Da_Jinks DoD VetOp Application: The Third

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
In-game username: Da_Jinks.

Staff references (Controller+): I have the references of Old_Man_Oak63, Biblius and Danni122112. Along with the reference of our former VetOp Zippywins.

Other Blocktopia staff experience (present and past): I have been Trusted on the following servers: Classic Zombie and Journey to Elysium. I have been/or am Operator on the following servers: SMP4, Journey to Elysium and Dusk of Discordia.

How would you describe the responsibility and obligation of the rank you apply for: VetOps have many of the responsibilities of Operator while taking up new ones. I feel one of the most important roles of any staff is being mature and active, talking with new players and playing the game. They should be willing to help, listen to players concerns and help make each players experience enjoyable. They must keep the server running smoothly, whether this be dealing with tickets, dealing with player issues, helping players and fellow staff or reporting bugs and issues to Directors/Admins, they should be willing to stop what they are doing and help with any of these things whenever needed. VetOps should also be well spoken, willing to make suggestions without fear of being rejected and able to accept the criticism given. A important part of this is coming up with events, and being willing to work on these and operate them when needed.

Assume that there are more applicants and can only pick one of them, why you?: I have a large amount of staffing experience, particularly with the SMP servers. Three weeks ago I was rejected for VetOp, and I feel I was able to understand why I was rejected and use it to improve myself. I'm active both within the community and the chat, have a good knowledge of the commands and am willing to suggest just about anything I feel can make the server a better place to be. I'm creative when coming up with these suggestions, along with coming up with events and other things. I feel I would fit well with the VetOp rank and am willing to learn the new tasks, commands and requirements that come with it.

If there is a problem you aren’t sure of how to deal with, what will you do: I would try to grab another staff, via forums, servers, IRC or Steam. If I could not, I will deal with the situation at hand to the best of my ability and ask a fellow staff member how I did and what I could do to improve.

How experienced are you with the current commands on the server, and would you be able to grasp many new commands quickly?: I feel I am very experienced with the commands, and have a good understanding of Prism, WorldEdit, ModReq, along with the towns system and economy system.

What’s the best thing you have ever read?: The Westing Game. It brings together suspense, humor and puzzle into one amazing book. It never gets boring, bringing new twists and turns until the very end. You constantly guess who is who and at the end it leaves you surprised and pleased.

If you have any extra information you’d like to share, please do so here: I just want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me, I truly love this server and community and cannot imagine playing Minecraft anywhere else. Thank you for reading and considering this, Jinks.

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Before we consider anything, let us consider your first two applications for Veteran Operator.

We've decided to place you at Operator for the server opening. You are a great staff member who always logs in with upbeat and enthusiastic, diffusing stressful moments and working to solve things in the nicest way possible. Your staffing record is also great, having staffed SMP twice and making decisions that aren't easy to make. We know you already know the server in and out, and hope you have a great time!
Many Veteran Operator applicants, myself included, were put as Operators when the server launched. This was done because there was a limited amount of Veteran Operator openings. Many staff were, in the eyes of the administration, not quite ready for the rank, but were certainly suited to be Operators.

Hello!

Hi Jinks,

Sadly we are going to have to decline this application. We're not sure if you have enough dedication to be a VetOp, and while you're a great Op and we know it we have not seen enough of it yet this SMP. We think it would be in best interest to wait a bit before reapplying, and hopefully by then you can prove yourself and get the rank.

Thanks for your interest in the rank, and don't let this dishearten you from trying at it again.
- superstein and SparklyMuffinz
Now, on this second application I voted in favor of Jinks, as did all Veteran Operators of the time. Jinks was denied because he hadn't, in the eyes of the administration, accomplished enough to warrant a promotion. In many ways, this makes some sense. Jinks was working on many projects, but none of them were finished. However, recently he's completed an important command for the server, an accomplishment which took quite a bit of time and effort. To my knowledge, Jinks is just learning coding. In spite of this, he's successfully brought this command to our server. Along with this, he has volunteered to help me on an upcoming event, and he's done quite a bit already! I do not think we consider a staff veteran based on how long they've staffed. No, we instead consider someone a veteran by their understanding, commitment, and contribution to the server. For Zippywins, it was his great number of event ideas, and his dedication to getting them completed. For Smokingkills, it was his excellence in staffing TNT. For Old_Man_Oak63, it was his tireless work on the economy over two servers. For Danni122112, it was his excellent work in helping new players and resolving disputes. And for me, it was my work on the server's lore and events.

Each of us have contributed to the server in our own unique way. I would say that Jinks' contribution lies in his willingness and eagerness to help out. Jinks is very skilled in a general sense, he can do many things well. He will build structures for events, and he will make basic codes for the server. He can do many tasks with redstone, and he's good at mediating disputes. He is not the best at anything, but he is good at everything; he is flexible, malleable. He is an excellent candidate to round out our current group of Veteran Operators. And, in my humble opinion, Da Jinks is already a Veteran to the people of DoD. +1

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, basicly what Bib said, but also some more!

Jinks have now been staffing the "SMP" server in blocktopia for more than a year straight, and he even staffed it before that too! Back on JtE he was one of the staff member i looked up to the most. I used him as a role model, and with good reason. Jinks have been an amazing staff member for a very long time now, handeling everything very well and always helping out. And last but not less important, Jinks is always very friendly and mature towards everyone.

He is both ready for the rank of VetOp, and truely deserve it!
1+

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hi there Jinks as Biblius has already stated even though all the vetops positively on your last app, in the eyes of the administration they felt you were not yet ready to rise in rank. Here is my opinion on this app.

What makes veteran operator, veteran? I think that's the most important question that needs to be answered in this application and I agree with what Biblius has already stated in the matter, however I have a new point I would like to bring up and that is experience. While it is true we don't normally measure our staff by how long they have been staffing for, it is generally assumed that the longer someone has been staffing for the more experienced they are and then we associate experience with veterancy. After all that's what a veteran operator is, an experienced operator who has been staffing for some time. Of course again time isn't the deciding factor here, but we say over time an operator gains more experience at staffing. So how does this apply to Jink's application well firstly I'd like to point out that Jinks has been an operator in what is now 3 SMP's. In this time that he has spent staffing Da Jinks has gained quite a bit of experience and has proven himself to be active and helpful member of the staff team in events and in the general day to day running of the server. I think Da Jinks has also shown himself to be quite the capable person as he has completed work on a plugin that should be quite useful on the server and is also a prominent figure in staff discussions and in votings. Henceforth I believe Da Jinks would be fully capable of handling a vetop position, its a +1 from me.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
This entire application was actually interesting; we got to hear what our VetOps thinks it means to be a VetOp. You all said it really well.

Superstein and I have read all the responses, discussed how we think you've done so far and gone over your previous applications. We've realized your dedication to improve is undeniable. We agree with the feedback we've received from the other staff and decided it's time for you to continue proving yourself as a VetOp. We want to see you do well and hope your interest and productiveness continue, like it has been as an Operator. Congratulations!