Community Becoming a gaming community

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Hello everyone. (I'm not resigning you mugs)

Ever since the overhaul 1.5 year ago the idea was to become a more gaming orientated community rather than focus on Minecraft. There hasn't really been a strong opportunity to branch out simply because it's hard to get new players for games we can't host. A huge thanks goes to Mulbery for informing me about this stuff, we can use our discord server as an actually viable way to become relevant again and not just in Minecraft.

So the idea is that we focus our community around our discord server while the forums have a supportive function to discuss larger topics. We make use of discord server lists for people to find us. Connecting to a discord server is a very small commitment, much smaller than joining our game servers, and people will join to take a look. If we then have an interesting setup with channels, ranks, bots and discord games we will bring in people that are just here to chill, talk about games and play games together. Discord has an enormous amount of possibilities.

Now, this will require an overhaul of our discord server, almost everything will have to be thrown around. Channels and ranks will be have to be added and removed. It will require a lot of thinking and planning to do such thing, that's why I want to make a post now so that the community can help out. This is the direction I want the community to move in to stay relevant as player count aren't the best on our servers. If our discord server would hit off it would also mean a good boost to our game server players.

Here's a nice representation of what I want made with epic paint skills:

I'd thought I post this because I want to keep everyone updated and not lose hope "because we're dying". This will also be good news for people that are not very interested in minecraft. Feel free to ask questions or post suggestions. If there's anything I forgot to say let me know.

With kind regards,
Arjen "Vat~"

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
(I'm not resigning you mugs)
aww

This is a very good idea, that if done well, will attract a lot of people to the community. Therefore, my question to you guys is how do we overhaul our Discord server and everything to ensure it does make it more of a hub and attracts people to Discord and the community, and make sure it's not just an ineffective, time-wasting Discord play-around? Basically, what do you guys want changing in this to make sure this isn't a waste of time?

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
aww

This is a very good idea, that if done well, will attract a lot of people to the community. Therefore, my question to you guys is how do we overhaul our Discord server and everything to ensure it does make it more of a hub and attracts people to Discord and the community, and make sure it's not just an ineffective, time-wasting Discord play-around? Basically, what do you guys want changing in this to make sure this isn't a waste of time?
Mulbery told me a lot about what popular discord servers usually have, later I will make a post about that. I think trying to move forward is the best but it's not a guaranteed success, even if it's just a "waste of time" we improve our discord server in the process.

rosekill

Reaction score
I mean if you want to completely alienate the portion of our community that actually uses teamspeak go ahead with this plan, but in the wise wise words of Andy "You've made a huge mistake".

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
So are the "other games" like clans and such?
It'll just be a discord server where people can hang out, we can have ranks & channels for different games and people can easily talk and play with each other. It's really more a community feel than just us only hosting game server.
I mean if you want to completely alienate the portion of our community that actually uses teamspeak go ahead with this plan, but in the wise wise words of Andy "You've made a huge mistake".
Discord is newer, more popular, is way easier to join & use, is much better for text chatting and has way more posibilities with discord bots. We won't shut down the teamspeak server unless we have a reason to, if you prefer using that then it's fine. For now the plans are that no current server will be directly affected and just overhaul discord so that it can function as the main hub of the community.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Need a list of additional potential games before I can look at this and know it's got a solid chance of actually coming to fruition. Otherwise it seems like hopes and dreams waiting to come crashing down and Minecraft remains the default like so many other attempts.
Give or take a share of expletives and a bit of paraphrasing

EDIT: And by additional games I don't mean just things like darkrp or playing with some chat bot, no more of that.

I mean full-fledged indie/AAA games that have sizable communities that we could actually draw in. Thinking things like rocket league, overwatch, borderlands, tf2, whatever. I need examples.

Also the discord over teamspeak emphasis reminds me of the democratic primaries for some odd reason so if you guys could stop that that would be absolutely fantastic

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe you should bring back that Welcome channel and toss relevant information regarding the community, rules, servers, forum, etc. -- No one else would be able to post on it except for the CAs. It could possibly be the main invite channel that the new people would join, where you post the link alongside the information used to attract new people to Discord on Reddit or wherever. Also, a new invite link would help figure out if people are joining or not.

There are websites that post Discord channels - maybe use those to your advantage as well.

Last edited:

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I don't think Teamspeak will draw anyone new, but I do wonder what will happen to the Teamspeak server?
I don't think that adding a renewed emphasis on Discord will have any negative effects on TS. Personally speaking, I do not like Discords voice chat or organization. If I'm going to use a voice chat for a game, TS is still my go-to. That being said, I can't speak for everyone.

We will definitely still keep and support Teamspeak and the part of the community that frequents it. Teamspeak offers better voice quality and much more robust channel organization.

Hell, if there's something similar we can do for TS as we're doing with Discord, why not both?

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I don't think that adding a renewed emphasis on Discord will have any negative effects on TS. Personally speaking, I do not like Discords voice chat or organization. If I'm going to use a voice chat for a game, TS is still my go-to. That being said, I can't speak for everyone.

We will definitely still keep and support Teamspeak and the part of the community that frequents it. Teamspeak offers better voice quality and much more robust channel organization.

Hell, if there's something similar we can do for TS as we're doing with Discord, why not both?
Ya my question wasn't fear for advertising our Teamspeak server or anything, I just noticed the OP didn't mention anything about removing it or not, and removing it would make me :cry:

Reactions: Ogarci