Other So long, and thanks for all the fish

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Dear people of EscapeRestart aka Blocktopia aka TheOne’s,

on April 17th 2010 a German gamer dude stumbled upon a new game and subsequently a new community with awesome people that were doing amazing things with this game by offering customized servers with customized gamemodes.

Half a year later, after rising through the ranks from being a Zombie OP, to a VetOp, to a community wide Controller, to a Head Controller for the back then new TNT server, the German dude was tasked with running the backend and infrastructure for all the servers in the community - and has so every since October 2010.

And here I am today, 5 years later, 5 years older, 5 years…wiser?

I had an amazing time with this community, from the absolute high points to the absolute drama filled low points, with an amount of stories that could fill a book. I saw the rise of and fall of servers, the rise and fall of staff members, the DDOS attacks, the endless fun IRC hours, the weird, the funny, the absurd. But most of all I saw an ever-changing group of dedicated and great people that live for this community and make it the wonderful place it has been and will continue to be.

Alas, today on my 5th year anniversary, it is time for me to hang up my (ass-)hat.

I would be lying if I said that the 5 years with this community haven’t influenced me. Quite the contrary: They were a huge part of my life, always a place I could go for a laugh and support, no matter how big the personal changes I had in my private life (Protip: Getting married and setting up new minecraft servers at the same time can be…an interesting experience). I tried to make a list of all the servers I helped setting up, I set up myself (Treasurehunt! Vampires! Solitude!), but I lost count. All I know is: It was usually fun, no matter the stress.

I also won’t make a list of the countless awesome things that happened next to the servers, all the insiders that most people never heard about, all the craziness we had to endure sometimes. But I do want to thank a few people, without whom I would not have stuck around for so long:

KingSam - You were the one that pushed me towards applying for a staff position, seeing something in me and trusting me. You f**** are the main reason I wasted 5 years of my life on this s*** - thank you for that, you’re simply the best (and sexiest).

san00b - Thank you for trusting me in running our virtual and dedicated servers, for trusting me to bring technical expertise to the table, and to give me the huge amount of freedom to more or less do stuff as I please. Without your constant calmness, the madness of the first years would have driven me away many times

LISTINGS09 - You still remain one of the greatest mysteries of the community. You sparkled my imagination in those early months by letting me help you develop the new versions of all the classic servers we had. The times we tested the new Zombie software, the new lava software, and all the other things, often behind closed doors, were exciting and led me to always stick around to see what new things you suddenly come up with. Thank you for all and everything you have done for this place over the years, whilst being the most humble about it.

Roobarb Pie - I will never forget Stargategeddon and countless SMP fun encounters. And your yearlong financial support of the community. For both: Thank you!

Horrible - You know why, you bastard of a Mongolian mountain goat!

Pick Yer Poison - Thank you for the one time paranoia experience on IRC, it scarred me for life

Malcovent - Partner in crime, most terrible British person I have the pleasure of knowing. We accomplished some great things through a constant attitude of „Fuck everything in this world“ - thank you for for sharing my sense of humor and ideas, and trusting my gut (after many times of me having to say „I told you so“)

And all the many others that I had sometimes more or sometimes less contact with over the years. Even if I was usually annoyed at you for being silly and unreliable, I loved every single one of you. Except some. Some were and are still total dicks. Go fuck yourself and work on your social skills. And see my signature.

So I am left to say:

Thanks for the last 5 years, live long and prosper,
GmK

PS: If some hoped, I would use my good-bye post to finally lift the secret of my username - tough luck, ain’t gonna happen just yet.

Warlockwolfe

Reaction score
Thanks for all the things you did to make the servers great! Not sure if i've actually seen you before but from reading that i just want to say, THANKS!!

• Thank You
Reactions: GmK
Y

YouWould

Thanks for Cake! (and not the wonderful band) You've done quite a bit to help the server - I really hope I can still see you around, you seemed like a really nice guy.

• Thank You

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
You and Malc have inadvertently been part of my life since 2011. So I'm not going to lie when I say that you leaving makes me feel downhearted. But I do wish you all the best and hope to see you around the community every now and then. Take care GmK <3

Also-
Except some. Some were and are still total dicks. Go fuck yourself and work on your social skills. And see my signature.

• Thank You

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Duuude.
I've only been around for what, a year?
But from the start of my time here you were pretty much just like the best staff I ever knew.

And had the best mafia games I ever knew. Ever.

I fare thee well in your travels, you magnificent German bastard.

• Thank You
  • Agree
Reactions: GmK and digi

Marvelfan01

Reaction score
Nooo GmK, oh well, all good things come to an end. I respect you so much for doing all that shit for us that yes, could probably fit in a book. One word that came to mind in your farewell was the Vampire server, damn was that fun for younger me. I remember a whole lot from Listings castle there. But seriously, thank you a ton. It's sad to see you go, but I know you probably are tired of the same old things. I hope you're happy with whatever you do next. You're an awesome guy, this community wouldn't be as great without you, I'm sure of it. You deserve ass-hat rumpling work.
I give you my Nickelodian's Kid's Choice Award.
[spoilerbb]
[/spoilerbb]

• Thank You

Faliara

Reaction score
I'm... I'm honestly surprised when I saw this.

I remember a period of time when I spammed you with profile posts. I eventually slowed down and stopped, but your replies could be pretty hilarious sometimes. It was a fun experience.

I kinda wished you named the reason, but you don't have to. After all, five years is amazing, but sometimes you have to hang up the hat.

I wonder though- will you still be stalking this forum at times?

• Agree
Reactions: GmK and Notme

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Oh well I just have to come out of hiding to reply to this thread, especially since you mentioned me!!

GmK oh GmK you beauty! It's been a long ride along this twisty turny road, hasn't it? I would apologise for destroying masses of your free time and probably sanity over the last five years but I can't bring myself to apologise for having a part in setting the chain of events in motion which led to the amazing positive impact you've had on not only this community but on people's lives within it, notably mine.

Back when we first met I was, to put it simply, a child. A child with an ounce of power on a little server and I don't see how you didn't hate me! Sure I might have thought I was mature but if I looked back on the forum posts or chat logs now, I would probably cringe very much so kudos for sticking with me. I learned a great deal from you about a wide range of things, you really were a role model for me. You were a rock, a place of stability and foundation I could go to for seeking advice or friendship and boy did you deliver. You've helped mould who I am today and I will be eternally grateful.

Whilst your two weeks as Head Controller of TNT with me were brief (and at an awkward time given I was on holiday for the first week!), I had a great time and I knew after you moved onto ASSHAT that it would suit you better and enable you to focus on the things you enjoyed most. You've done a hell of a lot to keep this community afloat over the good times and bad and I think that deserves a huge "THANK YOU!"

There are more things I'm sure I can and ought to say but we both have lives to get on with so unless anything profound hits me, this will have to do! All the best, even though you are the best.