American Censorship Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

san00b

No.1 Admin & Founder
Reaction score
You may have noticed the black bar both on the forums, and main page, blocking out our logo.

Today, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is being voted upon in the House of Representatives. Feel free to watch this informative video:

How this effects Blocktopia:

Anytime you include a YouTube video in a post where you are not the owner, we (Blocktopia) become liable for copyright infringment. Any picture you post, we're liable for copyright infringement if you did not make it. We would be liable to be taken down by the request of the copyright holder, then sued into oblivion by them. This isn't just us, either. It applies to every single website you visit. Everyone is at risk to be taken down and forced into court.

If you are within the US and of voting age, please urge your representatives to block this bill. If you aren't of voting age, or aren't within the US (this effects any US websites you visit), feel free to write anyways. All the information you mean can be found at:

http://americancensorship.org/

Specter2k11

Haunting People Since 2011
Reaction score
So... in other words, the US legal system is trying to take down the internet?
Or am i wrong here?
Wait... if we were to post pics of minecraft then we'll get sued.
NICE.

madsk001

Reaction score
This is the ONLY to time when spamming messages to the senate is ok.
My home PC will finish sending at about 10pm, after the senate has recieved on average 1000 extra messages against this act.
PS: i did not use a spam mod to this, youll be suprised how far a few toothpicks, weights and helpful positioning over F5 and the mouse can be.

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
This is complete you know what, my Government is forgetting the 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Public Gathering. Dang it Congress stop forcing us to not use the internet and imagine people who are sick from school (ex. me) how are we going to get the work? just walk up to school and ask for it? No, thats not today's world. Today's World is where Ipods, iphones, ipads, facebook, youtube, google, apple, etc. all exist you cant just tell us that we cant use the internet, we use it for school projects, talking with friends, contacting family members, again etc.

AZGamer

Reaction score
Silly Congress, the internets are for kids!

@ZombiePineapple They would not block any school websites. I find it hard to believe that congress would want America to shoot it'self in the foot that quickly...

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
I don't believe it will pass. Moreover I don't want to believe it will pass. Would this means everyone's avatar would be copyright infringement?

wateronflamz

Reaction score
Im with Kap there is no way it can get passed the uproar if it got passed would be big.
Still this is utter bullshit i can't even think of what would happen if this got passed D:

madsk001

Reaction score
Right, the PC was don efaster than I excpected. After a toothpick broke. and some weights. 5 messages sent. PS: I live in the UK, so this isnt really too much my problem, but seeing as im from the UK, poking my noses in other governments is what we do.

Reactions: silvadude12

san00b

No.1 Admin & Founder
Reaction score
There is a very real risk of this passing. It already approved by the Senate as the PROTECT IP Act. It then went to the House, where it was altered to become SOPA. If voted and approved by the House, it will go back to the Senate for another vote.

Reactions: Jayfeather

TheFurion101

Nostalgic
Reaction score
Yay! Not only am I NOT in the US or at a voting age, but I live in a country that, doesn't even have a law for piracy. REMOTE PLACE ON THE EARTH FTW!

C

Ciphered

Copyright infringement is only neccessary when someone else profits off of your own work.
We here at Blocktopia do not make money off of any posted materials.
We are a non-profit community. We receive donations to survive.
The entire law is bullshit because of that. If you're not profiting, who gives a fuck. But if you are, let's say, selling Gillete shavers as your own and claiming that you copyrighted Gillete when in fact you didn't, then you need to be apprehended.
I think this is an absurd and dumbass ruse disguised in order for another over-expanding bureau to be made and expanded just so whoever leads it can be making a huge profit off of taxpayer's money.

Besides, most corporate supporters of this bill are record companies. Those people are ruthless dicks.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
The Senate and House need to put down the whiskey and think about what they are doing this is absurd and I hope this doesnt pass since America's economy is low enough already...

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
The Senate and House need to put down the whiskey and think about what they are doing this is absurd and I hope this doesnt pass since America's economy is low enough already...
I'm sure it would boost the economy, Less downloading and more buying.
It's a big profit for companies because noone can exploit it or the company can sue them.

C

Ciphered

I'm sure it would boost the economy, Less downloading and more buying.
It's a big profit for companies because noone can exploit it or the company can sue them.
Now even I'm becoming concerned that the companies are taking over, and that's a sign if I'm thinking it.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Bluh. I'm-not-even-going-to-bother-with-whatever-is-being-restated.

But-if-it-does-pass-I'm-moving. Seriously.

Also:-this-is-the-first-time-of-hearing-this-and-if-this-is-being-discussed-today-and-the-opposition-hasn't-been-set-up-early-rather-than-the-day-it's-being-decided. ((Is-it? I-don't-really-know-so-don't-quote-me-on-that.)) This-means-there-is-a-possible-danger-of-it-happening.

Still-I'm-sure-of:
It won't pass. There's no way in hell.
How-would-this-effect-our-economy-exactly? The-only-thing-it-would-be-doing-is-having-our-money-go-into-the-coorporate-businesses-that-we're-already-upset-at. :b

Status
Not open for further replies.