Dota 2

Sasher

Reaction score
[bimg]http://img0.joyreactor.cc/pics/comment/Dota-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-Magina-the-Anti-Mage-1014374.png[/bimg]​
Noticing the lack of a Dota 2 thread here (with the exception of the one 2 years old), I've decided to start a new one. So, how 'bout them techies being released after TI4?

Last edited:

deathdoom13

Reaction score
Techies are gonna be like pheonix, a bunch of people will them play then slow down to a halt.

And this.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
  • Agree
Reactions: SparklyMuffinz

Swate

Llamasaur!
Reaction score
Website
www.iamawesome.com
I've only recently started playing this ^^ I mostly like to play Juggernaut (one thing I learnt from TF2 is everyone has that one class they like in the beginning, usually Sniper in both games lol, Jug is mine).

Sort of can't believe there wasn't already a Dota thread here either, I would've expected there to be.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I've only recently started playing this ^^ I mostly like to play Juggernaut (one thing I learnt from TF2 is everyone has that one class they like in the beginning, usually Sniper in both games lol, Jug is mine).

Sort of can't believe there wasn't already a Dota thread here either, I would've expected there to be.

I play support more than I do carry, my favourite hero is Lion for his ability to solo kill at level 6 <3
Plus with all his disables he remains pretty useful later into the game.

I've been experimenting with different builds on him, trying to find some sort of semi-carry build for him when in pub matches I somehow get thrown into that roles.

Don't ask me about ranked, I don't get into that at all. As it stands I play for fun and thats it at the moment!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Swate

Riketr

Reaction score
I do play this vs. bots, but the AI difficulties have a jump from passive (don't even put up a fight, no fun) to easy (that's intermediate bots in league) so um... yeah

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
How did I miss thread??

So, how 'bout them techies being released after TI4?
Is this for real this time? I've heard it so many times now... :p

This is so accurate though. I remember when I first started, there was always a Drow Ranger, Blood Seeker, Huskar, Riki... all those fun, silly, silly carries. Then someone picks a Spirit Breaker and it's like 'what the hell does that thing do?' (Speaking from experience, I used to never be able to beat SB and he was picked all the time for me. Obviously not the case now but still!) I started with Crystal Maiden and Lich though... Juggernaut is a great choice. :-) I can see someone not liking Dota if they started with Meepo or Invoker.

I do play this vs. bots, but the AI difficulties have a jump from passive (don't even put up a fight, no fun) to easy (that's intermediate bots in league) so um... yeah
Passive means they don't attack. :p Easy is still pretty basic stuff, it's mostly to learn how to play that hero. If you're trying to learn how to USE the hero in battles and such, it's better to practice with medium bots. They'll go for the kill if they see one; they're a tad more aggressive but they always stay in a bunch. Hard bots will actually harass you in lane. They'll also deny their creeps so you lose money/experience. Sometimes they'll even take Roshan. Unfair and hard bots aren't much different, to be honest. They're just more aggressive but not by much.

The bots have their own personalities too. The Drow Ranger bot will constantly harass you in lane with the Frost Arrows while a bot like Vengeful Spirit is more passive. Sven bot will also use his stun to randomly stun you. It's weird. The Sand King and Earthshaker bot will always waste their ults. Literally just use it on air. Makes no sense. The Witch Doctor bot doesn't know how his abilitiy "Maledict" works and the Chaos Knight bot will randomly use his Reality Rift on you in lane for no reason. Etc., etc.

Source: I've played a lot of bot matches.
ilovedisgameincasethatwasn'tobvious

Reactions: mariosatr and Swate

SparklyMuffinz

Reaction score
Well in the compendium it says after TI4, so who knows how long exactly after the TI4, but im hoping soon :p
I think I missed that. :eek: Where did they announce that?

I sort of stopped following the compendium prizes after we hit that $6m mark. :p But I'm still super excited for some of the things like the A-Z challenge support and the new game mode. Did you buy the compendium?

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think I missed that. :eek: Where did they announce that?

I sort of stopped following the compendium prizes after we hit that $6m mark. :p But I'm still super excited for some of the things like the A-Z challenge support and the new game mode. Did you buy the compendium?
Emptied half of my dota 2 backpack just to be able to afford one

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
Finally, a thread that's alive \o/
http://dotabuff.com/players/84147988

I play DotA 2 pretty often, usually with my IRL friends, often All Pick but if we have a full 5 then Captain's Mode. I've played around 600 matches but I'm still very trench tier (2.7k mmr). I'm very versatile in that I'm comfortable with pretty much every role, but I do have preferences: position 2 (mid) > position 1 (farming carry) > position 3 (offlaner) > position 4 (pulling support) > position 5 (offlane support). I don't really play certain heroes above others, my most played is Naix jungle but only 19 games so not many.
Out of everyone, I'd say my favourite characters are Shadow Fiend (assuming I don't die often - I'm useless without souls) and Spectre (6-0 so far with her, though not sure if I'm just against bad players or am a good Spectre player).

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
My Current Lion Loadout

If the new immortal for lion was purple instead of blue I would like it all that more, that being said its fun to turn people into fish so I don't mind it too much

Digitalis

Reaction score
There is no meta in dota.
You just made a point that makes Dota 2 superior to league. Having a meta that isn't as nearly as strict as league is fun. It means you don't always have to play against a Shyvana, Renekton, or Rengar top lane every. Single. Game. But anyways, this is a dota thread, not a moba comparison one.

I just recently got into Dota while playing LoL. I must say it's quite fun, although I've only played to level 6. I still have no clue to play this game. pls help

Sasher

Reaction score
Did you buy the compendium?
Yes I bought it, and its on the little progress bar on the second page of stretch mark goals that says it if I remember correctly. Also when I opened my immortal chest I got the Death Prophet skirt, which looks really cool but I was really hoping for the Storm Spirit hat :( or the dragon knight form

SparklyMuffinz

Reaction score
My Current Lion Loadout

If the new immortal for lion was purple instead of blue I would like it all that more, that being said its fun to turn people into fish so I don't mind it too much
Oh wow, you did get it. Did you get a chest and open it with pure luck or buy it? :p Which heroes did you get for your challenge?

I want to post my sets now too! :D Maybe I will after this post.

Out of everyone, I'd say my favourite characters are Shadow Fiend (assuming I don't die often - I'm useless without souls) and Spectre (6-0 so far with her, though not sure if I'm just against bad players or am a good Spectre player).
If only we were all as versatile... The moment two supports are picked, I'm sort of screwed. (Obviously doesn't happen often since this is Dota but it has before.) That's why I expanded out to tanky team fight heroes like Undying and Sand King [Not played in Role 5 ofc]. They are mega fun to play.)

I want to know what your build for SF is though. Do you go the BKB route?

Yes I bought it, and its on the little progress bar on the second page of stretch mark goals that says it if I remember correctly. Also when I opened my immortal chest I got the Death Prophet skirt, which looks really cool but I was really hoping for the Storm Spirit hat :( or the dragon knight form
Oh nice! Have you completed your hero challenge yet? I find some of the immortals are really cool and some not so much. The Tinker one is by far the best in my opinion. The DK one is also pretty cool but not many people like it for some reason... The CM is just... Ugh. :p It removes her hair and if just looks silly. Also the Warlock immortal... the animation is awesome but the staff itself is ew. The DP even gives her legs which I didn't like... I liked having her all ghost-like and it goes with 0 of her sets. Regardless, I'm glad they released these! You'll see a lot of these heroes played now in pubs because people have these items. The only problem is, they most likely don't know how to play the hero at all so.

If you ever want help playing, let me know! :) I'm only level 52 but I mostly play with level 110 people so I learned fast.

Last edited:

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
@SparklyMuffinz (I'm too much of a scrub to get quotes working)
My SF build is usually just Bottle -> Treads -> Lothars -> BKB then situational out of Butterfly, Skadi, Manta and Daedalus. I like to go Butterfly -> Skadi -> Daedalus because I don't really like Manta as an item and I'm never able to use it effectively, but Manta still works fine. I'm pretty sure it's standard to go Manta after BKB, actually, but it's still fine to go any of the above.
I'd say at least either Butterfly or Skadi before Daedalus, as even with BKB you are still squishy and need some survivability, whether in the form of evasion (Butterfly) or tankiness (Skadi).

SparklyMuffinz

Reaction score
mariosatr said:
My SF build is usually just Bottle -> Treads -> Lothars -> BKB then situational out of Butterfly, Skadi, Manta and Daedalus. I like to go Butterfly -> Skadi -> Daedalus because I don't really like Manta as an item and I'm never able to use it effectively, but Manta still works fine. I'm pretty sure it's standard to go Manta after BKB, actually, but it's still fine to go any of the above.
I'd say at least either Butterfly or Skadi before Daedalus, as even with BKB you are still squishy and need some survivability, whether in the form of evasion (Butterfly) or tankiness (Skadi).
Oh Daedalus... You don't go for Deso? I think the typical build involves BKB, Deso, Manta... but I do not like that one either (mostly because I do not like Manta). I really like Skadi on him though, which I guess is why you don't get Deso. That extra minus armor is really nice but it doesn't compare to letting you stay in the battle longer while dishing the damage. He hits hard with his souls and Skadi anyways. I feel like he is underestimated because people don't know how to play him properly. :p

--

And because I don't want to double posts, after an hour I finally am ready to post my sets! Some were mix and match though.

The staff is inscribed with Frostbitten enemies.
--

--

The bow is inscribed with multi-hero silences.
--

But I don't actually want the set, looking to trade it at the moment.
--

The horns are inscribed with Earth Split stuns.
--

--

--

Not getting that new piece he has because I find it hideous. :)
--

This isn't my favorite set of his but I use it until I can complete the other one I have.
--

(Part 1 End. . .)

• Winner
Reactions: mariosatr

SparklyMuffinz

Reaction score
(Part 2 . . .) Ended up double posting anyways because of the limit.

And now for my PRIDE AND JOY of sets:

Rampant is inscribed with heroes glimpsed back to the fountain. (I love this set hardcore)

This set took me over 2 months to get (because it was new and her weapon is an Immortal piece). By far my favorite. You can change the head piece to remove the helmet or change it to the crown and her wings can change from these fake ones to being clipped. It's aaawesome.

--
I have these ones as well but they're in bundles and I don't want to open them:

I recently became really interested in cosmetics. :p