That time that roob thought it was a brilliant idea to map the world

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey y'all, let me tell you a story. A story of passion, of endurance, and not knowing when to stop.

About two months ago I had the terrible idea to map the world by hand, using 1:1 scale maps. This was a younger, more naive me. I had assumed the world map was in fact 4kmx4km, and I set off my journey full of youth and vitality, full of piss and vinegar.

About ten rows in I realised that something was wrong. I had mapped a portion of the world that seemed a wee bit... small. That, and I was using maps at a far greater quantity than I had anticipated. To my horror, I realised that the world map was in fact 4 times larger than I originally thought.

People often talk about the sunken cost fallacy, and how, once you've started something, you can't stop for fear of losing said investment. As a result, I have now reached the halfway point of my project. Behold: THE WORLD MAP (WIP)

Eventually, when this is complete, I'll deco the space it's held in and open it up for civvies. Until then, stay tuned for more info!