so i guess ER is finally dead?

SnapFlash

Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Been sitting on this thread for 5-something minutes just thinking.

I've been privy to a lot of the discussions surrounding ER's stagnation. Unlike a lot of people, I've always attempted to act out a path that satisfies the qualms of everyone - while I'm not a super techie guy these days, this does show in my attitude; I try to stay relatively passive and provide suggestions when and where I can.

I think at the end of the day, it's important to realize that many people who were once on this platform didn't have ER grow out of them. They grew out of ER. They became adults, they carried heavier burdens, their daily schedules were more filled than they had previously been as teenagers.

And overall, from a pragmatic perspective, I think it is better to design a platform around the people, because the people will always be what contributes to it. That being said, all of this is my point-of-view on the subject, and I'm in no shape/way/form meant to lead this place. I'm just a wistful old man at heart these days, and I offer advice to anyone willing to listen.

What they do with that advice, whether they choose to ignore it or apply it - none of that is my business, frankly. I'll still love them anyways.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cstar

OgroovysamO

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Been sitting on this thread for 5-something minutes just thinking.

I've been privy to a lot of the discussions surrounding ER's stagnation. Unlike a lot of people, I've always attempted to act out a path that satisfies the qualms of everyone - while I'm not a super techie guy these days, this does show in my attitude; I try to stay relatively passive and provide suggestions when and where I can.

I think at the end of the day, it's important to realize that many people who were once on this platform didn't have ER grow out of them. They grew out of ER. They became adults, they carried heavier burdens, their daily schedules were more filled than they had previously been as teenagers.

And overall, from a pragmatic perspective, I think it is better to design a platform around the people, because the people will always be what contributes to it. That being said, all of this is my point-of-view on the subject, and I'm in no shape/way/form meant to lead this place. I'm just a wistful old man at heart these days, and I offer advice to anyone willing to listen.

What they do with that advice, whether they choose to ignore it or apply it - none of that is my business, frankly. I'll still love them anyways.
This. Also the name change was still a stupid idea. Blocktopia was an iconic name and should've been kept, even with the expansion out of Minecraft.

• Agree
Reactions: IQD and Love

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
It didn't really die, but if we were nation, then we had fertility collapse back in 2012 year
There was free classic + smallish central list of servers = lots of people cramming into most popular servers.
Effectively this is "retirement home" now, as more people leave, than new people come there.

Also I see that mostly antique people visited this thread
In the end we became event community like 8 years ago

Last edited:

lev

Reaction score
This is a really hurtful mindset to have and really undervalues all of the friendships and fun you've had that have led you up to getting to the point where you make this post. The community'll die when everyone from it are long gone, and that really isn't for a long while now.

There're plenty of people who met here over ten years ago (wow!) who've gone on to still be friends, hang out, and have enjoyable experiences together. You can lament servers or what have you being less active, people being a lot more reticent to post on the forums or otherwise interact in the big mediums of it all, but there's definitely a little heart of people still left here. They might not all play on the servers, or even think of the names Blocktopia or EscapeRestart when they all hang out in Discord, or TeamSpeak, but there's still a feeling of community there.

We all had fun, and most of us are still here. Think back and smile on it all, and maybe give people who you haven't seen in years a little head nod and a "how are things?" because they've got all these memories too.

Don't be so glum, buddy!

I'm drinking a Glenfiddich 12 right now, and I really do apologise for bumping this thread and alting a ban I got six years ago now. I teach English at a High School so I really don't have much free time for playing video games, but I do get that sort of nostalgic itch when a few glasses deep to peer past the curtain and see how you guys are holding up after so long. I check in on this place once or twice a year now, and rarely sober.

Apologies for the blogpost, I know there's still some lingering hate there, I just really do detest this mentality. There're some life-long friendships here that you're very willfully ignoring.

If you want to ban this account too, go right ahead.

God bless.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
sigh

1. rev up the defibs for like the 13th time this community has """died"""
2. all the everything happens on discord, we don't really need the forums for much anymore

can't believe I remember at least 75% of you from oct 2010

Reactions: digi and Hex

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Community Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
sigh

1. rev up the defibs for like the 13th time this community has """died"""
2. all the everything happens on discord, we don't really need the forums for much anymore

can't believe I remember at least 75% of you from oct 2010
It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp and honestly, I feel like these posts are made for a specific reason and it's definitely not to try and "revive" the community again.

The simple fact is that
A.) A lot of us have moved away from MC
B.) Forums are a dying thing in general for any community
C.) We aren't dead, we simply have changed where things happen and we all communicate.

We all used to hop on Minecraft not only to play Minecraft but talk to each other, now we have places like Discord where we can talk all the time. It comes to no surprise to me or many others that ER has shifted a bit considering we have always been more about the community than the game itself.

How’ve you all been?
I've been doing great! Just been raising my kiddo, making tech content, and living life as best as it can be. Hope you are doing well Jt!

Reactions: JtTorso

JtTorso

Reaction score
I've been doing great! Just been raising my kiddo, making tech content, and living life as best as it can be. Hope you are doing well Jt!
Good to hear, I’ve been well.

It’s interesting coming back to this place after some time, I’m glad it’s still here if at all for nostalgias sake.

• ❤
Reactions: Hex