Blocktopia - Declined Bhyldir's Moderator Application

Bhyldir

Reaction score
Thanks to Pink for mentioning the new format (silly me).

What is your in-game name? (Please also give any alt accounts, and if you're applying for our TTT server, your Steam ID.)

Bhyldir (Alt: Aproch)

What timezone do you live in?
UTC +03:00

How many hours have you played on the server for?
37 Days

How many hours can you spend helping out the server per week?

Since I'm in a couple of build teams I wont be able to on 20 hours a week but most likely somewhere around 5-6.

What prior staffing experience do you have? (It is not mandatory and it is not a problem if you do not have any.)

Although I haven't been Moderator on any large servers I do have a vast knowledge on most plugins so I don't think I'll have any trouble fitting in the team.

What do you think the role entails?

I think that one of the most important roles that the Moderator role entails is to keep a friendly atmosphere and to stop people from annoying other players. One major thing I think that the moderator role is responsible of even though the Moderator rank is a staff rank I think they should be able to give suggestions and criticize their builds and maybe even teach a few tips and tricks along the way this could be telling someone to add depth or more detail, less detail etc...
Why do you want to be a staff member?

Ever since I've gotten Minecraft which was about 8-9 years ago I remmember playing on Blocktopia/Escape Restart and I've matured alot since throughout thanks to all the people I met through the server, right now I feel like it's a difficult time for Create as there aren't that many staff members and I don't want to see my favourite server die out so I want to help out!
What qualities can you bring to the current staff team, that set you apart from other applicants?
I think that since I've been building for a very long time if people need help regarding building I could easilyhelp them. Since I don't have much staffing experience I will always try to improvemyself regarding moderation and take suggestions on what I should improve.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with?

I'd first message another staff member about it, depending on what the situation is, if it's an argument I'd listen to both sides of the story and decide accordingly.

Is there anything else we should know or you want to tell us?

Read through my app a couple of times but excuse me if I've missed any typos

Got any builds you'd like to show off?
;)

Last edited:

TheArchiteck

Spook!
Donor
Reaction score
Website
blackcon.wikidot.com
Whilst I don't know you very well personally, I can point out a few serious problems with your application:

First of all, you have avoided writing down your alt account. I happen to know you have an alt. You should not be withholding that type of information on a Mod application.

Next, you have avoided stating your age, despite the fact that it is clearly displayed on your account that you are 19 years old.

Your time zone, UTC+0300, puts you at an inconvenient location with regards to the vast majority of players. Whilst it is 8am for you, it's midnight for the Americas, where most of our playerbase resides. Your ontime on Create is also under 10h/mo, which isn't the greatest, (though I must admit it's better than some current staff members!)

You have no staff reference. You can often get a reference just by asking for one from a staff member. The fact that you have not even bothered to take the time to get one is a little worrisome.

You have no listed prior experience. Staffing requires a decent knowledge of commands, plugins, and the like. One of our biggest jobs is making sure that the server is in running order.

You're a great guy, but I just don't think this position is cut out for you. In my opinion, the most important feature of being a staff member is good communication and connection with the playerbase. In this position you would be asked to help other people with their problems, and in order to effectively do this you need to know what sort of assistance they need from you. You need to have a feel for the people you're going to be working with. Peoples' skills are scarce enough as it is in the current staff ranks. Staffing, in the Moderation sense, is not just about stopping angry players from flinging insults at each other; it's about actually making the server feel like a safe, honest place.

As a result, I do not believe this to be a worthy Mod application.

However,
The other vibe I'm getting from this application is that builds aren't being judged well enough, and I must agree. I have instead motioned that Architect rank have more say in the ranking up of other players. It seems like you're better outfitted for that sort of thing anyways, without all the other Mod requirements.

Edit:
Now that you've cleared up the confusion about your prior command and plugin experience, and put a bit more effort into the application, I've decided to be a little more lenient on my grade.

+0.5

Regardless, I still think you're better suited as a build guy though, which is what Architect rank is for. Mod starts getting away from the build aspect and more towards judgement, rules, and server development. I'd personally rather see Architect become more of a staffy position, or at least a sort of blend between a staff and a builder rank.

Last edited:

Bhyldir

Reaction score
"First of all, you have avoided writing down your alt account. I happen to know you have an alt. You should not be withholding that type of information on a Mod application."
I don't really use my alt account so I didn't feel like including it, didn't really think it'd be that big of a deal.

"Next, you have avoided stating your age, despite the fact that it is clearly displayed on your account that you are 19 years old."
I'm 19

"Your time zone, UTC+0300, puts you at an inconvenient location with regards to the vast majority of players. Whilst it is 8am for you, it's midnight for the Americas, where most of our playerbase resides. Your ontime on Create is also under 10h/mo, which isn't the greatest, (though I must admit it's better than some current staff members!)"
I feel like this is irrelevant to my application, it's like saying 'don't apply your timezone is bad'

"You have no listed prior experience. Staffing requires a decent knowledge of commands, plugins, and the like. One of our biggest jobs is making sure that the server is in running order."
I'd say I'm pretty well versed in most plugins these days, I don't need to be Mod on a server to know about plugins. I don't think it's too hard to /promote, demote, ban, kick people ;)

jackamel

Op Purple :D
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for applying Bhy, you're a loyal player to not just create but our servers. You know create well, and your well equipped with the ability to advise players on how to build. [sup][sub]Ur still not GrandArch[/sub][/sup] Most staffing abilities are generally learnt on the job, when to intervene or act in a situation. Create can certainly get a bit OTT at times, with certain individuals, but you learn how to handle them.

Character wise, you're certainly mature enough, its usually the general progression of most architects to go on to become staff. I've personally not observed you for staffing matters, but I think there's no harm in trying you out. We definitely had worse applicants in the past, and we need more Moderators on create, in every time zone, to cover all our players.

It may have helped if your app said, Hex advised u to apply, but non the less....

+1 For a trial.

Last edited:

Pink

Reaction score
Thank you for applying Bhy!
First of all since I haven’t really seen you online since you made this application I find it hard to judge your way of getting along with the other players. I do have some doubts about how you would handle certain situations or how you will communicate with other staff members.

Your time zone does not matter for me at all.
But your ontime does a bit.

When I made my application I had no previous staff experience aswell, so I find that everybody who deserves it should have a chance to learn to staff a server. And since you are an architect I’m sure you have decent knowledge for building commands, etc. Obviously staff will help you learn the commands that come along with the rank.

There is no doubt you are a very skilled builder, you could indeed easily help people with their builds.
That’s why I do kinda agree with the idea that TheArch gave about giving Architects more saying in ranking players. As my biggest concern is you way of communicating, which I find really important.

Also just a side note but since it was mentioned in discord by a staff member and I don’t know if Hex, or anyone else told you yet? But this is written in the wrong format..
What is your in-game name? (Please also give any alt accounts, and if you're applying for our TTT server, your Steam ID.)

What prior staffing experience do you have? (It is not mandatory and it is not a problem if you do not have any.)

What qualities can you bring to the current staff team, that set you apart from other applicants?

I wish you the best of luck
I’m going with a 0

• Thank You
Reactions: Bhyldir

Bhyldir

Reaction score
Thank you for applying Bhy!
First of all since I haven’t really seen you online since you made this application I find it hard to judge your way of getting along with the other players. I do have some doubts about how you would handle certain situations or how you will communicate with other staff members.

Your time zone does not matter for me at all.
But your ontime does a bit.

When I made my application I had no previous staff experience aswell, so I find that everybody who deserves it should have a chance to learn to staff a server. And since you are an architect I’m sure you have decent knowledge for building commands, etc. Obviously staff will help you learn the commands that come along with the rank.

There is no doubt you are a very skilled builder, you could indeed easily help people with their builds.
That’s why I do kinda agree with the idea that TheArch gave about giving Architects more saying in ranking players. As my biggest concern is you way of communicating, which I find really important.

Also just a side note but since it was mentioned in discord by a staff member and I don’t know if Hex, or anyone else told you yet? But this is written in the wrong format..

I wish you the best of luck
I’m going with a 0
Updated, thanks!

• Winner
Reactions: Pink

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Righto, I am going to go ahead and put you on trial status for a week or so. Sorry for the long reply, been quite busy IRL and my staff were talking about it for a while a long with a few things coming up.

After that, we will determine the full promotion.

Accepted - Trial

• Thank You
Reactions: Bhyldir