck on your seemingly upcoming trial.

Best of luck on the rest of your application and upcoming trial,

std1997

Last edited:

Calfish

A&T Fiesh
Reaction score
I haven't seen you alot lately, and I on the other side of the others, haven't seen you as staff. I do know you as a very kind and mature person. In my eyes, you tend to go AFK quite the bit, and this does concerns me. When you are active, it seems in my perspective that you mostly interact with the elder players/staff members. I can't recall seeing you doing things with the newer players. Again, this might be just me.

Your application is good, and you have an amazing amount of experience, though, I'd like to give you a 0 on this one. On the +1 side.

Good luck with your application!
Fiesh out.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
There are 21 instances of the word "AFK" throughout the responses, if we could find other things besides this to critique Dark on, that'd be nice absolutely grand. I know it's a legitimate concern but it's being run into the ground.

That said, I know you're doing the best you can to stay active. I'm gonna go with a trial to make sure you stay active on the server, since that's really the only criticism being tossed around. You were fantastic as staff before, and still have an excellent staffing mentality in terms of maturity and friendliness, so I'm sure you'll do perfectly fine this time around. Just need to confirm that you'll stay active.

• Informative
Reactions: Ogarci

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
You have a ton of staff experience and you were a valuable part of the team family during my time as Director. That being said, it would be a pleasure to work alongside you again. I have full confidence that you know and have what it takes to be successful as a staff member on this server. +1 from me.

If I may suggest a way to improve upon the concerns that are present about the AFK situation. This is what I do: if I cannot focus fully 100% on the server at the time, I do not get on the server. If I am building and I become stuck and do not know where to place the next block, either I jump around and think until I get an idea, or I leave the server and come back when I have focus. Similarly, when I am on the server and something/anything comes up that takes my attention away, I leave, whether that be someone sending me a youtube link, me getting a phone call, what have you. I'm not saying that its not okay to ocassionally AFK for a few seconds, but this is what keeps me from being AFK :)

Reactions: IQD
D

DarkHender

You have a ton of staff experience and you were a valuable part of the team family during my time as Director. That being said, it would be a pleasure to work alongside you again. I have full confidence that you know and have what it takes to be successful as a staff member on this server. +1 from me.

If I may suggest a way to improve upon the concerns that are present about the AFK situation. This is what I do: if I cannot focus fully 100% on the server at the time, I do not get on the server. If I am building and I become stuck and do not know where to place the next block, either I jump around and think until I get an idea, or I leave the server and come back when I have focus. Similarly, when I am on the server and something/anything comes up that takes my attention away, I leave, whether that be someone sending me a youtube link, me getting a phone call, what have you. I'm not saying that its not okay to ocassionally AFK for a few seconds, but this is what keeps me from being AFK :)
Thank you very much for the advice. I will keep that in mind!

• Love
Reactions: Ogarci

CaffeinatedKitty

Intoxicated Feline
Reaction score
Mmk.
I know that you know what it takes to be an op, and I recall that you did well while you were one--but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be the same now. When I first read this, I was kind of skeptical, seeing as I hadn't seen you for a while and when I did you seemed to be afk, but my opinion's slowly changing. You seem to be becoming more active in chat and helpful as well. But still, as of now it doesn't feel quite right to give you a +1, so I'll be sticking with a 0 for now.

Kevin_28

Reaction score
Hi there DarkHender,

A little late for me, but I'll basically echo what other people have said. My experience with you as a staff member has been very positive. You know the rules and you enforce them well. I have no doubt in my mind that you would serve just as well, if not, better this time around as an operator. On the AFK issue, from what I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks, you have been consistently interacting with the playerbase and I have not seen much AFKing from you. So, while I don't disagree with what others have said in regards to your AFK tendencies, I do believe that you are making a very good effort to change that. Solid +1 for me.

Sincerely,
Kevin_28