A new requirement to get cookies.

Sploorky

Reaction score
There is a problem I'm noticing, that I think we should remedy. While this problem could only be a problem in my eyes, I think it's bad for gameplay, and I believe the server would be better off adding a fix for that problem.

Taken directly from the LSMP server: You need at least 10 blocks(could be changed) of air surrounding you to get cookies.

Example A: Secrets.
What I see people do in secrets: They go to it, run around it in, maybe make something. Then they notice the lava flooding the secret, so they make a me sized house and live in it. 90% of the old secrets were removed because people were camping in it, but with these, it's not very different.

Example B: Mood changes.
These are supposed to be hard, or at least more difficult, right? They really aren't. You just run at the lava, test blocks, find the right one or ones, and then...make a me sized hole. Meanwhile, the people who prevail through the mood and actually make a nice house get the exact same amount of cookies as the person living in their small house. This will make mood changes more challenging, with an actual feeling of accomplishment if you get cookies in the round.

Example C: Just a regular round.
This will be the shortest example, because this is really just my personal opinion. I don't think you should get cookies if you just make a 1x1x2 house and sit in it the entire round.

Tell me what you think.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
So could this be connected to the "The bigger your house is, the more cookies you get" idea that I've seen before? I've seen another server do this, but I never understood how they could figure out how big our houses were. To be honest, I also hate the secrets for the camping aspect, I only know of a few of them and try my best not to go into them :D.
And back to the Mood Changes. To be honest, I haven't seen any other moods besides Calm (Furious only with Water rounds) whenever I'm playing. Mood changes only seem to happen when a VetOp is on (Sploorky usually does mood changes on the fly). And it's fun with mood changes.
And judging from the previous suggestions for this server, this probably wouldn't be implemented.

Sploorky

Reaction score
So could this be connected to the "The bigger your house is, the more cookies you get" idea that I've seen before?
A bit. I don't like that idea personally, but I do like the idea of a minimum amount of air blocks needed for cookies. Nothing big, just enough to prevent camping in small little boxes.

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
It is way too easy to earn cookies nowadays, and I think this would be a very nice way to change that. You build a teeny house, which only you can fit in, nothing else, and you earn cookies. Sploork's thinking that the people with the nice, medium-sized houses that they actually took effort to create should earn cookies, as they spent their time to build the house and decorate it, unlike the people who built the teeny tiny houses. I totally agree with Sploork that the people who take 5 seconds to build a house shouldn't get cookies, as they haven't taken any effort at all to survive.

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
I don't think having the air requirement will fix the issue. Anyone could just build a cube and dig holes around to get more space, and somehow I believe that it would discourage the owner to decorate more and it would make some players paranoid that someone would actually trap them in a small cube, or someone would place flowers and decorate alot making them not earn cookies, even applies to those who usually allows other people to build in their house. Anyway, if this would be implemented I think 10 would be enough, even though I think is not really much of a help and 20 would be too high, and I think building a 20 block air-filled houses wouldn't even take more than 5 minutes. Also, staying in a 1x1x2 "house" would be very boring (which most of us would agree on.) except if you go AFK.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Sephhh said:
I believe that it would discourage the owner to decorate more and it would make some players paranoid that someone would actually trap them in a small cube, or someone would place flowers and decorate alot making them not earn cookies, even applies to those who usually allows other people to build in their house.
And THAT is the biggest problem. I want to avoid squashing creativity or making people worry they won't get cookies because their house is too small. Also, I don't want people to worry about making their house or base bigger, IF it actually is a house or base, not just a small box to afk in or one you quickly made because the mood changed. As for the amount of air blocks you would need...I think it should be 8-15.

Night_Slayer_

Reaction score
This idea would prevent people decorating in there houses..Such as a TV,bed,books,fireplace-to me I like the idea but others might not.Another big problem I am seeing is,for example..like me and Bernerbear13 usually build really tall houses; most people will just afk in our house,which is not against the rules-but against the whole point of this topic.Or,maps that don't flood fully near the top will attract pillarers.
IT could be something like "In order to get cookies your hide must be 5x5x5 or larger"
if its a 5x5x5 it would be 3x3x3 inside..it would have to be bigger

Sploorky

Reaction score
This idea would prevent people decorating in there houses..Such as a TV,bed,books,fireplace-to me I like the idea but others might not.
^^^ That would need to be avoided. Here's a little sketch I made, on how this would work.

(x is blocks, o is player)

,,x
x0x
x0x
..x

^ No Cookies

I don't want to prevent creativity at all. I don't want to make gaining cookies a hard ordeal, forcing you to work all round so you can get a reward. I simply want to prevent living in me-sized homes.

copycat16

the lava god follower
Reaction score
i agree we should stop players from just digging a hole and surviving. For some time i been thinking of multiple ways of changing how you get cookies. The best idea i have thought about is making players build, is setting a minimum on the blocks they need to place to earn cookies. This method allows more houses to be build, more decoration, campers will want to build there own house. But i also see problems with this. First, it will make certain players spam blocks to pass the amount of the blocks they need. Second, it may encourage campers to build more in peoples houses. And finally, it may confuse new players to this method. All this may be fixed by adding certain messages to inform and adding a few new commands to deal with anyone who may try to bypass this minimum requirement unfairly. There are other things that may be needed, even if this is possible to add. I have thought about others, but the others are just not a right fit in anyway.