[Confirmed] Microsoft buys Mojang for $2.5 billion

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I can't read any more of this discussion, as it's not helping my thought process of this case.

Let me just say that, I am indeed pessimistic about this buyout... But, it's way, way too early to judge if the deal's for better or for worse. I also only feel Microsoft's terrible based on the rumors and complaints I see and hear.

I don't mind what happens from here on out, but I know people will get all iffy on it, just because Microsoft is apart of it now. People will get mad at Microsoft for things Mojang probably would have done, most likely, but it's still, as I said previously, too early to tell.

As for Notch resigning from Mojang and Minecraft, he already quit from the Minecraft team, and I feel like it was a wise decision for him to back out, as he "doesn't want to be held responsible." I fully respect his decision.

In conclusion, Minecraft can go either way. It's too early to say which way it's headed. I'm pessimistic about this, but I'm still overall positive about it. Calm your shits, internet.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
I wasn't too happy about this happening, but then I realized I don't like buyouts in general. Then I started getting happy it wasn't EA or Facebook.

I'm actually getting -wait for it- OPTIMISTIC about this. I mean, they could screw it up and make me pissed off at them. But I have files of the older versions of minecraft on my computer anyway. With mods. So I'll just play those should disaster happen, and I'll be in the same place I am now.

I just don't want any more DRM or DLC. And if they ban mod authors from tinkering with Minecraft, then there goes the only reason I still enjoy single player, and I'll just play the older versions until the end of time.

But all things can be done well, too. I wouldn't mind optimizations being done to Minecraft, or new content. Or a way to disable hunger. Even a new launcher could be done well if it's true to the original, maybe even with extra features.

But who knows, this is mostly speculation. The only thing we actually know is what the title of this thread states.

Reactions: Naoh

SoulSoda

Soda for the Soul
Reaction score
one thing is for certain though...

the priority to release minecraft for windows mobile is certainly higher :p

• Agree
Reactions: Vrgin

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
And if they ban mod authors from tinkering with Minecraft, then there goes the only reason I still enjoy single player, and I'll just play the older versions until the end of time.
This is something that easily first comes to mind, however I like to think the people at Microsoft are not idiots. Microsoft does have a reputation for sometimes doing things that aren't popular but they are hoping to break even on this deal. If they can't realize that open modding is important to minecraft the entire community will dissolve fast. Like I said though, I don't think they are complete idiots so I feel pretty confident that this won't happen.

graser10mc

Reaction score
Website
namemc.com
Most likely with the NEWLY coded 1.8 that changed everything Microsoft is gonna try and add something stupid and screw up Minecraft and tick off millions of people knowing that game is broke so this was the ABSOLUTE WORST move for Microsoft. As for he name changer Microsoft is like that is not important and screw the name changer so that will anger people cause the name changer was supposed to be out shortly after 1.8's release and I don't see that happening anytime soon so Microsoft basicly screwed their company over with 1 wrong move/code screwup.

• Confusing
Reactions: Danni122112

Zeus42000

Reaction score
Most likely with the NEWLY coded 1.8 that changed everything Microsoft is gonna try and add something stupid and screw up Minecraft and tick off millions of people knowing that game is broke so this was the ABSOLUTE WORST move for Microsoft. As for he name changer Microsoft is like that is not important and screw the name changer so that will anger people cause the name changer was supposed to be out shortly after 1.8's release and I don't see that happening anytime soon so Microsoft basicly screwed their company over with 1 wrong move/code screwup.
How has Microsoft already screwed up with Minecraft if they have only had the deal for 2 days? The Mojang Team is still staying onboard for the time being, so we don't have to worry. Microsoft Developers might be what Minecraft needs to improve. I'm personally happy that Microsoft got Mojang and not a company like Disney, EA, or Nintendo. We have the guarantee that the merchandise from other brands won't be seeping in through vanilla. The Mojang Team and Microsoft Devs could be an unstoppable team if they get things right. Yes, thing could go wrong, but it's too early to say Microsoft will ruin Minecraft. Once 1.9 comes out, we can truly have an opinion. The Name Changer to me isn't necessary, and we could do without it. Maybe with Mojang, we can have a new Minecraft surpassing the original, or a new game being the spiritual successor. I'm excited to see Microsoft's plans.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think the reason a lot of people are negative about this is that Mojang was a small private company, and Microsoft is a large, publicly traded corporation.
They fear that Microsoft will ruin it simply because corporations have different philosophies than smaller companies like Mojang. I'll bet you Microsoft isn't made up of greedy idiots. They are smart business people who know how, and what, makes money. Mojang makes money. Mojang makes game with that money. Those games sell simply because Mojang. More Money. More games. You have nothing to lose. Mojang now has access to HUGE amounts of money if they need it. Be happy.

_ChoasLego_

Rabbit
Donor
Reaction score
english please

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'm an echo in the room when I say that very little will change in the long term as a result of the acquisition.
In regards to Microsoft Itself, anyone claiming that Microsoft acquiring a game company has never lead to any good results only needs to jump back ten years to understand what a complete pile of bullshit that is.

But just like any company, Microsoft Game Studios have a fair share of failed ventures and bad PR. Just as Valve, Mojang and almost all established game studios have.

Overall, the issue is complicated. Minecraft was built upon a very unique culture with small teams and open development (hence why you can name people to shout at about this update), this worked well in the past but most likely is no longer effective due to the size of the game. Arguably most of the upset is the perception that the game was community owned and - is no longer. However as we've seen from the bukkit debacle, this isn't necessarily a good thing for stability.

Long term prospects are fine, beyond that its anyone's guess but - minecraft would probably die off if it were with Mojang for that long anyway.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
WHAT?! MICROSOFT BOUGHT MINECRAFT?! DAFUG IS WRONG WITH DA- oh, Notch actually wanted this to happen. Well, nothing can go wrong with such a brilliant genius (who was legit making games at age 8) or anything he pla- WHAT?! NOTCH LEFT MOJANG?! ABANDONDED HIS BEST EVER PIECE OF WORK TO DATE?!
...And as I recall, Microsoft created MR. Clippy!
Let's take a moment to look at this rationally: Couple of decades (or so) ago, Microsoft pretty much destroyed Rareware (and dared to release an HD " "Conker's Bad Fur Day" " that was censored to NO FRI#$^#^$^ING END!), created Windows 8 that (almost) everyone, their family, and Notch himself, came close to hating, ruined a bunch of other small companies that some how failed to keep their stock in check, made a bunch of crappy M-rated FPS games...

I think Mojang would have been better off being sold to Nintendo or Sega at the very least, since those companies actually have fully-evolved human beings (and not a big jungle of lunatic monkeys rampaging around)...

R.I.P Minecraft
2010-2014
Our god has abandoned us!

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
WHAT?! MICROSOFT BOUGHT MINECRAFT?! DAFUG IS WRONG WITH DA- oh, Notch actually wanted this to happen. Well, nothing can go wrong with such a brilliant genius (who was legit making games at age 8) or anything he pla- WHAT?! NOTCH LEFT MOJANG?! ABANDONDED HIS BEST EVER PIECE OF WORK TO DATE?!
Let's take a moment to look at this rationally: Couple of decades (or so) ago, Microsoft pretty much destroyed Rareware (and dared to release an HD " "Conker's Bad Fur Day" " that was censored to NO FRI#$^#^$^ING END!), created Windows 8 that (almost) everyone, their family, and Notch himself, came close to hating, ruined a bunch of other small companies that some how failed to keep their stock in check, made a bunch of crappy M-rated FPS games...

I think Mojang would have been better off being sold to Nintendo or Sega at the very least, since those companies actually have fully-evolved human beings (and not a big jungle of lunatic monkeys rampaging around)...

R.I.P Minecraft
2010-2014
Our god has abandoned us!
Nintendo? NINTENDO? First of all. Nintendo needs to get his shit together. After the release of the Wii that printed money they expected that boat to sail off into the open ocean to the sunset. Except that it wasn't a sunset but the flash of a massive carpet bombing. Furthermore. Do you /really/ see minecraft with nintendo? (Altough I have to confess, Wii U + Minecraft with inventory on the GamePad would be badass)

Sega? I dunno about them. Don't really care either.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Because nothing changes in a decade.
Besides, Microsoft Game Studios didn't make windows 8.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Ok, now people at school won't stop going on about some rumor stating that Microsoft is shutting down soon.
Apart from things like Windows 8, Xbox one, and Mr. Clippy ,the infamous '[program].exe (not responding)', and their public embarrassments at conventions like E3, you'd think Microsoft would be nearly invincible.

Zeus42000

Reaction score
Ok, now people at school won't stop going on about some rumor stating that Microsoft is shutting down soon.
Apart from things like Windows 8, Xbox one, and Mr. Clippy ,the infamous '[program].exe (not responding)', and their public embarrassments at conventions like E3, you'd think Microsoft would be nearly invincible.
People and their rumors. Microsoft won't shut down for the foreseeable future. Windows 8 isn't all that bad on a touchscreen computer, but it sucks on a normal one.

JayJay

The Melon
Reaction score
Well I don't really have many things to say, but hopefully with microsoft buying Mojang, they may make it more supportive to skype. Many people use it so yeah. [MelonMan]