Coweb Mine Discussion.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I came with idea of very efficient mine, when it comes to space - coweb mine, that sweeps whole area in concentric square rings starting at mineshaft.
Mineshaft itself should be simple watervator starting at y = 15 and going down - above that layer it can be as fancy as you want.
I picked y = 15, as this is highest layer, where diamonds spawn.
Player structures? Don't build here or risk consequences - preferably I would like to see it as clan rule on LoP.
Staff placed structure? Make 2 block high rectangle shaped tunnel, that will bypass it.
Cave? Build walls up to y = 15 and ceiling at y = 15 to preserve beauty and simplicity of such mine.
Lava? Flood it and mine obsidian, where corridors should be.

Here are few screenshots made in powder toy (its pixely nature is useful in voxely game - I could create 2D cross sections of it).

Floor/Ceiling is at y = 11/17 (lava floor/no diamond ceiling)

My coweb mine in The Powder Toy zoom window.

Coweb mine with minimalist 1x1 watervator shaft going from y = 17.

Same thing, y=17 and above diamonds doesn't spawn, and there is much less lava at y =12 and higher.

Coweb mine in practice:

Last edited:

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I created ore analysis for 1.10: I flied around map to create 1000x1000 block area and used MCEdit to analyze this area layer by layer.
I think 1 000 000 blocks per layer is sufficiently large sample.
Average density of Coal ore is 1% of all blocks and Diamond ore density - 0.1%.
Bedrock is found in layers 1 - 5, and lava is abundant in layers 6 - 11.
So for ease of mining coweb mine should have floor at Y = 11 (Lava generates a lot below y = 12) and ceiling at Y = 17 (diamonds don't generate at y = 17 and higher).
In later stage you can dig to y = 5 fighting lava.

• Informative
Reactions: Comp

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I calculated how coweb mine would increase over time.
It seems like 300x300 area will be sufficient for all your needs - you would get /ontime on smp like 10 - 14 days before you dig 100th ring in coweb mine, and that's without touching layers y = 11 and lower.

Coweb mine could be placed in corner (assuming map border is square) of map - this way 2 sides would be blocked off by border, and there would be one main corridor going diagonally from corner and coweb lines connecting main corridor with map border - this would be much more compatible with it being community mine.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Diamond always covers 2x2 area so, leaving 3 stone instead of 2 saves a ton of digging and guarantees you'll still see something if its there?

I just pick a direction and hope for the best :)

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Diamond always covers 2x2 area so, leaving 3 stone instead of 2 saves a ton of digging and guarantees you'll still see something if its there?

I just pick a direction and hope for the best :)
Well I prefer to have 100% chance of mining all ores (mining ores gives xp, and you can smelt iron/gold for xp) and leave 2 block thick walls.