Changes to the /rules

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
To tidy up the rules we decided make a few small changes in our /rules.

First of all, rule 5 - All hiding holes have to be at least 2x2x2 or open has been completely removed. With the current maps it's not a necessary rule anymore and it was causing a lot of confusion about what is considered open. This is for now on trial, if it goes wrong the rule will come back but I don't see bad things happening without this rule.

Secondly, rule 7 and rule 9 have been merged into one rule because I've always found them quite overlapping. This has been changed to lower the amount of rules which makes them easier to read and remember.

These changes can be pretty annoying for staff members and trusteds that have learned the rule number by head in the beginning because the numbers of the rules have changed. It's of course no problem if you accidentily warn someone for the wrong rulenumber, it will probably happen and we really don't mind.
These are the new /rules after the small changes:

There may be more changes and thing may be reverted in the future if it seems to be better.

Maxyz73

Dawg
Reaction score
I like it :), though I think the rules 5, 6, 7 should be switched
5. Do not respawn, glitch through blocks or abuse other flaws.
6. Do not use excessive language or insults. Show common sense.
7. All jumps must be 2 spaces apart or less.
to:​
5. All jumps must be 2 spaces apart or less.
6. Do not respawn, glitch through blocks or abuse other flaws.
7. Do not use excessive language or insults. Show common sense.
^Like this, /warn @6 and @7 would stay as before and @rule 5 isnt often used anyways.
This would make it easier imo. ;)

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Alright, I've changed it to what Maxyz suggested to make it easier to warn/kick for the correct rule. :p

Edit: also made some rules smaller so that everything fits on 1 line. It's a lot shorter now so it's even easier to read.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I'm glad rule 7 and rule 9 where combined, as really you could use it for both.
I think the rule change is nice! -- Though some getting used to will be needed. ;)

Forseti

The Presiding One
Donor
Reaction score
Well, the reason why I asked for it to be removed was because I found that it was rarely ever necessary to be mentioned. The average new player would much rather come here and dig their way into a tiny hole or just pillar up rather than make a jump course. Every time I saw someone with a 3x0 (which was probably three times, and even one of those times it was accidental) I'd fix it myself and tell them. Anyone with the knowledge of how to make a jump course seems to also have the knowledge of how to read what I'm saying and reply, so they'd say "ok sorry." Plus, I don't know about you, but it seems odd to have considering jump courses now consist of 2x1s, 3x-1s, diagonal 2x0s, 2x1s and one block to the side, and maybe some other(s) I missed. It seems like a better idea to put into the minds of players that, although possible, 3x0s are deemed unreachable in our server.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Well, the reason why I asked for it to be removed was because I found that it was rarely ever necessary to be mentioned. The average new player would much rather come here and dig their way into a tiny hole or just pillar up rather than make a jump course. Every time I saw someone with a 3x0 (which was probably three times, and even one of those times it was accidental) I'd fix it myself and tell them. Anyone with the knowledge of how to make a jump course seems to also have the knowledge of how to read what I'm saying and reply, so they'd say "ok sorry." Plus, I don't know about you, but it seems odd to have considering jump courses now consist of 2x1s, 3x-1s, diagonal 2x0s, 2x1s and one block to the side, and maybe some other(s) I missed. It seems like a better idea to put into the minds of players that, although possible, 3x0s are deemed unreachable in our server.
Thank you for clearing it up forseti! I had also talked to vatumok about this and I agree that its a good idea.

RaneofPane

Zombie
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say I really like most of these rules changes. That said, I'd just like to share my opinion on the removal of the 2x2x2 rule.

I really don't think that removing the 2x2x2 rule is such a good idea, as after playing a few rounds yesterday I simply feel that it allows for too many cheap spots. As an example, I'll use the map dinnertime. This is a map which I'd say leans towards the pro zombie side, but after looking around for less than a minute, I found a spot where I was able to win a round as the final human for five minutes. It wasn't that the spot was creative, and it wasn't that it was difficult to get to, it was simply because the only way to find the spot was to look directly at it to see my name. A similar thing happened right after that round on the map derailed. Had the 2x2x2 rule still been in effect, I wouldn't have been able to survive those rounds in either of those spots as in order to make them 2x2x2 I would have had to have made them much more obvious.

I don't quite understand the arguement that this is good because it makes it easier for less experienced players to survive. Getting better at the game so it gradually gets easier to survive has always been one of the things about this game that I really liked. Making it easier to survive just takes out some of the satisfaction of winning a round.

As for the confusion over what defines an open hole, I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that it's never really been properly defined anyway. If that could happen, then a lot of the trouble caused by that would disappear.

Maxyz73

Dawg
Reaction score
I agree with Rane;
What about changing the text "No holes smaller than 2x2x2 are allowed" that seemed so vague, to
"Closed hiding holes have to be at least the size of 2x2x2" ?
I think that would be a simple solution.

• Agree
Reactions: RaneofPane