Anime: Discuss!

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
Legitimate question for Okatu's/weeaboos/whatever you want to be referred to:

Would you say it's reasonable to not like "anime" because every single anime is overtly popular in the entire demographic?
Do you mean to not like anime because the entire genre is over-hyped? I say that you can't really denounce a whole demographic with your opinion from just a couple animes or no animes you have watched. It would just be the same as to say "all Muslims are terrorists" without studying their own religion and culture to provide a legitimate opinion. You can dislike certain shows or certain genres, because of your own tastes, but just disliking a certain genre in anime does not constitute the right to denounce the entertainment as a whole.
Though looking back on my own example that you need to study the religion and culture of a group of people to truly get a legitimate opinion on a subject; it becomes impossible to do so without wading through the horrible, average, and long lasting analysis of the group as a whole. It still does not give a great grasp of what "anime" is until you become engrossed and have watched every type of anime to become proficient in what makes a good anime. It shouldn't be praised or rammed down peoples throats as some who say that "anime is the best thing ever and if you don't like you can go die" since that leads down the road of becoming a 'weeaboo' which means to put a culture above your own, thinking that everything that comes from it is mana bestowed upon you by gods.

tl;dr
You can't just not watch anime because it is popular, since some shows that are popular are popular for a reason because it is good. You can dislike certain shows because it did not grab your interest while watching, but should not constitute the degrading of an entire demographic just because one section did not create spark or connections for you.

I will just take a guess that this question popped up because Dio4344 popped in saying he didn't like it?

Reactions: Duffie

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Legitimate question for Okatu's/weeaboos/whatever you want to be referred to:

Would you say it's reasonable to not like "anime" because every single anime is overtly popular in the entire demographic?
That's the silly hipster mindset.
They believe that because it's so popular that people only think it's good because it's popular and not because it's actually good.

But in actuality it got popular BECAUSE it was good.

The attitude annoys me but it's their loss if they miss out on it.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
Just finished "Lucky Star" which is a very cute show and the addition of Konata really made the show shine. You could connect to some faults of Konata and ways that she adapts to what she loves and school life. Problems that i could see from the show was that the subtitles were very fast where sometimes i could barely keep up with what they were saying since they would either talk too fast or the subs would cut out(probably just the problem with the person who made the subs [Crunchyroll]), and also the show jumps around too much where you could go through an entire day in a couple minutes.
The show is overall a very nice one that focuses mostly on the girls talking, and i mean lots of girl talk, but also throws into the talk some information about the Japanese culture and different faults of each character that compliments each other to create many funny moments. Another section of the anime that i loved personally was the Lucky Channel that played at the end of the anime.

Going to watch "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" next which is a Horror, Magical Girl anime.

Reactions: Duffie

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BibliusMy word, what good tastes have been shown here. I'm a big fan of the classics of anime, but I like other things as well. ;)

I have seen over 3,000 episodes of anime, and I have only ever given the rating of 10 once. It went to a series known as Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Let me tell you, this series had everything: epic battles, strategy, politics that were actually interesting, terrorists, revolutions, friendship, love, tearjerkers, you name it! This series is the most in-depth, beautifully made anime I've ever seen. It's also the only anime to ever make me cry more than once.

I won't deny that it's a rather niche anime; you have to have a particular taste in warfare and strategy. That being said, I'd still recommend it for it's excellent story and well-developed characters.

Kattzen

Kattzen!
Reaction score
Yes, watching Fairy Tail currently. I've made it to episode 49 and thus, I am out of dubs. (Lord knows I'm not watching the Animax dub. shiver shiver)

Time to see if I am okay with subs. Either that or I'll just wait until Funimation dubs the rest.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the classics of anime,
My goodness, so many images in there of anime that I considered watching when I was younger. Also a bunch that I did see/own. ;) I actually had the chance to see Wings of Honneamise on tv once, but I had to stay up late for it and fell asleep. :( I've always wanted to see it since, and now you remind of it. I must be able to find it somewhere.

Reactions: Undefined User 7

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
What's the one where the girls shoot lasers out of their mouths?
Only "girls shooting lasers out of their mouths" i know of are the girls from "Nichijou" which i watched from this AMV.
German Metal \o/

Finished "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" and it was an excellent anime that has a very dark approach to Magical Girls. The show left me on the edge of my seat begging for every episode to find out the true meaning of being a magical girl and was a breath of fresh air from the calm, Slice of Life series i have been watching lately. It was the best short series i have watched (short being 12 episodes)

Superchops

Reaction score
OK, Welcome To The NHK turned out to be a fucking masterwork. Loved it.
Clannad, on the other hand, not so much. I've been on a mission to watch the whole thing after I got recommended it by a friend, and it just seems to be little more than a generic moe anime. Does it get better at all?

I've heard a lot of hype about Sword Art Online. I'm going to have to check that shit out.

Vatowski

Reaction score
Clannad, on the other hand, not so much. I've been on a mission to watch the whole thing after I got recommended it by a friend, and it just seems to be little more than a generic moe anime. Does it get better at all?

I've heard a lot of hype about Sword Art Online. I'm going to have to check that shit out.
check da shit out now mayn

Pokemon365

Reaction score

I think that Clannad is much more than a generic moe anime. Season 2 of it is phenomenal in my opinion

D

DarkHender

Was starting to watch Durarara!! but i dropped it cause it was too boring and I simply did not get it. Starting to watch the Blue Exorcist
I tried watching Duraara,. I think I stopped after the first episode.

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Was starting to watch Durarara!! but i dropped it cause it was too boring and I simply did not get it. Starting to watch the Blue Exorcist
Durarara is boring in the first few episodes. But after that, everything becomes a complicated messed up shit and you just go 'wtf' every episode. Trust me, I was pretty bent on dropping the anime because the first few episodes were too boring. However I read the reviews on Durarara!! and it convinced me to continue. I was kinda pleasantly surprised. It basically shows you the two sides of every character, and they are not what they seem to be.

And apparently the main character who looks and acts like an innocent little school boy is someone so twisted he can set someone on fire for hurting his friends >.> (in the light novel)

Superchops

Reaction score

I think that Clannad is much more than a generic moe anime. Season 2 of it is phenomenal in my opinion
I'll keep watching it then. Right now I can't connect to any of the characters, nor are they particularly believable, at least to me.
Is Season 2 Clannad: After Story, btw?

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net

I'll keep watching it then. Right now I can't connect to any of the characters, nor are they particularly believable, at least to me.
Is Season 2 Clannad: After Story, btw?
Correct. The first season introduces the characters, while the second season zooms into the main characters lives and fleshes it out. Best Drama Romance i have ever watched.