CSGO PUG Server?

Should EscapeRestart get a PUG server?

• Total voters

Specter2k11

Haunting People Since 2011
Reaction score
First of all though, what's a PUG server?
PUG stands for "Pick-Up Game". It's widely used as a way to play competitively while having the tools to set up the competitive game like an actual competitive match. It's also used in ESEA matchmaking and other servers so that it could administrate itself.

Why a PUG server?
1. (For some sites) they track your status in-game. Which means you get to see your performance and such.
2. Easier competitive management for server managers and players alike.
3. It's a cool way to play competitive without being in competitive. You could practice and such without the pressure.

So, should EscapeRestart get a PUG server?

References :
https://github.com/splewis/csgo-pug-setup
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=225474

Last edited:

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1vsg54/would_really_like_a_5v5_casual_mode/
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...csgo_needs_an_unranked_5v5_competitive_match/

Just 2 threads that net a combined 2500+ upvotes wanting a unranked 5v5 competitive mode.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...ompiled_an_ip_list_of_5v5_casual_competitive/

There ARE quite a few servers for this, but it should be noted they are very often full during the day. And once you get into prime hours, forget it: your constantly refreshing if you want a game.

So yes, a 5v5 unranked competitive server would be a pretty darned good idea.

Specter2k11

Reaction score
also to avoid "OMFG Silver NOOOOOOB" circlejerk.

*EHEM*. Anyways, this is a pretty good idea to arrange 5v5 games.
If it's as full as what Da Jinks said, we'll need quite a few servers.
PUG servers in here are also full as well.
Would be super awesome if we could keep track of performance stats.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Love

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
I don't think competitive is the way to go for Escaperestart. Most of my reasoned for that can be summed up quite nicely by what Superstein said in this thread:

"If it matters, part of why Jailbreak was chosen was because it doesn't necessarily require great ping to play. We could never run something like a competitive server (and one that's good for a community) since we can't park servers all around the world."

"Normal CSGO (assuming a casual competitive kind of gamemode) would us just be providing a server for anyone to play on, it's easy enough for us to run game nights where we can set a server up like this if we'd ever want one. A custom server like jailbreak is what we found best to run a server that'd be up 24/7 and allow a community to be built."

A competitive server like PUG will never work for EscapeRestart. BT and ER have always been about having a community. That's impossible for PUG. Also, I don't think EscapeRestart has even close to the resources to have PUG servers.

Specter2k11

Reaction score
"If it matters, part of why Jailbreak was chosen was because it doesn't necessarily require great ping to play. We could never run something like a competitive server (and one that's good for a community) since we can't park servers all around the world."

"Normal CSGO (assuming a casual competitive kind of gamemode) would us just be providing a server for anyone to play on, it's easy enough for us to run game nights where we can set a server up like this if we'd ever want one. A custom server like jailbreak is what we found best to run a server that'd be up 24/7 and allow a community to be built."
Honestly, I think that the PUG servers could be an excellent idea for the CS:GO section alone since we could even use it for in-community tourneys if there are going to be. CS:GO had kinda revolved around being a competitive community, so it could be a fun way for the community to get together. I've played jailbreak and honestly I didn't enjoy it one bit really. Meanwhile PUG servers are simple enough for anyone to run and get going. There are also demand for these servers, so I don't see why not. We could even promote new players to join our community!

And as for resources, I think if we could squeeze in a jailbreak server, we could have a PUG server eventually. If we could do WarMod's plug-in, we could even host up PUG stats in the forums. I think I've seen a XenForo forum running one somewhere. So yeah, PUG could be a way for the community to play competitive without harming their "in-game ranks" and whatnot. Plus it's all in good fun instead of pure competitiveness. We could even help each other in the competitive game mode without breaking friendships.