RoF Data Loss Incident 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
This is not a drill.

I've woken up this morning to find RoF in an incredibly broken state - it may as well be deleted. The lobby world's gone, maps are filled with lava that's saved, and all the shops are malfunctioning. Judging by the severity, I doubt that is the last of it. If I had the time to fit in a joke about it being Dess, I would have, but I've now got a lot of fixing to do. I'm having to write this post in one hell of a rush.

It's going to take too long to restore from the backups we may have, so I've decided to go ahead with the beta release of Deathrun. This hasn't been in development for a long amount of time, so I don't even have a feature list for you. There may be bugs, it may not work at all (I genuinely have no idea, this is the actual, up-to-date development server), but I feel it's right we get something to the community as soon as possible to make up for it.

RoF should be back up fairly soon, in a day's time if we're lucky. I know we've recently had a data loss incident, so this will come as a shock, but it's the best we're going to be able to do. If it doesn't though, RoF will most likely have to be closed and all staff transferred to Deathrun efforts. I'm not sure yet, we'll just have to see. Whatever happens, I'll keep you updated.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
-SirC

Access via the RoF sign/portals in the main lobby!

EDIT: Things are already looking grim. Also, please don't send me bug reports, I can't deal with them right now.
(No one's seeing through this one at all!)

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score

(For real though, I hope you have some back-up copy of my sword, because I've died too many times in between duplications, and it is very seriously gone for me until some RoF staff gives me a new duplicate.
Maybe I should invest in actual armor or health extensions...)

[edit]: I might add that this second data incident has spilled over and deleted half of the MV worlds on Create, which incidentally deleted what is probably the one existing copy of my Hero Siege map submission for AoD though.
I mean, it's fine, the map was trying too hard to be a hipster anyway, but we're thinking that if you lose control of your server again and something actually valuable DOES get destroyed, well, your career may... suffer...

Last edited:
  • Confusing
Reactions: snowma

Catcocomics

Reaction score
April Fools prank gone wrong?
everything except for the sword. That bit was me being a little too reckless and Sirc still not having whatever makes the LMS swords persist through death, unless he has implemented that and I just don't know it or how to use it.
Either way, the actual data incident is demanding enough without me being stupid.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
everything except for the sword. That bit was me being a little too reckless and Sirc still not having whatever makes the LMS swords persist through death, unless he has implemented that and I just don't know it or how to use it.
Either way, the actual data incident is demanding enough without me being stupid.
you realise this was april fools right

I'm going to have to get the persistence thing done quickly because at this point you're just losing it left right and centre. I don't want my staff to have to keep giving you stuff over and over again as you need to demand it.

What a way to end an April Fools post!

• Winner
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
you realise this was april fools right

I'm going to have to get the persistence thing done quickly because at this point you're just losing it left right and centre. I don't want my staff to have to keep giving you stuff over and over again as you need to demand it.

What a way to end an April Fools post!
What if her post was counter prank?
;^)

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
What if his post was counter prank?
;^)
No, it's quite for real.
Without OP armor to stop 1v12s guaranteeing my demise for what ever shitty reason the 1.9 update has to give (attack cooldowns and nerfed natural regen, probably), I'm going to keep dying with my sword, so until the persistence is really put in, It'll be a massive inconvenience to keep me around on RoF.
That said, it's really not too urgent because since the vanilla SMP event seems to be taking most of our Minecraft playerbase anyway (for the time being), well, I'm not one to solo RoF for very long.

P.S.
no pls.

• Optimistic

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
No, it's quite for real.
Without OP armor to stop 1v12s guaranteeing my demise for what ever shitty reason the 1.9 update has to give (attack cooldowns and nerfed natural regen, probably), I'm going to keep dying with my sword, so until the persistence is really put in, It'll be a massive inconvenience to keep me around on RoF.
That said, it's really not too urgent because since the vanilla SMP event seems to be taking most of our Minecraft playerbase anyway (for the time being), well, I'm not one to solo RoF for very long.

P.S.

no pls.
tl;dr you can't pvp in 1.13 so you're gonna blame it on the game

• Winner

Catcocomics

Reaction score
tl;dr you can't pvp in 1.13 so you're gonna blame it on the game
*Rituals of Fire isn't in 1.13, it's in 1.12.2. I don't remember if you've played RoF much, I think you might've at some point, but we generally don't put any of our main Minecraft servers on snapshot releases anyway, and I'm rather disappointed that you seem to not be aware of that.
*RoF isn't the pvp server; that would be AoD, which is completely irrelevant in this entire thread.
-1.9 changed the balance of mobs vs players so that instead of common overworld monsters being mostly an annoyance that you can usually just swat aside, they actually pose a very real threat (unless of course you go and get god-tier diamond armor, but then pretty much nothing can scratch you under those conditions).
-RoF mob spawns tend to be a quite bit higher than you would normally find in straight vanilla Minecraft, mostly due to how everything outside the map for several hundred blocks is nothing but void, which eliminates many of the "honeypot" cave systems that would usually cause the standard surface mob spawning rates.
In other words, if you go caving in RoF, you're going to find groups of monsters twice the size of vanilla monster groups, and at twice or triple the frequency.

If you want to talk straight pvp, then by all means, neither of us has ever really dominated the other, and I doubt that will ever change anytime soon; you win some fights, I win some fights, and that's the natural way of life. It's also natural that we sometimes end up on the same team, and one or both of us may carry said team at any given time.
Do not pretend that you are superior or that I am inferior, unless you wish to take a real beating to your AoD kdr.

If you want to talk straight 1.13, well, that isn't fully out yet, so I can only assume you're either a time traveler, or ignorantly smack-talking me for what ever personal reasons you may or may not have.

• Haha
Reactions: Notme and Rune

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
*Rituals of Fire isn't in 1.13, it's in 1.12.2. I don't remember if you've played RoF much, I think you might've at some point, but we generally don't put any of our main Minecraft servers on snapshot releases anyway, and I'm rather disappointed that you seem to not be aware of that.
*RoF isn't the pvp server; that would be AoD, which is completely irrelevant in this entire thread.
-1.9 changed the balance of mobs vs players so that instead of common overworld monsters being mostly an annoyance that you can usually just swat aside, they actually pose a very real threat (unless of course you go and get god-tier diamond armor, but then pretty much nothing can scratch you under those conditions).
-RoF mob spawns tend to be a quite bit higher than you would normally find in straight vanilla Minecraft, mostly due to how everything outside the map for several hundred blocks is nothing but void, which eliminates many of the "honeypot" cave systems that would usually cause the standard surface mob spawning rates.
In other words, if you go caving in RoF, you're going to find groups of monsters twice the size of vanilla monster groups, and at twice or triple the frequency.

If you want to talk straight pvp, then by all means, neither of us has ever really dominated the other, and I doubt that will ever change anytime soon; you win some fights, I win some fights, and that's the natural way of life. It's also natural that we sometimes end up on the same team, and one or both of us may carry said team at any given time.
Do not pretend that you are superior or that I am inferior, unless you wish to take a real beating to your AoD kdr.

If you want to talk straight 1.13, well, that isn't fully out yet, so I can only assume you're either a time traveler, or ignorantly smack-talking me for what ever personal reasons you may or may not have.

• Agree

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score

Well done for taking the bait.

As funny as it was to read the trolling, pedanticism and quite worryingly threats (which haven't appeared just once in this thread...), and as much as it is helping keep the forums alive, I've had a chat and I think we've agreed it's not the greatest idea. Let's put this April Fools joke to rest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.