A short piece of writing - feedback wanted please!

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Just a little bit of writing I did - please give me feedback! :D Working on my creative writing for college ;)
--
We were by the window when it happened. My bedroom window. The one with the view of the fields of grass spreading all the way down the hill, the sun beating down above, the old oak tree next to the fences where the birds could be heard singing in the morning. We were both there, both stood gaping outside from my bedroom. Staring for god knows how long.
We'd both heard the noise. My Dad had come running in, his face as red as a tomato, panting, his eyes wide as he charged into my room to join me at my window. Now we both stood amazed. My bedroom floor shook and I nearly lost my balance. It was as if a tidal wave of air had just hit us. I gulped.
Eventually, I managed to drag my eyes away. I looked up at my Dad. His chest was rising and falling heavily. His eyes were fixed on the outside. No, it was deeper than that. As if he was looking at something way behind it all, way behind the fabric of reality.
Eventually, he blinked (to my relief) and slowly turned towards me. He started doing his odd movement with his wrist - turning his hand round as if screwing it back onto his arm. As a child I always hated it when he did that; scared his hand would fall off to reveal a metallic bone of wire where his wrist once was.
Slowly, his lips parted, the skin stuck together slowly being forced away as a tiny little voice peered out.
"Everything's going to be okay."
I knew he wasn't telling that to me. He was facing me but looking straight through me.
No, he was telling that to himself.
He repeated it. His voice was timid, slowly creeping out quietly but forced, as if even that couldn't bare to be in this hell anymore.
His blonde hair was now blending in with the fire outside, the heat creating a drip of sweat that ran down his cheek, down his chin and dropped onto my bedroom floor.
His dark eyes faded and shut tight as he turned back to the window.
Outside, a nuclear bomb had gone off. They had warned us. The people on the radio, on the T.V. and on the posters. They had warned, as they waved their fingers at us with wide eyes and tight lips.
"The war is coming," they had said. "Prepare yourselves for when the bombs fall."
They had told us to make shelters, underground caverns to seek refuge in for when this war begun. But it was too late. My Dad never was quick on his feet, but nobody could have built a shelter in time for this. For, our small village was devastated with the first bomb for that dreadful war. The first bomb came rushing down onto our neighbor town's field a good ten miles away from my bedroom window as some man pressed a button to ignite it, laughing.
"They won't see this coming," he'd say.
And we didn't. Just three days after the warnings, after the media had exploded into "How to survive nuclear fallout", "How deep to make your shelter" and "Effects of radiation" and here we were, me and my Dad, looking out of my bedroom window at this mushroom of fire and rage. Melting in the heat, twitching at the fear. The radiation would come raining down onto us soon. I squeezed my hands shut. In my mind's eye I saw myself in a few years, but it wasn't me. It was some boy with three heads, three hands and a set of lungs like a worn out motor engine. That was one of the images on the "Effects of radiation" program.
Then I cried.
My Dad didn't even turn to me when he said, as calm as a Saturday morning, "Look at that, son. That's the end of the world."
--

Last edited:

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think it feels too direct and reads more like a diary entry than a piece of creative writing. Let the reader infer some details via indirect descriptions and actions. The narrative voice seems far too mentally stable after the events of the story - an unreliable narrator or even just omitting crucial details and 'remembering' them later would work wonders.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think it feels too direct and reads more like a diary entry than a piece of creative writing. Let the reader infer some details via indirect descriptions and actions. The narrative voice seems far too mentally stable after the events of the story - an unreliable narrator or even just omitting crucial details and 'remembering' them later would work wonders.
Yeah, this is sort of meant to be a diary entry kind of thing. The narrator is now a man recalling and describing the events of when he was a boy, but I understand what you mean. Thanks! :D

Also I sort of wanted the narrator to focus on his Dad more so than outside. I wanted to make it clear that the book would be based around the Dad, and that the narrator was weak and when danger came he went to his Dad, blocking out everything else and just watching his Dad. I wanted to contrast the outside to the inside of his cozy bedroom, making it so the narrator was trying to forget about the outside and focus on the inside as a sort of way to block out what was happening. I think his Dad was something to focus on.
But yeah I do understand what you mean. Thank you very much. :D

Last edited:

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Overall, I enjoyed the suspense, but the phrasing felt a bit choppy.
And I also noticed a small discrepancy in the father's actions:
Eventually, he blinked (to my relief) and slowly turned towards me.
My Dad didn't even turn to me when he said, as calm as a Saturday morning,
With no mention of him turning to look back out the window.

It seems minor, but it's little things like that that can easily derail the train of smoothness.

But like I said, it was a pretty nice piece overall.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Overall, I enjoyed the suspense, but the phrasing felt a bit choppy.
And I also noticed a small discrepancy in the father's actions:

With no mention of him turning to look back out the window.

It seems minor, but it's little things like that that can easily derail the train of smoothness.

But like I said, it was a pretty nice piece overall.
Ah yes, thank you! I didn't notice this :D Thank you very much :)

• Love
Reactions: Timdood3

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
You have too many sentences. Most of the periods can be replaced. Probably with commas or semicolons. That will help with the flow. That way it doesn't feel jerky and unsure.

You have too many sentences. Most of the periods can be replaced, probably with commas or semicolons. That will help with the flow; hopefully, it won't feel as jerky and unsure.

• Thank You
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Quick glance, pacing and spacing*. U:

*ok it depends how you write it I suppose but if this was to be more of a journal entry think of how the character would write it in particular. Account for the event, age of character, stress, or their ability to express themself.