A Transit System

Which type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gettinthere

Reaction score
So, some more hotspots of Gaia are appearing. Now that more places appeared, it takes time to get to places, so why not have a type of transportation? I talked it over with the Council via PMs and now we're wanting public opinion.

Firstly, we need to decide what type of transit system we want. Secondly, we need to decide whether they are above ground or underground. Thirdly, we need to agree on designs for the system. And lastly, we make the system around Gaia from hotspot to hotspot!
  • Boats
  • Carts
  • Plain old walkin'
With the three obvious systems, think about which one you prefer. Yes, you the public of Gaia. While some are beneficial, we need to see the consequences that arises for making them.
But consequences always have benefits to them!

• Materials
  • Mobs getting onto the tracks
  • Grief/stolen tracks
  • Heavy traffic
  • Lag

• A nice view
  • Safest travel method (underground)
  • Shortest travel time to stations

• Mobs in the river
  • Large amount of space for a river system
  • Crashing into the walls
  • Lag

• A nice view
  • Little materials needed
  • Little construction

• Mobs attacking you
  • A tiresome to walk everywhere
  • Longer travel time

• Little maintenance
  • Less construction materials than a river system
  • A nice view
  • Little space needed for construction
  • Expandable for creating new paths

When we finally decide what system we want here in Gaia, we should show each other designs favored for that system. (eg: a iron tunnel for an underground railway, a log/cobble path for walking)

Feel free to donate materials! We're always in need for materials no matter the transit system...

lolpierandom

Reaction score
Cart problems:
Materials
  • Mobs getting onto the tracks
  • Grief/stolen tracks
  • Heavy traffic
  • Lag
Materials are easy to get. We have a surplus of iron, it isn't lacking in Gaia.
Mobs aren't a problem with a half-decently built track.
We have family protection, tracks can't get broken.
Traffic isn't too hard to circumvent, especially with two seperate tracks. Unless there's absurd amounts, I can deal with it.
As for lag, that's a general problem with any form of transportation.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Have you seen Aeres's cart system? The only problem is materials and the carts themselves. Fully automated. Push button, get put in cart automatically, get put at exit automatically. No mobs on tracks, no lag, no heavy traffic, no stolen tracks. :3 Though, don't use an underground system! There are tons of strip miners now, and there's no doubt they'd mine into the tunnels.

Reactions: Wink

Numberplay

Reaction score
Design will be the biggest problem Since me and LolPie both want to use our own :p If minecart is decided, We'll probably have to vote for which design is the best too. Not that it is a real problem in Shallowvine (LolPie can't do anything against me there).

lolpierandom

Reaction score
Design will be the biggest problem Since me and LolPie both want to use our own :p If minecart is decided, We'll probably have to vote for which design is the best too. Not that it is a real problem in Shallowvine (LolPie can't do anything against me there).
If a transit gets approved, I'd meet with the other Council members and put a minimum requirement on stations, and I would supervise the actual tracks themselves.

LolPie irritates me, by the way. Hard as hell to read and whatnot. My name is all lowercase for a reason.

Also, this thread really has no meaning until the other council members acknowledge its existance.

Numberplay

Reaction score
Sorry.

Here is my design for minecart station, again if it's approved :

Every material is easy to find and I would also use a code system for different destinations (Using different blocks). Gold = Capital, Iron = Villages, Wood = Others.

No need for sticky pistons :D

I can also easily make modifications to allow double ways travels at the same time.

BrickWolf

The Concrete Dog
Reaction score
Have you seen Aeres's cart system? The only problem is materials and the carts themselves. Fully automated. Push button, get put in cart automatically, get put at exit automatically. No mobs on tracks, no lag, no heavy traffic, no stolen tracks. :3 Though, don't use an underground system! There are tons of strip miners now, and there's no doubt they'd mine into the tunnels.
Dagon wouldn't mind if we knew how to do that. D:

gettinthere

Reaction score
If a transit gets approved, I'd meet with the other Council members and put a minimum requirement on stations, and I would supervise the actual tracks themselves.

LolPie irritates me, by the way. Hard as hell to read and whatnot. My name is all lowercase for a reason.

Also, this thread really has no meaning until the other council members acknowledge its existance.
I'm pretty sure the Council acknowledges this thread's existence because I asked. They haven't replied or aren't stepping in until things get ugly.

If they don't feel free to contact an OP to lock this at your disposal. After all, you are the one who really wants to lead this project.

Sorry.

Every material is easy to find and I would also use a code system for different destinations (Using different blocks). Gold = Capital, Iron = Villages, Wood = Others.

I can also easily make modifications to allow double ways travels at the same time.
Do you plan for your system to be underground? Can your system handle a maximum of 10 people onboard going to a destination? Can the redstone be easily modified for new tracks?

Remember, I prefer that it is the public consensus who decides which design is chosen. So don't get your hopes high. The Council should also account public opinion before a massive override of options. Else the public would be mad if they are constantly ignored for opinion, with the exception of construction efforts. The Council could override me, but I'll sit tight and see what you guys have to say.

lolpierandom

Reaction score
Sorry.

I have a design that uses a whopping 1 sticky piston a station. Not much.

On top of that, it's fully automatic and virtually idiot-proof.

The main reason I dislike CNB's design is because it has no minecart storage- then again, minecart stacking glitches up in SMP. Looking into a design I think is promising.

Also:

I'm pretty sure the Council acknowledges this thread's existence because I asked. They haven't replied or aren't stepping in until things get ugly.
Many of us are on relative leaves of absence- I've haven't been on since Thanksgiving, and the same can be said about most of the other heads. In general, we're not being active recently. I hope we all pick up our activities.

Damn you Skyrim.

lolpierandom

Reaction score
@lolpierandom @Numberplay There is a way to automatically have carts moved from chest to track and back again, as well as locking the user inside the cart until they reach destination.

Oh, and @BrickWolf , maybe if you reconsider this whole "enemy" thing ;)
What is this trickery? Magic?

But seriously, what? Minecart Mania? Craftbook?

I MUST LEARN OF THIS.

Numberplay

Reaction score
Well i tried Aeres's Minecart and I found only 1 problem with it. You get sent into the wall and get hit once you leave. Appart from that, the "Get in automatically" is awesome.

Also, 1 easy solution for underground systems. Cover it all up with a manmade block like wood plank. If your track get stolen or there's a hole somewhere, you can tell an op because you have proof it's a grief.

EonLatias

Reaction score
Alright alright. Minecart stations are nice. I like them as much automated as possible, and relatively simple to use (because even though you might not, there's almost always someone who misunderstands and messes up.)

And Defiant... Gragh, tell. Now. How to make people not get out... Or I could just go over to your lands and try it...

gettinthere

Reaction score
Alright alright. I'll investigate this minecart plugin. I remember nato_patato0 was talking about this plugin but the minecart's function was different.

His function was to take reeds and store it in a chest for delivery.

Here, we are driving people. I'd be glad to walk into Aeres territory.

Pizzamoves

Reaction score
Daww, I like the river idea. It would be an automated underground self propelling transporter. It sort of combines the underground railway and the river. It would also be easier to make, since all you would need is water, not ingots. Also, I want to scream I'M ON A BOAT while i'm on it. :3

Numberplay

Reaction score
I see I forgot to give my real point of view on the subject (which transit to take).

I would go for both Minecart and Walk. I don't like the boat Idea because Gaia doesn't have much water on their land and doing underground systems would be harder than doing an underground minecart system.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I prefer the Minecart system, especially since we have the minecart plugins.

I'm the only one who loves me a bit of a walk?
I love walking, too... At least, in game, but some people aren't that great at defending themselves, and monsters could be quite the problem.

I do believe we're going to have plain roads, anyways. There's always the opportunity to run away from Pie's massive redstone corruption and walk on the "safe" road.

And...

Tell us.

Or we shall send our plants to kill you.

They'll....

Send more oxygen into your air?
Or, kill all their zombies. :p

lolpierandom

Reaction score
I prefer the Minecart system, especially since we have the minecart plugins.

I love walking, too... At least, in game, but some people aren't that great at defending themselves, and monsters could be quite the problem.

I do believe we're going to have plain roads, anyways. There's always the opportunity to run away from Pie's massive redstone corruption and walk on the "safe" road.

And...

Or, kill all their zombies. :p
I didn't know Zombies breathed CO2.

I shall make a redstone machine that converts all the oxygen into CO2! No more zombies to pester us!