[Accepted] Theodorre/Huehuehue's member o' staff application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
In-game Username:
Huehuehue (most know me as Theodorre, but I have moved on to using the account 'Huehuehue'.)

Staff References (not required): Wink

Prior Blocktopia/EscRestart Staffing Experience:
Trusted on [Blocktopia] Zombie Survival (January - February 2012)
Operator on [Blocktopia] Zombie Survival (February 2012 - May 2013)
A brief period as an Operator on AoD (May 2013), and a brief period as an Operator on Infection, however considering the amount of players in Infection, I didn't think it was worth putting here

How would you describe the responsibilities and obligations of a moderator:
Something that I learned early on in my days of staffing on the old ZS server was that being an operator/moderator is not very clear-cut. There is no standard 'day' as a moderator as you are required to serve to many different requests and tackle many different tasks. Due to this, the position as moderator includes many responsibilities and obligations. However, for simplicity's sake, I shall include the following:

1. Responsibility
This may seem obvious, but as Voltaire said, "common sense is not so common". As a moderator, I realise that I'll be the one people will look to for guidance and assistance. Initiative is required as I won't always have higher-ups available to answer my questions or to provide clarification on a specific issue I face.
Responsibility + common sense = around 80% of a staff member's job.

2. Patience
Being a staff member also means that I'll be dealing with people. And some people are extremely frustrating. However, I've had experience in this regard, and this has taught me to stay calm and try to reason with the person, or letting them explain themselves, before jumping to conclusions. A staff member who is quick to accuse someone of something, or who has a temper, is not going to be a successful.

3. Humility
This is possibly the most underrated quality a staff member can have. Being humble means that they don't think of themselves as superior to others, and that they're willing to admit mistakes if a mistake has been made. No one likes a cocky, self-centred person, and a staff member who always assumes they're correct and refuses to review his decisions is not going to be seen as approachable by the players...which brings me to my next point.

4. Approachable
This is very important. Staff members are there to serve the players. If a player has an issue, the staff member is the person they should see. HOWEVER, a player is not going to want to approach a moderator who always looks busy, or is unfriendly, or is apathetic in their work. They'll only feel comfortable approaching a moderator who genuinely cares about the server he or she staffs and the players that inhabit it.

Assume there are more applicants, for what reason would we choose you over them:
The length of time I spent staffing a server (which at the height of its popularity often had 30 players active at once) meant that I had numerous opportunities to experience different scenarios for myself (situations which some of the other applicants may not have experienced). I've also gained experience dealing with many (and I mean MANY) different types of people, which would carry over into my staffing (moderating?) of KR. I try to make myself as approachable as I can (generally, I'm very active in the chat, which I've always believed increases your approachability) and I'm always happy to welcome a new person into a server. *THAT BEING SAID*, I do understand the limits of helping out, and I would never want to 'backseat staff'. Even as a staff member, understanding limits is helpful, as it prevents a staff member from taking over an issue that is already being handled by another moderator, which makes the entire situation a lot cleaner.

How would you deal with a situation you have no experience with:
It would depend on the situation. If I determined the situation required it, I would contact a server director immediately. If the situation was not major, I would be honest with the person, tell them I wasn't 100% sure about whatever the issue was, but that I'd look into it.

How would you deal with another staff member abusing their powers:
I'd get screenshots/logs of the incident and send it to the KR director at that point in time, with a brief message explaining the situation and what led up to it.

What do you consider your greatest weakness:
Self-doubt. I have improved on this, however there is always an inkling in the back of my mind that I'm handling a situation badly, or that I should be doing something differently. I try to remind myself that we all make mistakes and what's important about them is that we learn, but it's not very easy when the self-doubt is occurring at that very moment.

Anything else you would like tell us about yourself:
I'm a 16 year old guy, who lives in New Zealand, I'm an extrovert, yadda yadda *insert all the personal info you already know here*.

-Theodorre, or my new IGN 'Huehuehue' :p

Last edited:

JtTorso

Reaction score
Hello Theo, we've reviewed your application, it is solid and well thought out and your answers are realistic to the staffing experience. I have also worked alongside you in the past and can account for your capabilities, with all that being said our verdicts has been to accept your application. Welcome to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.