An issue regarding the housing facilities in the main city.

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to be the party pooper here, but the main city is suffering from a housing crisis currently that is spiralling out of control. The reason for this is that people are taking up vast quantities of space with houses that do not aesthetically fit the design and architecture of Primus and/or are impractical in size. In reality, a house would only be used for storage, smelting and crafting. I am suggesting that The leaders of Primus take out either of these two options:

1. enforce people to follow the building designs as presented in the thread "so, what's the plan?"
[/IMG] if a building does not fit these regulations, then they can be subject to demolition or fines. Likewise, we wouldn't want people who have only just joined the server to build the cathedral-esque mansion design, so possibly regulate the sizes of the buildings subject to the seniority of the member to the group. In this case, the most senior members (i.e. the council) would be able to build the largest house designs.

2. Tax people based upon land usage. This shall control people from taking up too much space with a building they hardly use, or with features that could be made into a public commodity (eg co-operative farmland, where everyone can aid the harvesting, planting etc, and are allowed to take a fair share if they have helped grow it). For those who insist that they cannot make money in the current market, you obviously have not heard of voting for blocktopia in minestatus. Not only does this aid the community, but it also provides you with an income to support your giant iron phallic shaped house.

These two ideas can also be combined, ie building a housing estate on the free land left and selling/taxing eople for the building use. Miss several payments and you'll have to find new accommodation.

So, whaddya think?

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Yes! I've noticed this too. This is my fault for not being clear/too lazy with the theme, but it's a tough choice as I don't want it to be some requirement that people have to understand some complex system in order to just have fun and build a house. The problem I think is the biggest is getting new players to quickly understand in-game, I'd rather just let them do what they like and hope they have the sense to understand the theme, I think most join the server to play, not read.

That said, a simple rule list for each city dictated by the mayor seems most effective so that's what we're getting. I'll work with roob to get some plots together for new members.

Tax is out, since currently we can't store the money safely. We'll revisit this if it changes but it seems like it'll be a lot of work unless we have some plugin to help us out (I wouldn't personally want this anyway).

So onto the changes;
Congratulations to:
Roobarb Pie, Peter and Zachster who are now official High Council Members.

You've until the weekend to tidy stuff up, after which I'll be coming around with my axe.

The following house rules will apply within the main town.
Council members have full reign to act on the rules as they please. If a fellow family member spots a property breaking the rules, go into our town hall and place a sign with a note the coordinates on the town hall board.
When a council member identifies a property breaking any of the rules, they'll slap a sign on it with the Rule number broken and also the date. You have about 3 days from that date to remedy the action (or less - depending on the severity!).

New Members Town House Rules:
1. You may only build in approved plots within town (West Side).
2. Buildings must fit a tudor theme - Log frame with lesser material to fill.
3. Ground floor area must be less than 150 blocks sq.
4. The main roof is to be made of stair/step blocks.
4. All farms must be built in your house basement.
5. Your house must be furnished (include a table, chairs, bookcases, bed etc).
6. Make sure your house has your username around the front door.
7. Keep it reserved and practical, 3 floors maximum.

Plots will generally be 250 sq (16 x 15).

Existing Members Town House Rules:
You are required to meet all but one of the above rules.

My house doesn't meet 2 or more of the new member rules, what do?
You have two choices, if you fail to pick one, you leave the choice to the family leader!
1. Fix your house so it does fit the New Member House Rules.
2. Craft an axe and apply it to your house.

Are you mad!? I can't move my house onto a plot on the West Side!
It can stay, if this is the only rule being broken.

Bawww! My house has a ground floor bigger than 100 sq blocks!
It can stay, if this is the ONLY rule being broken.

So for existing builds, they can stay as long as they are only breaking one rule?
Yes.

I'll put together a wiki guide to build your own small tudor house for new players. I was going to do a 'building school' but I don't think we've the spare space.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where my sandstone mansion fits in with all this... As in if it'll be razed or not, even though it's fairly out of the way, beyond the city wall.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
The town house rules only apply within the town walls, outside of that it's common sense.

I may step in if it's some abhorrent cobble box, but you've just reminded me of some other clauses I'd need for new players. Will update the wiki.

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I am now going around the town searching for houses breaking more than one building regulation, an example of the sign used if the building breaks the max allowed rules, sorry to use your house as an example molegrave:

Will post an appeal format for people wishing to have their building remain, remember, you have 2 days from a sign appearing to ammend your building.