American Censorship Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ciphered

I heard from an unofficial source that Barack Obama said he'll veto SOPA if it gets passed by Congress.
Untwist your panties, gentlemen.
That is, if this gets proved.

Reactions: DaniNomsYou and IQD

Fatalis

Reaction score
Now, I'm no legal expert or political mastermind, but:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/06.html#1

Anyway, heres the letter I wrote:

I have one simple thing to say:

This new bill is unconstitutional. It infringed upon the very framework of which our country was founded, the Constitution of the United States of America.

Amendment One states that we have the right to free speech, expression and press. This law infringes upon all of these rights.

If you choose to violate this right of ours, we may as well change our pledge as well. "Land of the Free" should be changed to "Land of the Censored" should you pass this bill.

It is unconstitutional, and infringes upon our rights as citizens of the United States of America.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Guys >_<

Use your eyes and read this >_<
COUGH.
I'm learning about the Government in History currently.
If the Senate and the House of Reps. approve the Bill, it will be sent to the President.
The President can either Veto or Sign the Bill into Law.
If he Veto's it, it returns to the Congress to be re-voted on. If it gets a majority of the votes, (270? Can't remember) It can still pass.
President isn't god.

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
COUGH.
If the Senate and the House of Reps. approve the Bill, it will be sent to the President.
If he Veto's it, it returns to the Congress to be re-voted on. If it gets a majority of the votes, (270? Can't remember) It can still pass.
President isn't god.
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to rally the 2/3 majority vote required to override a veto? The president may not be god, but a veto can still be extremely lethal to most bills.

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
So... there is a bill to set technology about 20 years or so?

DURR SRE IM ALL FR IT

Yeah, anyone with sense will not allow this to pass. If this bill DOES pass... Then I guess that means there is no sense involved.

Jon24

Reaction score
Website
www.filler.com
Sigh. This is all just a big over-reaction. Corporations already have the power to sue for copyright infringement, it's nothing new. Also, just because the government has the power to block websites, it does not mean they will actually do it. The government is not evil, so they won't block (insert major social networking website here) just because they can.

Also, remember that this is for a good cause: stopping piracy. I'd mention how piracy is bad and the scale of piracy and all that stuff, but surely I don't need to. We can all agree that piracy is bad.

C

Ciphered

COUGH.
President isn't god.
COUGH.
I already went through that unit a year or two ago, and a bill/law can be found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and can be shot down (for example, Obamacare has been ruled as unconstitutional, and so will SOPA) regardless of the revoting and vetoes.
Edit:
@Jon24 Piracy is illegally profiting off of content that isn't yours. A bill could be massively more specific when being made. Oh, and this bill would allow the gov't to tackle copyright infringement issues, not just the corporation.

Fatalis

Reaction score
COUGH.
I already went through that unit a year or two ago, and a bill/law can be found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and can be shot down (for example, Obamacare has been ruled as unconstitutional, and so will SOPA) regardless of the revoting and vetoes.
Or we can REVOLT!!!

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
COUGH.
Edit:
@Jon24 Piracy is illegally profiting off of content that isn't yours. A bill could be massively more specific when being made. Oh, and this bill would allow the gov't to tackle copyright infringement issues, not just the corporation.
I Shpose that's true.
I'm just saying the the Veto of the President won't solve everything hands down.
If it's unconstitutional, it won't work X3.

Also my answer to @Pick Yer Poison
I have no idea how hard it is, I just assume if it passes the first time, there's a chance it'll happen again after a veto :3

Status
Not open for further replies.